• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Poll: Do you believe CJS will be a successful coach at USF?

Do you believe CJS will be a successful coach at USF?  

117 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  2,430
  • Days Won:  3

Brad
This post was recognized by Brad!

zarnozdabull was awarded the badge 'Conversation Starter' and 10 points.

Time to put all the chips on the table. Let's where the fanbase's general gut feeling is on the future of CJS. Not "well he's sucked so far but...", no "I want to wait and see." Based on your gut feeling, what you've seen, the "culture change", etc. do you think CJS will have USF compete for a conference title while he's the HC at USF? I personally felt Strong was going to be a disaster the second we hired him and he wanted to slow down the offense and couldn't put a sentence together during his press conferences, but my gut is telling me that CJS will eventually succeed here, even though his record says otherwise. I don't know, it just feel different. So if you had to bet right now, no middle ground, do you think CJS will succeed as USF HC, yes or no? 

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  47
  • Days Won:  0

Yes, I do think he will be successful. It’s hard (almost impossible) to take a position on something like this given the current situation, but I think there’s a lot to look forward to.

I hate bringing up Clemson to support CJS stuff, but look at where Clemson was after losing to USF in the car care bowl. The foundation of what made them take off was good coaching and creating that family of a program, which CJS was a really important part of.

You can’t copy and paste the same story, but I think CJS has the mentality to build a foundation and is trying to get the infrastructure to support it. I think USF will be back in conference championship contention in the next 2-3 years, especially with some programs leaving to fellow G6 conference the Big 12. (Lol)

The difference in recruit quality in just one year is astounding. If we got Timmy & Jimmy under this type of team, imagine what is possible. The penalties are also less than before.

Feel free to roast me for this but this is just my perspective 

• Like 1
  • Go Bulls! 2

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  2,409
  • Days Won:  22

5 minutes ago, HOTDL said:

You can’t copy and paste the same story, but I think CJS has the mentality to build a foundation and is trying to get the infrastructure to support it. I think USF will be back in conference championship contention in the next 2-3 years, especially with some programs leaving to fellow G6 conference the Big 12. (Lol)

I hope your right, the Big 12 is probably adding 2-4 more teams around then and we can't afford to have just fired a coach and still suck

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  12,397
  • Days Won:  25

14 minutes ago, zarnozdabull said:

Time to put all the chips on the table. Let's where the fanbase's general gut feeling is on the future of CJS. Not "well he's sucked so far but...", no "I want to wait and see." Based on your gut feeling, what you've seen, the "culture change", etc. do you think CJS will have USF compete for a conference title while he's the HC at USF? I personally felt Strong was going to be a disaster the second we hired him and he wanted to slow down the offense and couldn't put a sentence together during his press conferences, but my gut is telling me that CJS will eventually succeed here, even though his record says otherwise. I don't know, it just feel different. So if you had to bet right now, no middle ground, do you think CJS will succeed as USF HC, yes or no? 

I have zero evidence he will win games or be successful.  The only thing I can say he seems to care and be more involved with the team and program. I am not sure that directly correlates to wins but it can't hurt . Let's hope he becomes put best coach ever, but I am very suspect.  I give him to the end of year to see a drastic improvement of the product on the field or not.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

I think he will get there but not in the time frame of the “I want it now” society would like. Two/three wins this year, five/six wins next year, seven/+ wins in three years. I do wish our out of conference schedule was a little weaker but maybe we can leverage that to get better players. Last, once successful, I also think he is going to stay a while as seems vested in the USF community like no coach has been before. 

Edited by NewEnglandBull
  • Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,756
  • Days Won:  25

Who knows? Somebody have a crystal ball to figure this one out? 

spacer.png

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,199
  • Days Won:  2

Absolutely no evidence yet but my gut says he will succeed.

Team appears to slowly be getting better.

He inherited a bad team unlike Strong and Holtz and this is a total rebuild. 

I'm looking forward to seeing this  team have its Syracuse moment and they learn how to win and click as a team.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,704
  • Days Won:  6

I have seen absolutely nothing from Jeff Scott or his staff so far, so I have voted no.

• Topic Count:  108
  • Content Count:  2,484
  • Days Won:  1

I think he will be successful. I think he took over a hot mess that was far worse off than what we really knew. From a culture to talent...the entire program was lacking. When you look at the recruiting from 2016 to 2020, it was a constant downward trend from where Taggart was 2013-2015. Those classes are why there was success 2015-2017. I remember Taggart saying when he got here, he was bench pressing more than some offensive lineman! 

I was on the fence about Strong's hiring. I thought maybe we could get Louisville Strong and not Texas Strong. It only took his initial press conference to make my decision that the hire was  bad choice. 

Scott has improved the recruiting quickly and has the transfer portal to help out. I think this season will show the progression. Even Scott himself said this is a multi-year project. Quick fixes have quick collapses as well. I say give him time. You guys see the players...they are smaller than they should be. Most are not Scott's recruits. This is a slow build that needs a solid foundation. Also COVID has allowed players to stay longer, taking away from this (2022) recruiting class. It will be small but I also think it will be big on transfer portal again.

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  2,409
  • Days Won:  22

5 minutes ago, BiggTipp said:

Also COVID has allowed players to stay longer, taking away from this (2022) recruiting class. It will be small but I also think it will be big on transfer portal again.

Yeah I think all but 4 starters have the ability to come back next year due to the extra covid year. If we can start showing some progress this year and get all those guys to come back we could have some nice depth/continuity going on next season.