• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Timmy McClain

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  111
  • Content Count:  2,016
  • Days Won:  0

Brad
This post was recognized by Brad!

Buller64 was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 10 points.

Ok, I waited a few days before posting because of all the doom and gloom that constantly prevails on this site. I went into the game looking for progress and saw some areas of progress and other areas in need of improvement. Here is a breakdown.

QB - Grade C- - Fortin did not play well, McClain moved the offense into the red zone twice before making an ill-advised pass to end both drives. Completion percentage for both QBs wasn't that good

RB - Grade D - Blocking by the backs was not very good, while we could get to the outside on occasion we had no inside (inside the tackles) run game at all, our best runs were off tackle plays

WR - Grade B - Receivers ran their routes and got open, They even made some plays on poorly thrown balls

OL - Grade B- - NC State did not have a sack in the entire game, The number of pressures were low, the run game needs some work, maybe its the backs, but I did not see OL pushing the defense off the ball, a distressingly high number of runs were 0 or negative yards

DB - Grade D - There was a lot of trouble covering receivers, especially downfield, safety's did not provide a lot of run support probably because they had to play a bit deeper than normal to aid the corners, This group has speed and some size but they still learning how to play

LB - B- - They were all over the place trying to make plays, this sometimes put them out of position, tackling was much improved, you didn't see the broken tackles as much as last year, it was more getting there through blockers that resulted in big yardage

DL - C - The only reason the DLl gets a C is because the left side of the DL did ok, the right side of the DL was continually being blown off the line of scrimmage, NC State only had success running to the left with misdirection, rushing the QB was decent and improved as the game went on, most of the pressure came from the left side of the line (the right side of the NC State OL has two pro prospects so that needs to be considered)

ST - Punting was good and coverage was decent, no evaluation on kick-offs or punt returns, Kick returns were not good, NC state got to the returners far too easily

Coaching - Much improved over last year. While the performance wasn't that great, this year the players knew their assignments, took better angles, and the lines used good techniques, On defense pass coverage was poor but not because players didn't know their assignments they just don't seem to know how to cover and react, Spencer is in a tough spot, you need more pressure on the QB but you also need more people in coverage while the DBs learn. Offense, play calling needs some work still, fundamentals are much better than last year, Attitude is also much better

I know that USF got creamed but I was looking for improvement and I saw some, right now USF is going to beat badly by the P5 schools, but this is not unexpected, I was actually encouraged by the fact that there were some plays out there. Remember we are trying to play P5 schools with Big Sky level talent in far too many positions.

Edited by Buller64
  • Upvote 4

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

37 minutes ago, Buller64 said:

Ok, I waited a few days before posting because of all the doom and gloom that constantly prevails on this site. I went into the game looking for progress and saw some areas of progress and other areas in need of improvement. Here is a breakdown.

QB - Grade C- - Fortin did not play well, McClain moved the offense into the red zone twice before making an ill-advised pass to end both drives. Completion percentage for both QBs wasn't that good

RB - Grade D - Blocking by the backs was not very good, while we could get to the outside on occasion we had no inside (inside the tackles) run game at all, our best runs were off tackle plays

WR - Grade B - Receivers ran their routes and got open, They even made some plays on poorly thrown balls

OL - Grade B- - NC State did not have a sack in the entire game, The number of pressures were low, the run game needs some work, maybe its the backs, but I did not see OL pushing the defense off the ball, a distressingly high number of runs were 0 or negative yards

DB - Grade D - There was a lot of trouble covering receivers, especially downfield, safety's did not provide a lot of run support probably because they had to play a bit deeper than normal to aid the corners, This group has speed and some size but they still learning how to play

LB - B- - They were all over the place trying to make plays, this sometimes put them out of position, tackling was much improved, you didn't see the broken tackles as much as last year, it was more getting there through blockers that resulted in big yardage

DL - C - The only reason the DLl gets a C is because the left side of the DL did ok, the right side of the DL was continually being blown off the line of scrimmage, NC State only had success running to the left with misdirection, rushing the QB was decent and improved as the game went on, most of the pressure came from the left side of the line (the right side of the NC State OL has two pro prospects so that needs to be considered)

ST - Punting was good and coverage was decent, no evaluation on kick-offs or punt returns, Kick returns were not good, NC state got to the returners far too easily

Coaching - Much improved over last year. While the performance wasn't that great, this year the players knew their assignments, took better angles, and the lines used good techniques, On defense pass coverage was poor but not because players didn't know their assignments they just don't seem to know how to cover and react, Spencer is in a tough spot, you need more pressure on the QB but you also need more people in coverage while the DBs learn. Offense, play calling needs some work still, fundamentals are much better than last year, Attitude is also much better

I know that USF got creamed but I was looking for improvement and I saw some, right now USF is going to beat badly by the P5 schools, but this is not unexpected, I was actually encouraged by the fact that there were some plays out there. Remember we are trying to play P5 schools with Big Sky level talent in far too many positions.

Thanks for the post.  I think a C- is gratuitous for the QB's considering no points were scored, but I did like the analysis.  McClain was 7-13, that includes the 2 ill advised int's in the red zone.  I think he missed on a deep ball.  I thought his accuracy was ok. 

Not giving the "much improved" to the coaching just yet.  I thought there was some improvement in the talent on the field, but we'll see how that parlays to our play as the season progresses.  So I would give the coaching an Incomplete at best.

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

OL still had Fortin running for his life most of the game. McClain was able to scramble a bit more. Our DL was gassed by the 2nd half. Thought we lost the game in the trenches.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,815
  • Days Won:  22

1 hour ago, Buller64 said:

Agree with you on many assessments, the plays were there early we just couldn’t connect. We were heavily overmatched in the lines and will be again this week. We will know better how much improvement this team has done after this week when we start playing teams closer to our current talent.

• Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  538
  • Days Won:  1

A little more on this Timmy McClain topic... His senior season would be the first season of the new look AAC, unless the other three buy out early at 10 million a year. If we can build a foundation, stability, and depth over the next few years... With a veteran QB we could have a pretty decent shot at the first go around in the newly put together AAC.

Jumping way ahead here, but that's just the timeline we are currently looking at compared to this roster

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

1 hour ago, MSBulls said:

A little more on this Timmy McClain topic... His senior season would be the first season of the new look AAC, unless the other three buy out early at 10 million a year. If we can build a foundation, stability, and depth over the next few years... With a veteran QB we could have a pretty decent shot at the first go around in the newly put together AAC.

Jumping way ahead here, but that's just the timeline we are currently looking at compared to this roster

That’s a good point he will be peaking then. Also if they buy out early they will have to pay out more than $10 mil. As I recall Uconn did that and paid $16 mil I believe. 

• Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  538
  • Days Won:  1

17 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

That’s a good point he will be peaking then. Also if they buy out early they will have to pay out more than $10 mil. As I recall Uconn did that and paid $16 mil I believe. 

Got it, I thought I read 10 mill somewhere... Either way it's a nice payday for the conference between all 3. If they all choose to buy out a year early, then it should line up with his Junior season which is what they're expecting them to do now. We could be on a up turn hopefully at the right time for once

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

If McClain is not the starter going forward........

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

4 minutes ago, DELdaBull said:

Got to be, he will make some poor decisions and throws at time but I can live with that. Love the fact he can move! 

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

4 minutes ago, DELdaBull said:

Yup. I think it’s extremely clear to anybody watching.