• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Josh Newberg's Take on Coaching Search

Guest Jonesy Bull
1 minute ago, WWMJD said:

Absent a Leavitt reconciliation (which seems unlikely), literally none of the other candidates are guaranteed to stay, so I don't get why this is even a consideration.

True....like it or not we are a stepping stone conference!

Taggart could stay a little longer though because of his failure at FSU will scare people off.  Plus he kind of screwed over Oregon.

Guest Jonesy Bull
2 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

how did he fail miserably at FSU? they didn't even give him a full 2 years.

He would have gone 6-6 in his 2nd year and 3 of those losses were by less than a score to ranked teams where they led in the 4th quarter. 2 more were to top 10 teams.

Is this a real question?  Ask FSU fans whether or not he failed miserably.

However, I do think if they had been a little more patient, then he would have had them on the right path eventually.  But this is a win now society - we all know that.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,505
  • Days Won:  422

7 minutes ago, WWMJD said:

Absent a Leavitt reconciliation (which seems unlikely), literally none of the other candidates are guaranteed to stay, so I don't get why this is even a consideration

SOS would probably stay ........ until he died.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

3 minutes ago, Jonesy Bull said:

However, I do think if they had been a little more patient, then he would have had them on the right path eventually.  But this is a win now society - we all know that.

FSU fans wanted to fire him the day they hired him.

he did not fail miserably. they made a bowl and like I said they lost 3 games to ranked teams by less than 1 score. they led in all those games in the 4th quarter.

• Upvote 1

Guest Jonesy Bull
5 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

FSU fans wanted to fire him the day they hired him.

he did not fail miserably. they made a bowl and like I said they lost 3 games to ranked teams by less than 1 score. they led in all those games in the 4th quarter.

That would be good for our standards, but not good enough by FSU standards.

I do agree though that I think they pulled the trigger too quickly.  They knew he didn't win here until Year 3, and with the huge payout he should have gotten another year.  But there is no patience anymore with these P5 schools with a strong football history.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  993
  • Days Won:  0

57 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

Boise was a meltdown.  Not sure why that would make anyone sympathetic to the coaching job done there.

They also had 2 wins over bad teams by 1 score.   If you want to count close games, you should consider them both ways.

Wake, I guess was ranked at the time.  About as meaningful as us being ranked last season.

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

2 hours ago, Jonesy Bull said:

FSU fans honestly thought they were a coach away from reliving the Jameis run. That job was always going to to take at least 2 seasons of rebuilding just due to what Jimbo did on the way out the door the last couple years. Not to mention the cultural rot in the locker room. If they don't bring in a name coach like Bob Stoops or Franklin the fan base won't be happy and at the first sign of adversity they will break out the pitchforks again and the FSU media will be ready to to throw gas in on the fire like they did with Taggart to get their precious clicks. It's honesty a pretty toxic job up there now... 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  144

Let's not forget that Taggart was a game away from being fired when Flowers and Mack came along to save his job.  These are once-in-a-decade players.  His record without players like this speaks for itself, mainly because he's not a good team manager or Xs and Os guy.  Not to mention, he was running an offense that was successful in its early days, but has been seen all over the country now.

If you can promise me a Flowers and Mack again next year, then I'd consider bringing him back.  Otherwise why would we go with a retread who has obvious deficiencies?

Edited by USFStPete
  • Like 1

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  144

3 hours ago, Bull Dozer said:

FSU fans honestly thought they were a coach away from reliving the Jameis run. That job was always going to to take at least 2 seasons of rebuilding just due to what Jimbo did on the way out the door the last couple years. Not to mention the cultural rot in the locker room. If they don't bring in a name coach like Bob Stoops or Franklin the fan base won't be happy and at the first sign of adversity they will break out the pitchforks again and the FSU media will be ready to to throw gas in on the fire like they did with Taggart to get their precious clicks. It's honesty a pretty toxic job up there now... 

You don't pay someone $20M to get lost after 2 years just to appease the media.  I honestly think they realized very early on the mistake they made and how poor of a gameday coach he is, which he was with us also.  The only difference is Flowers came along to save his job.  Hopefully we don't make the same mistake.

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,680
  • Days Won:  8

38 minutes ago, USFStPete said:

Let's not forget that Taggart was a game away from being fired when Flowers and Mack came along to save his job.  These are once-in-a-decade players.  His record without players like this speaks for itself, mainly because he's not a good team manager or Xs and Os guy.  Not to mention, he was running an offense that was successful in its early days, but has been seen all over the country now.

If you can promise me a Flowers and Mack again next year, then I'd consider bringing him back.  Otherwise why would we go with a retread who has obvious deficiencies?

EVERY WINNING TEAM HAS “ONCE IN A DECADE” PLAYERS.