• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Poll: Do you believe CJS will be a successful coach at USF?

Do you believe CJS will be a successful coach at USF?  

117 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,704
  • Days Won:  6

26 minutes ago, MoneyBull83 said:

The thread asked if we see the potential in HCJS to be successful here long term. Even after only two wins in 365+ days, I can firmly say the answer to that question is yes. Lots of positives outside the W column to indicate this, hopefully it translates over soon and we can get back to winning more consistently. Could be wrong, but just wanted to answer honestly, based on my gut.

Can you list some of those positives?  I am geniunely curious

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  184
  • Days Won:  0

4 minutes ago, USFRaider said:

Can you list some of those positives?  I am geniunely curious

Sure.

Tangible first
Players and coaches not getting in physical altercations with each other on the sidelines.

Players not quitting when a game is 'Over'; general effort seems to be better
Progressive improvement from game to game (So far) in 2021. Many freshman playing and being put in position to be successful

In tangibles next
HCJS came from a winning program with a winning culture, he has successfully brought that to USF
Talent coming in seems to be much better than that going out
General comments about the type of person HCJS is and how he interacts with his players and thier families, leads by example etc

Just a few from the top of my head. Go Bulls. 

• Upvote 1
  • Go Bulls! 2

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,704
  • Days Won:  6

11 minutes ago, MoneyBull83 said:

Sure.

Tangible first
Players and coaches not getting in physical altercations with each other on the sidelines.

Players not quitting when a game is 'Over'; general effort seems to be better
Progressive improvement from game to game (So far) in 2021. Many freshman playing and being put in position to be successful

In tangibles next
HCJS came from a winning program with a winning culture, he has successfully brought that to USF
Talent coming in seems to be much better than that going out
General comments about the type of person HCJS is and how he interacts with his players and thier families, leads by example etc

Just a few from the top of my head. Go Bulls. 

All good and valid points.  However I disagree with you on a few of the intangibles. First of all, a winning culture is not going to be here until the team actually starts winning FBS games.  If we were in the FCS, I would agree with you.  But the team under Jeff Scott has yet to win a single FBS game, and until that happens, I still consider this team to be in a losing culture.

Second, how Coach Scott interacts with players and their families is all fine and good and leading by example is great, but without actually winning football games, all of that rah rah crap is worthless. He needs to start winning and it needs to happen very very soon, before the last of the fan base decides they would rather spend their money on the Bucs and the Lightning.

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  140

5 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

as seems vested in the USF community like no coach has been before. 

Not sure if this was a slight on the guy who built the program and can't remember his contributions to the community so that line may make your statement true.  As far as love for the team and USF, I don't think anyone will top Leavitt.....maybe equal him at best some day.

I guess the test will be once Coach Scott raises the team to great levels *and I root for and hope he does) if he decides to stay when the big programs start calling such as Alabama did when we had Leavitt.  He turned them down due to his unwavering love for USF and would have retired a Bull similar to what Bowden did once he established himself at FSU.  Seems FSU's coaching woes are quite similar to ours lately in that they had an established coach who was never going to leave except when he had to and then followed by moderate success with the next guy in Jimbo (ours with Taggart instead of Holtz) and then floundered with the next couple coachs at FSU (ironically one being Taggart).

Edited by pistonpete

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  847
  • Days Won:  1

3 hours ago, DELdaBull said:

Where is the undecided option? 

On second thought, if there was a undecided button, i might have hesitated a bit :)

youre-either-with-us-or-against-us.jpg

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  9,896
  • Content Count:  66,077
  • Days Won:  172

he will be successful here and other coaching stops he has

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  280
  • Days Won:  1

The faster he can get this team bowl eligible, the faster he can move to a new university. He isn't here for more than 2-3 total years tops.

He wants to pull a Taggart and get this program above .500 and go to a new school.

This is why we need culture at this school, somehow or some way. Because we will ALWAYS be a revolving door school for head football coaches.

They'll be here 2 years if they suck, 3 years if they are good... and then they are gone.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  3,393
  • Days Won:  3

11 minutes ago, MikePhillips said:

He isn't here for more than 2-3 total years

Hmmm... I assume you mean 2-3 years after he gets the team bowl eligible?  At this rate, he will get fired (I hope he turns it around) and we won't have to worry about him moving to another school on his own. 

Edited by Sk00b

• Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  740

I believe in the potential of CJS. I still think he's the right guy to build our program around. And the longer it takes for the program to be built, the more sustainable it could be long-term after he's gone (unless we hire another Holtz or Strong). Willie didn't get the bus rolling until halfway through his third season. Scott deserves as much patience, perhaps even more given the lower point the program is starting from (Willie took over a team that was in a BCS conference the year prior. Scott's took over a team I think 8 years removed from that kind of stature, and with stronger UCF/FAU/FIU programs to contend with for recruiting).

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  94
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  11

On 9/23/2021 at 2:24 PM, USFRaider said:

All good and valid points.  However I disagree with you on a few of the intangibles. First of all, a winning culture is not going to be here until the team actually starts winning FBS games.  If we were in the FCS, I would agree with you.  But the team under Jeff Scott has yet to win a single FBS game, and until that happens, I still consider this team to be in a losing culture.

Second, how Coach Scott interacts with players and their families is all fine and good and leading by example is great, but without actually winning football games, all of that rah rah crap is worthless. He needs to start winning and it needs to happen very very soon, before the last of the fan base decides they would rather spend their money on the Bucs and the Lightning.

With all due respect, and I mean that, this is why you're good at what you do, and not necessarily a legendary college football coach. Lots of examples in leadership, especially sports leadership, demonstrating that culture comes first and winning follows. Nobody sustains a winning program without a great organizational culture. It is true that great culture may not result in wins. But it is a must-have component for sustained success, and it is exactly what we've been missing since Leavitt left. The intangibles surrounding the program are very encouraging and growing right now. I get it - you're a W-column/L-column guy. It'll take another year or two before the fruits of the past year's labor will pay off. But it will be worth it, and we'd otherwise be looking at another rotating-door figurehead likely bouncing at year 3-4. If that happened again, any brief success would highly risk being fleeting, as we saw with the transition from Taggart to Strong.

CJS is building a real foundation. The house won't go up as quickly as a log cabin, but the concrete foundation and block external walls will withstand the test of time and weather the storms far better. Don't get preoccupied with the log cabin to the east. We are down right now, but far from out, and we finally have a coach willing to put down roots and put in the sweat equity to sustain success here. Dang, it's about time! 

Edited by FazaUSF
Fixed a missing word
  • Like 1
  • ???? 1