• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Will USF fans have the patience with Skip . . .

SRQ

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  97,055
  • Days Won:  469

That's true...but you should remove the panic button then!  :)

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  21,103
  • Days Won:  39

That's true...but you should remove the panic button then!   :)

LOL!  I thought it was appropriate for this board.  It just bothers me when new coaching staffs come in and people don't give them time and watch what they are trying to do with a new scheme.  It's more of a personal irritation I have with sports in general.

I mean one freaking loss to Syracuse.  Do we need a Tebow-like promise to calm the fans down?

Well typically coaches are brought in to resurrect programs.   You know, programs that are 3-9, 2-10, etc.  This is a rare situation where a new coach comes in and takes over a program that, relatively speaking, was not in the ditch.  Some will say it was, but to the vast majority, it wasn't.  We wanted more, but we weren't an abyssmal team like Syracuse when they changed HCs.  Skip doesn't have the pleasure of having to improve on a 3-9 bowl-less season.  He's taking over a team that many thought had only been held back by the HC.  It's not a rebuilding, it's more of a takeover, and hence, for many higher expectations. 

In other words, this is nothing like the Stan Heath situation. 

Well typically coaches are brought in to resurrect programs.   You know, programs that are 3-9, 2-10, etc.  This is a rare situation where a new coach comes in and takes over a program that, relatively speaking, was not in the ditch.  Some will say it was, but to the vast majority, it wasn't.  We wanted more, but we weren't an abyssmal team like Syracuse when they changed HCs.  Skip doesn't have the pleasure of having to improve on a 3-9 bowl-less season.  He's taking over a team that many thought had only been held back by the HC.  It's not a rebuilding, it's more of a takeover, and hence, for many higher expectations. 

In other words, this is nothing like the Stan Heath situation. 

I am becoming an old fart so it is possible my memory is off, but I seem to remember our team last year being not that great.  I seem to remember a couple flat out disasters against PITT and RU and a bowl game against some team in another country where they had to wheel Mike Ford out of the garage to save the team.

I also think I remember sitting in the stands and looking at whether or not BJ could run around or not in the first quarter and then knowing whether or not we would win the game.  If a team could chase him sideline to sideline and force him to pass we lose. 

So maybe I am wrong, but I don't remember our offense being amazing last year.  It was very predictable and easy to stop.  We lost every year to the same teams and every year on the road to UCONN.  I expected this team to gut out some wins and recruit up this year and that's about it.

I didn't say we were fantastic.  All I am saying is this, like a few other replacements done this season, was not done because a team was in the ditch for a year or two or three and waiting another three would be nothing new to the fan base. 

This is a program that in its infancy and with its faults had by and large surprised and pleased a number of people nationwide and especially in the Bay Area that ultimately led to that sell out in 2007.  A team that has tasted national rankings in recent years.  A team that might have needed something new to get it over the hump, not rebuild it from scratch.

That will make it tougher for Holtz, I don't think everyone will share your opinion that it will or should take three years.  I understand why you say it, I'm just trying to give you the other perspective.

• Content Count:  2,016
  • Days Won:  0

Brian Kelly won 2 conference titles and had 3 10 win seasons in 3 years at UC.

Alright so let's hang in there for a few years.  Maybe one Big East game is too early to pull out the rug.

Brian Kelly in his first season took a 7 win team down to 4 wins as he retooled.  Skip will build the team up but this is a transition year. We won't see what the coaching staff can really do until next year. Meanwhile the Defense is even better this year than last year.  

Much more realistic.

I didn't say we were fantastic.  All I am saying is this, like a few other replacements done this season, was not done because a team was in the ditch for a year or two or three and waiting another three would be nothing new to the fan base. 

This is a program that in its infancy and with its faults had by and large surprised and pleased a number of people nationwide and especially in the Bay Area that ultimately led to that sell out in 2007.  A team that has tasted national rankings in recent years.   A team that might have needed something new to get it over the hump, not rebuild it from scratch.

That will make it tougher for Holtz, I don't think everyone will share your opinion that it will or should take three years.  I understand why you say it, I'm just trying to give you the other perspective.

Yeah and plus this is Tampa Bay where we must fire the coach at all times.  It's just that I have suffered through that offense for the past few years and it is so nice to see someone trying something different.  I would really like to see what they can do with some different players.

Hopefully we can get a surprise win against WVU and everyone will calm down.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  37,666
  • Days Won:  29

Coaching isn't the problem.

Think it was yesterday.

One game isn't making me change my thoughts about Coach.

Go BULLS!!!

Archived