• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Josh Newberg's Take on Coaching Search

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,558
  • Days Won:  423

47 minutes ago, USFStPete said:

Let's not forget that Taggart was a game away from being fired

....... smh

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  740
  • Days Won:  0

1 hour ago, USFStPete said:

Let's not forget that Taggart was a game away from being fired when Flowers and Mack came along to save his job.  These are once-in-a-decade players.  His record without players like this speaks for itself, mainly because he's not a good team manager or Xs and Os guy.  Not to mention, he was running an offense that was successful in its early days, but has been seen all over the country now.

If you can promise me a Flowers and Mack again next year, then I'd consider bringing him back.  Otherwise why would we go with a retread who has obvious deficiencies?

Yeah I don't think people remember how much pressure was building to that Homecoming game vs Syracuse, 2015.

Season started 1-3, Taggart was 5-21. Frustration was mounting. There was a lot of speculation about his future should he lose that Homecoming game and start the season 1-4. Of course, he would go on a 17-4 run starting with this game. This game, where for the first time QF truly took over and balled out. From there, the offense broke free and never looked back.

The most significant single game in Taggart's tenure, dare I say.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,756
  • Days Won:  25

What’s TJ making in the big leagues? What are the chance we can pull him into the fold?

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  953
  • Days Won:  6

This thread is legitimately a broken record. All of these points have been made and counter arguments throughly exhausted... "No retreads" "Bring back Levitt" "Slick Willie talked trash" "CWT was a few NFL caliber athletes away from being fired" / "CWT had success here and he would again" "Levitt is never coming back" "No proof of trash talk" "Every solid team is riding stud players"

I'll be so glad when we get a coach so we all can just be excited for the rebuild. I personally hope we get CWT back. Just makes the most financial and cultural sense to me. Winning fixes almost everything, and I'm sure once that score board starts lighting up, and the wins start piling up, you won't care what catch phrases or gimmicks come this way.

Let's all just enjoy the hope of a better season. Shoot I hope we have some of that SMU luck and turn this thing around in a heartbeat. 

Edited by TromBull12
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

10 hours ago, Bull Dozer said:

FSU fans honestly thought they were a coach away from reliving the Jameis run. That job was always going to to take at least 2 seasons of rebuilding just due to what Jimbo did on the way out the door the last couple years. Not to mention the cultural rot in the locker room. If they don't bring in a name coach like Bob Stoops or Franklin the fan base won't be happy and at the first sign of adversity they will break out the pitchforks again and the FSU media will be ready to to throw gas in on the fire like they did with Taggart to get their precious clicks. It's honesty a pretty toxic job up there now... 

agree. that program is a mess

they thought they were going to get some top shelf coach like stoops or franklin. they won't.

even the iowa state coach got an extension to stay.

they will get Norvell who is no different than Taggart except he walked into a perfect situation at memphis where fuente set him up for success.

they are in need of  a rebuild and Taggart would have been better for that.

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

8 hours ago, USFStPete said:

You don't pay someone $20M to get lost after 2 years just to appease the media.  I honestly think they realized very early on the mistake they made and how poor of a gameday coach he is, which he was with us also.  The only difference is Flowers came along to save his job.  Hopefully we don't make the same mistake.

The FSU media blew anything up like that it was the end of the world which exacerbated the unrealistic expectations the fans/boosters had about the roster and where they were as a program when he came in. The fans already thought they were a coach away then when they got fed a steady stream of "controversy" and negativity it caused the revolt. 

Edited by Bull Dozer

41 minutes ago, Bull Dozer said:

The FSU media blew anything up like that it was the end of the world which exacerbated the unrealistic expectations the fans/boosters had about the roster and where they were as a program when he came in. The fans already thought they were a coach away then when they got fed a steady stream of "controversy" and negativity it caused the revolt. 

I think Taggart's optimism set expectations for a quick turn around. Part of his undoing.

They were really in need of a rebuild. I think we had the same issue here.

It's just his personality and in the long run you are better off but in the short run it seems like he is failing to live up to expectations. He's not one to come in and list all the obstacles  and excuses. Many coaches will come in and say what a terrible situation they are in just to lower expectations.

• Topic Count:  108
  • Content Count:  2,484
  • Days Won:  1

I just looked at the Tennessee 2017 Offensive Staff:

OC/TE: Larry Scott

QB Coach: Mike Canales

WR Coach: Kevin Beard (Miami guy)

OL Coach: Walt Wells

Guest Jonesy Bull
1 hour ago, Bull94 said:

I think Taggart's optimism set expectations for a quick turn around. Part of his undoing.

They were really in need of a rebuild. I think we had the same issue here.

It's just his personality and in the long run you are better off but in the short run it seems like he is failing to live up to expectations. He's not one to come in and list all the obstacles  and excuses. Many coaches will come in and say what a terrible situation they are in just to lower expectations.

Well like it or not, we are pretty much in the same situation now, rebuild mode.  No matter who is brought in - Taggart or someone else, we are going to have to have patience (which is in short supply not just here but everywhere).  Its probably going to take a couple of years to get things rolling. 

I'm not totally against Taggart coming back.  I know he is a very good recruiter.  I just hope that he has improved overall as a Coach since he left here.  He has shown flexibility and the ability to learn on the job when he transformed our Offense to the Gulf Coast, so there is that!

1 hour ago, Jonesy Bull said:

Well like it or not, we are pretty much in the same situation now, rebuild mode.  No matter who is brought in - Taggart or someone else, we are going to have to have patience (which is in short supply not just here but everywhere).  Its probably going to take a couple of years to get things rolling. 

I'm not totally against Taggart coming back.  I know he is a very good recruiter.  I just hope that he has improved overall as a Coach since he left here.  He has shown flexibility and the ability to learn on the job when he transformed our Offense to the Gulf Coast, so there is that!

no doubt we are in rebuild mode. as long as we trend in the right direction I'm ok with being patient.