• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Will USF fans have the patience with Skip . . .

SRQ

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  21,080
  • Days Won:  39

You have to give a new coach a few years to see what he can really do.  This is a silly question.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  958
  • Days Won:  0

I think it would not be fair to even think about throwing CSH off the bridge , not that I think you are implying that .  I think three years should be given at least so that he may recruit those who fit his system .   But then his recruiting prowess is another wait and see deal . Is he and his staff going to be able to pull in the BCS quality recruits on a consistent basis ?  I think Skip will but it will take time and time is the essence of live or die if you will. I mean like , I had rather Skip do it right within a reasonable time frame (Me  4 - 5 yrs )   But  that being said ,   :deadhorse  just wish he would do a temp patch work in the QB position ! Hell. I just can't seem to quit venting  . sorry  I let out some how or go knock my head against a wall. :P

We have not seen a performance like this in some time

I guess we missed a couple of those Big East games last year where our team didn't even show up.  At least this game was close.

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

To add to the UF analogy, if Tebow was the fit for his system, why has he lost 2 games with Brantley, who is way more like Leak than Tebow. (answer...the HC has to deal with pressure from fans, boosters, alumni, etc. the Brantley family is apparently legendary at UF).

Bulliever has it pegged, this program is still very young. Whatever you thought of Leavitt, there was stability with him. The fanbase had time to grow. He had his team prepared to play the BIG games, and the gimme games. The 50/50 games, who knows, but the fans will get over those if you throw them some upsets along the way. I don't know how far ahead of UCF/FIU/FAU/etc. that everyone thinks we are, but, we're not that far ahead. If we completely fall out of the national spot light, it's a huge loss for this program, and will take years to recover.

Having said that, I think that Skip Holtz was the best possible hire after Miller-gate 2010. I think he will get things going.

To answer the original question...I think the fans can endure a 3-9 season. The problem is going to be, will he hand it over to Gunsby next year and then have the excuse that he doesn't have any experience, or, do you get the kid some snaps right now, throw him out there, and try to move on with "your players" in your system. I'm fine with building something at 3-9. I am not OK with banging our heads against a wall with no changes and going 3-9. Compare it to the Cuse under Robinson vs Marrone in year 1. Fans couldn't endure seeing Robinson fail time after time. Marrone came in and, though their record wasn't much better, the fans could tell that they were building something. The Cuse is much improved, but they shouldn't have been on the field with 21 of our 22 starters yesterday.

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

With the history of a +24 average margin of victory against the league doormats, we can truly be proud this was close.  :)

Luckily or unluckily, the next game isn't that far off.  Time to regroup.

• Content Count:  958
  • Days Won:  0

Everyone calm down.  Holtz is looking out for all of us Bull fans.  He knows the economy is down so he made sure we would not spend our money on BCS Bowl tickets.  In the next few weeks he will save us further money.  The previous coach never looked out for us this way.  Thank-you Skip and best of luck trying to get your job at ND. 

Now that is down-right cruel .... 15 yard penalty for a personal foul against Skip  >:(

With the history of a +24 average margin of victory against the league doormats, we can truly be proud this was close.  :)

Is it possible that Syracuse is better this year whereas we are in a transitional period?  I don't know that the previous doormat vs. USF status applies.

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Brian Kelly won 2 conference titles and had 3 10 win seasons in 3 years at UC.

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

Is it possible that Syracuse is better this year whereas we are in a transitional period?  I don't know that the previous doormat vs. USF status applies.

The season will bear that out.  Only repeating what the announcers said on TV to the national audience.  Well, they didn't call Cuse doormats, thankfully.

To your other comment, if we have to wait 3 years to see decent football, it's gonna be very tough on this program.

Brian Kelly won 2 conference titles and had 3 10 win seasons in 3 years at UC.

Alright so let's hang in there for a few years.  Maybe one Big East game is too early to pull out the rug.

Archived