• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Timmy McClain

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,466
  • Days Won:  25

On 9/11/2021 at 10:31 PM, Roaming Bull said:

No doubts that we will be better with McClain in there. He can run, throw the ball, and seems to be growing.

Cade reminds me of a combination of Bench and White, and not in a good way. I was kind of worried they were going to crush him today. His pocket presence is meh, throws seem ok if he has lots of time, but he can’t run. Coach can keep denying reality and trying to make it work, or we can play the guy who gives us a shot right out of the gate. 

McClain has been a winner and he still carries that confidence. He doesn’t understand that he’s supposed to lose yet. Cade is already playing with a loser mentality and I think that’s a big difference between the two.

This ↑ Makes a ton of difference and the players around the QB can feel it.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

On 9/11/2021 at 10:15 PM, CousinRicky said:

The thing that bothers me with Fortin is that when we run the read option with him there is no threat of him keeping it so the defense just follows the ball carrier.  I can't remember one time in the first half he held onto the ball himself.  At least there is the threat with McClain. As for passing accuracy I don't have a problem with Fortin.  TMc doesn't seem to have that in game yet. But that one deep ball to Weaver(?) was spot on.

Yea I watched some of game again Fortin had a read option he clearly could have kept ball on 3rd down and 1 and gotten the first down but he gives to rb and he loses a yard. Happened late in first quarter. 

He is playing afraid to take a hit. He actually can run we have seen it last year. 

Edited by Bulls On Parade

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

This is a double post in case you missed it-

Guest Jonesy Bull

I'm with most everybody else on this topic.  Timmy seems to be our best hope for the future, most talented, best suited for high up tempo, multi dimensional, and brings a different level of excitement to the game.......Start him, play him until he really starts F-ing up......take him out for a few plays, and then play him some more until he figures it out.  

Freshmen = Growing Pains

But future benefits outweigh the Bad imo.

• Topic Count:  91
  • Content Count:  1,716
  • Days Won:  9

54 minutes ago, Bulls On Parade said:

Yea I watched some of game again Fortin had a read option he clearly could have kept ball on 3rd down and 1 and gotten the first down but he gives to rb and he loses a yard. Happened late in first quarter. 

He is playing afraid to take a hit. He actually can run we have seen it last year. 

Does he ever keep it and run? It seems to me Fortin always hands it off even when there's a clear opportunity not to.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  47
  • Days Won:  0

27 minutes ago, &rew Bull said:

Does he ever keep it and run? It seems to me Fortin always hands it off even when there's a clear opportunity not to.

Wouldn't in game coaching help with his decision making on rpo plays

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  2,409
  • Days Won:  22

5 minutes ago, William Armstrong said:

Wouldn't in game coaching help with his decision making on rpo plays

Could be the fact he's been injured every year since he broke his leg his senior year of high school. At this point he could have some mental block causing him to play too cautiously. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

1 minute ago, bulloni said:

Could be the fact he's been injured every year since he broke his leg his senior year of high school. At this point he could have some mental block causing him to play too cautiously. 

I think you hit the nail on the head.  He plays way too tentative while McClain seems to have no fear.

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  126
  • Days Won:  0

I didn't get to watch the game, but I listened to it and it seems he played well, a few drops and non pass interference calls, but pretty clean on his part. We will have to see if he continues to develop for the BYU game and then into the conference schedule. Go Bulls!

• Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

2 hours ago, RoyD3 said:

I didn't get to watch the game, but I listened to it and it seems he played well, a few drops and non pass interference calls, but pretty clean on his part. We will have to see if he continues to develop for the BYU game and then into the conference schedule. Go Bulls!

Yes, Timmy played well.  He only played 3 quarters, for whatever reason Scott put Marsh in the game, who did nothing the entire 4th quarter.  Timmy stats were OK 12/23 for 163 and a TD with 51 yards rushing also, but he also had a lot of drops by receivers.  I went back and rewatched the first 3 quarters and the offense moved efficiently with him in there most of the time.  It's just fun to watch McClain.  He will have his ups and downs, but I believe USF finally has a QB for the next several years.

Fortin is done as a USF starter unless there are injuries.

Edited by BullsFanInTX