• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Poll: Do you believe CJS will be a successful coach at USF?

Do you believe CJS will be a successful coach at USF?  

117 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,265
  • Days Won:  255

Just now, Friscobull said:

He may get a hummer with that approach.

Hopefully they don’t get confused 

• Haha 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,636
  • Days Won:  424

2 hours ago, puc86 said:

Just pretend that’s what the social security checks are for

Actually haven't tapped that source yet. On the agenda for 2022 ...

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  94
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  11

10 hours ago, USFRaider said:

Of course you are going to think all of this and sing his praises because you had dinner with the guy and you are starry eyed. You will probably buy whatever he is selling you because he paid for the tab. It is laughable that you can claim a foundation is being built when this guy doesn’t even have an FBS win. I only believe in what I can see and so far I have seen horrible , piss-poor results. Wake me up when this team can actually beat someone .

Nah, I'm not starry eyed. I still have concerns about him, the biggest one being whether he and his assistants will get better at the X's and O's. One if the things that helped Leavitt to win was he put in huge amounts of time into watching film and devising game plans against what he analyzed in opposing teams (most of the time). He occasionally did get bested by the other side, not just the athletes on the field. Playcalling can be a very complicated chess match. I don't love what I've seen so far of that, but I also realize we don't yet have the best players we can get on the field and we aren't yet getting the best of what we can out of them. I'm not sophisticated enough in my understanding of the game to know whether the playcalling has failed the players on the field, or it's the other way around. I also realize most of the staff is young and learning and gaining experience. Keep in mind it is CJS' first head coaching job - there will be growing pains. Leavitt had years against lesser competition to work out all those kinks a new head coach has to learn. So no, not starry eyed. Just explaining that the right building blocks are there for something great. It remains to be seen whether that potential is ultimately realized, but it is far too soon to EXPECT that it should be by now.

Edited by FazaUSF
Spelling
  • Upvote 4
  • ???? 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,636
  • Days Won:  424

4 minutes ago, FazaUSF said:

I'm not sophisticated enough in my understanding of the game to know whether the playcalling has failed the players on the field, or it's the other way around.

I'm not that sophisticated enough either, and doubt very many on this board are, but I've seen plays that were there but failed because of execution, so at the very least it's a combination ...

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,885
  • Days Won:  67

53 minutes ago, FazaUSF said:

Nah, I'm not starry eyed. I still have concerns about him, the biggest one being whether he and his assistants will get better at the X's and O's. One if the things that helped Leavitt to win was he put in huge amounts of time into watching film and devising game plans against what he analyzed in opposing teams (most of the time). He occasionally did get bested by the other side, not just the athletes on the field. Playcalling can be a very complicated chess match. I don't love what I've seen so far of that, but I also realize we don't yet have the best players we can get on the field and we aren't yet getting the best of what we can out of them. I'm not sophisticated enough in my understanding of the game to know whether the playcalling has failed the players on the field, or it's the other way around. I also realize most of the staff is young and learning and gaining experience. Keep in mind it is CJS' first head coaching job - there will be growing pains. Leavitt had years against lesser competition to work out all those kinks a new head coach has to learn. So no, not starry eyed. Just explaining that the right building blocks are there for something great. It remains to be seen whether that potential is ultimately realized, but it is far too soon to EXPECT that it should be by now.

This is a fair take and agree with most of what you said.  My biggest concern is we don’t have the players regardless of when or if CJS and the assistants get their coaching chops. CWT had that one great pull in his first full recruiting year and unfortunately we did not see that bump with CJS.  At the end of the day if you can’t out coach your competition, you can out athlete them in a G5 conference and I really don’t see the building blocks to do either of these things right now or anytime in the near future. 

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  47
  • Days Won:  0

To keep CJS in the clear with this kind of conversation, the team needs to not be shutout tonight. I hope that’s not too much to ask for lol

3 minutes ago, HOTDL said:

To keep CJS in the clear with this kind of conversation, the team needs to not be shutout tonight. I hope that’s not too much to ask for lol

I am looking for respectability however feel this is a reach unfortunately.  Please for the love of god prove some of us naysayers wrong.  I am tired of going into games knowing that we have no chance.  

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

1 minute ago, Friscobull said:

I am looking for respectability however feel this is a reach unfortunately.  Please for the love of god prove some of us naysayers wrong.  I am tired of going into games knowing that we have no chance.  

Yeah, but we're going to win the culture battle tonight. And that's what matters.

6 minutes ago, JTrue said:

Yeah, but we're going to win the culture battle tonight. And that's what matters.

It is comforting to know that I am not the only cynical wise ass on the board, thanks Jtrue 😀and the good news is I will probably remember very little of this game tonight and I would imagine you will be in the same boat. 

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

1 minute ago, Friscobull said:

It is comforting to know that I am not the only cynical wise ass on the board, thanks Jtrue 😀and the good news is I will probably remember very little of this game tonight and I would imagine you will be in the same boat. 

Yup... 10:15 and USF football is going to be a tough combo to stay clear headed for.