• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

GoUSFBulls.com: Scott Names Bohanon Bulls' Starter At Quarterback

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,559
  • Days Won:  423

22 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

To be a one and done he and the team must have a monster year and no one would complain about that. If he could single handedly carry a team with one FBS win in two years on his back , I think the NFL scouts would be watching.

Even though this team isn't a team with one FBS win in two years and I think a hopefully improved defense will need to be more of factor in the turning around than the qb position, I get your sentiment ....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,199
  • Days Won:  2

30 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Even though this team isn't a team with one FBS win in two years and I think a hopefully improved defense will need to be more of factor in the turning around than the qb position, I get your sentiment ....

I would agree....Defense cost us several games last year our offense was good enough for a 4+ win season with a freshmen qb and avg defense.  

Season hinges on play of defense first and Gerry second. Third our Oline...they are the weakest link on the offense even though all have a ton of experience. I'm worried that if it didn't click for senior year it won't click now. 

Edited by Bulls On Parade
  • Like 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,468
  • Days Won:  13

8 hours ago, Cubanbull said:

Agree.

Last year at Baylor

Bohanon 9 sacks out of 275 pass attempts= 3.3%

Shapen 7 out of 86= 8.1%

McClain last year 23 out of 262= 8.8%

Grothe in 2006 - 25 sacks out of 317 attempts (7.8%) - as red shirt freshman

Daniels in 2009 - 32 sacks out of 227 attempts (14.1%) - as red shirt freshman

Flowers in 2015 - 20 sacks out of 276 attempts (7.2%)  - technically his second season playing

Timmy was not that far out of line... considering he was one year younger than the above QBs.

7 hours ago, Outlaw said:

To be a one and done he and the team must have a monster year and no one would complain about that. If he could single handedly carry a team with one FBS win in two years on his back , I think the NFL scouts would be watching.

Six years is a long time to be a full time student... just saying.

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,815
  • Days Won:  22

1 hour ago, Jim Johnson said:

Grothe in 2006 - 25 sacks out of 317 attempts (7.8%) - as red shirt freshman

Daniels in 2009 - 32 sacks out of 227 attempts (14.1%) - as red shirt freshman

Flowers in 2015 - 20 sacks out of 276 attempts (7.2%)  - technically his second season playing

Timmy was not that far out of line... considering he was one year younger than the above QBs.

Yes and my point still is that Bohanon’s experience in reading defenses and quick passes limits sacks. This will still be his advantage over McClain

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  12,358
  • Days Won:  25

9 hours ago, Triple B said:

We have one win against FBS programs (Temple) in the last two years and two wins against FCS programs. . .So yes this is a one FBS win program over the last two years. So if carry does carry this team it will be him carrying a ONE FBS win team. Should we have did better sure? But bad schemes on offense and defense along with questionable play calls cost us a few wins. Lets hope Morris helps design an offense that excels that he ran at Clemson and SMU before flopping at Arkansas.

Edited by Outlaw

2 hours ago, Cubanbull said:

Yes and my point still is that Bohanon’s experience in reading defenses and quick passes limits sacks. This will still be his advantage over McClain

The "quick passes" is the function of the offense ... not the QB's ability, tho.

I agree that Bohannon has the edge, given that he's four years older than McClain.  I haven't seen enough of Bohannon to form an opinion whether he's a better QB or not.

McClain in 2024 should also be better than McClain in 2021.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  3,354
  • Days Won:  5

Bohannon has an edge because he appears to be the better quarterback.  We saw enough of McLain last year to see that he struggled with accuracy, with reads, with leading the offense.  Other than being a decent athlete I really don't see the comparison to the other 3 QBs you keep bringing up but we shall see.

Quick passes can absolutely be a product of the quarterback's ability.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,853
  • Days Won:  67

53 minutes ago, Jim Johnson said:

The "quick passes" is the function of the offense ... not the QB's ability, tho.

I agree that Bohannon has the edge, given that he's four years older than McClain.  I haven't seen enough of Bohannon to form an opinion whether he's a better QB or not.

McClain in 2024 should also be better than McClain in 2021.

He is simply bigger, stronger, older than Timmy, this guy will crush it this year, we win 6 at least maybe more, he  has an arm as well.  I think Timmy has a future but this dude can ball now, for anyone not able to see this is scary. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  953
  • Days Won:  1

On 7/30/2022 at 7:05 PM, Jim Johnson said:

I am not sure how you saw a regression when he started (NC State) with two interceptions when USF was in scoring territory... he got better as the season went on, but he made a lot of typical freshman mistakes.  Grothe's first full year as a starter he would lock in on one receiver too often ... he learned how to read his progressions.  Flower's freshman year he would throw it at the feet of his receivers, especially on sideline passes... he learned how to complete those passes.

I saw a QB who played 12 games last year. In the first 8 games, he threw 2 TDS and 2 INTs and was sacked 9 times while learning as he went; in the last 4 games he threw 3 TDS and 5 INTs and sacked 14 times. I also saw horrible in game decisions at the end of the year that was not made in the beginning of the year (like taking a sack at the end of the game with no time outs against UCF, at that point he had 12 games under his belt, there are no excuses). I understand that he was a true freshman and I agree that a year behind Gerry will be very beneficial for him; but, to say you think he will be the greatest USF QB ever based on what you saw this year is a stretch (Timmy had the lowest completion rate, lowest passing and rushing yards and worst TD:INT ratio when compared to Blackwell, Grothe and Flowers’ first years). I actually really like Timmy and I do think he can be a very good QB for us; he has the tools, and time will tell. 

• Like 1