• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

GoUSFBulls.com: Scott Names Bohanon Bulls' Starter At Quarterback

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  12,358
  • Days Won:  25

11 hours ago, Jim Johnson said:

I don't see Gerry staying for a sixth season of football... and I think a lot of Timmy mistakes were because the OL had problems with pass protection.  Timmy scrambled as well as Grothe and Flowers far too often.

I am not sure how you saw a regression when he started (NC State) with two interceptions when USF was in scoring territory... he got better as the season went on, but he made a lot of typical freshman mistakes.  Grothe's first full year as a starter he would lock in on one receiver too often ... he learned how to read his progressions.  Flower's freshman year he would throw it at the feet of his receivers, especially on sideline passes... he learned how to complete those passes.

A year behind Bohannon will be great for Timmy... he was thrown to the wolves because the QB room was so weak last year.  Freshmen QBs should nearly always redshirt or at least play limited action.

The same oline is returning. Gerry B will hopefully help them reach their potential with great QB play. I agree Timmy would really benefit to learn from Gerry. Gerry also is a great option QB and we should start using more option and motion plays to take advantage of the speed we have on offense.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,457

1 hour ago, Outlaw said:

The same oline is returning. Gerry B will hopefully help them reach their potential with great QB play. I agree Timmy would really benefit to learn from Gerry. Gerry also is a great option QB and we should start using more option and motion plays to take advantage of the speed we have on offense.

This is my main concern. Hopefully with the combination of a new OC and even more experience they will improve. Time will tell.

12 minutes ago, BDYZR said:

This is my main concern. Hopefully with the combination of a new OC and even more experience they will improve. Time will tell.

I agree they have experience and size. Maybe GB,  Chad Morris advising on offense,  and a new oc can help them improve with better schemes and play calling .

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,815
  • Days Won:  22

1 hour ago, Outlaw said:

If you look at the Baylor stats you can see that when Bohanon was in sacks diminished, it has to do not only with OL but the QB making quick reads and passes. I think we will see early on the difference as you will probably see both QBs play regardless of who is the starter.

• Like 1

Just now, Cubanbull said:

If you look at the Baylor stats you can see that when Bohanon was in sacks diminished, it has to do not only with OL but the QB making quick reads and passes. I think we will see early on the difference as you will probably see both QBs play regardless of who is the starter.

I watched a lot of his highlights and play from last year, this is why I do not see any way possible Timmy takes the job from him outside of an injury.

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,815
  • Days Won:  22

4 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

I watched a lot of his highlights and play from last year, this is why I do not see any way possible Timmy takes the job from him outside of an injury.

Agree.

Last year at Baylor

Bohanon 9 sacks out of 275 pass attempts= 3.3%

Shapen 7 out of 86= 8.1%

McClain last year 23 out of 262= 8.8%

Edited by Cubanbull
  • Like 1

Gerry is the biggest beacon of hope for the team this year. Second is a new defense that attacks instead of sits back 5 to 7 yards every play.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,559
  • Days Won:  423

35 minutes ago, Cubanbull said:

Agree.

Last year at Baylor

Bohanon 9 sacks out of 275 pass attempts= 3.3%

Shapen 7 out of 86= 8.1%

McClain last year 23 out of 262= 8.8%

Even though the percentages are a tiny bit off because you have to add the sack number to the pass attempts, the spirit of the comparison is there. It definitely shows the advantage that maturity at that position can/should have. Personally, I won't mind if GB is a one and done here, handing the reins over to one of the "kids" to allow them to grow into the job. There's no better teacher than experience ....

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Even though the percentages are a tiny bit off because you have to add the sack number to the pass attempts, the spirit of the comparison is there. It definitely shows the advantage that maturity at that position can/should have. Personally, I won't mind if GB is a one and done here, handing the reins over to one of the "kids" to allow them to grow into the job. There's no better teacher than experience ....

To be a one and done he and the team must have a monster year and no one would complain about that. If he could single handedly carry a team with one FBS win in two years on his back , I think the NFL scouts would be watching.

Edited by Outlaw