• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Josh Newberg's Take on Coaching Search

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Why do I have to keep writing this. 

We need to find the 2019 version of 2013 Taggart

Or the 2019 version of 1997 Leavitt. 

Also, people on this board need to stop acting like they weren't euphoric when we scored 30 or more for 31 straight games. The man that created that offense with his hard work on the recruiting trails and the hard work in film rooms with experts (Baylor camp, getting tidbit from his former coach, etc) is Willie Taggart.  

Again,  I'm not saying hire him, but to type like he was a **** coach for us is lying to yourself.  

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  2,327
  • Content Count:  21,277
  • Days Won:  10

2 minutes ago, DELdaBull said:

Why do I have to keep writing this. 

We need to find the 2019 version of 2013 Taggart

Or the 2019 version of 1997 Leavitt. 

Also, people on this board need to stop acting like they weren't euphoric when we scored 30 or more for 31 straight games. The man that created that offense with his hard work on the recruiting trails and the hard work in film rooms with experts (Baylor camp, getting tidbit from his former coach, etc) is Willie Taggart.  

Again,  I'm not saying hire him, but to type like he was a **** coach for us is lying to yourself.  

Is that a purple Unicorn we are looking for?

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

4 minutes ago, Orlando Bull said:

But imagine if USF fired CWT after his 2-10 season. You'd be saying... 'yeah, let's hire a guy who's 1 year as a head coach he went 2-10'

Not saying I'm all in on Scott, but, that's not the only thing you can look at. Also, Scott wouldn't be coming in as OC, I suspect he would hire someone for that. He ran pro-style there, but, was part of spread offenses here... People adapt.

Edit: forgot tags was HC at WKU, same argument applies because his record there in year 1 was bad also. 

a guy who ran an offense for 1 year. That's his experience. take the fact that he played here and started his coaching career here out of it and it would be laughable if we were even considering him.

14 minutes ago, OncomingStorm said:

Let’s say you are an employer, and an employee leaves you for a competitor and bad mouths your company on the way out. He then leaves that job after a year for another gig, which he gets fired from. Then he wants to come back to you.

Do you forgive that employee for bailing the first time and insulting you in the process?

can you please point out where he bad mouthed us? I get the jilted lovers want to believe that because it supports their position but I'd like to see actual proof.

If I owned a company and my CEO rebuilt my company into one that was at the top of my industry and then left for a bigger company only to want to come back after my company fell on hard times then I would have no problem at all hiring him back.

winning is all that matters. he has proven he can win here. even if he hurt your feelings.....

Edited by Bull94

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

No offense to Larry Scott, he needs to be a successful OC or special teams coach first before becoming our HC. Shoot, I'll even take him as OUR OC. 

Just now, DELdaBull said:

No offense to Larry Scott, he needs to be a successful OC or special teams coach first before becoming our HC. Shoot, I'll even take him as OUR OC. 

no kidding.

give me Calvin Magee as our OC first though. Has a USF degree. Coached here.

Has been an OC at 5 different places. Ran 3 top 10 offenses under Rich Rod.

Imagine a hybrid between WVU offense with Pat White and Willie's Gulf Coast Offense.

• Topic Count:  179
  • Content Count:  3,647
  • Days Won:  4

To be fair, names like Larry Scott or Willie Taggart don't really matter so much as who they have on staff. Both would appear to be figurehead coaches much in the mold of CCS and CSH. 

CWT had some success as a HC and has had some failures. It seems most of CWT success comes from his recruiting. He isn't much of a game day coach. 

CWT's defense looked great under Tom Allen in 2015. They then promoted Raymond Woodie in 2016 and it looked like garbage. 

We haven't seen a lot from Larry Scott as a HC except for his time at UM. I would think he also would be leaning heavily on his staff. 

I am hoping that the next HC is more than just a figure head but is smarter than most of us and has some energy. Someone young who maybe can relate to the kids a little more. 

To be fair, whomever MK chooses is whom he chooses. He will have to own the results. 

image.jpeg.a6cfb0a843a0b95a86cdeb401f1c139e.jpeg

12 minutes ago, usf97 said:

To be fair, names like Larry Scott or Willie Taggart don't really matter so much as who they have on staff. Both would appear to be figurehead coaches much in the mold of CCS and CSH. 

CWT had some success as a HC and has had some failures. It seems most of CWT success comes from his recruiting. He isn't much of a game day coach. 

CWT's defense looked great under Tom Allen in 2015. They then promoted Raymond Woodie in 2016 and it looked like garbage. 

We haven't seen a lot from Larry Scott as a HC except for his time at UM. I would think he also would be leaning heavily on his staff. 

I am hoping that the next HC is more than just a figure head but is smarter than most of us and has some energy. Someone young who maybe can relate to the kids a little more. 

To be fair, whomever MK chooses is whom he chooses. He will have to own the results. 

image.jpeg.a6cfb0a843a0b95a86cdeb401f1c139e.jpeg

CWT called the offensive plays here. he was not a figurehead. And it takes more than recruiting to build and run a top 5 offense.

we aren't the type of program that can afford to hire a coach that just delegates to high paid assistants. we need a hands on coach who actually does something.

Edited by Bull94

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

6 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

a guy who ran an offense for 1 year. That's his experience. take the fact that he played here and started his coaching career here out of it and it would be laughable if we were even considering him.

I'm not saying to hire him... but, out of everyone that Miami could have made interim when Golden was let go, they went with Scott and the team rallied around him. I don't know what all goes into that, but, for some reason that is where they went.

And... For reference... Dabo Swinney was never a coordinator... he was a WR coach before being interim and then HC at Clemson. I am sure there are other examples, but, it is possible to be a successful head coach without being a successful coordinator first... again though, I am not pining for Scott, just don't think he's as far off as some people think.

10 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

CWT called the offensive plays here. he was not a figurehead. And it takes more than recruiting to build and run a top 5 offense.

we aren't the type of program that can afford to hire a coach that just delegates to high paid assistants. we need a hands on coach who actually does something.

1000% agree with the second part here.

I don't think CWT is the greatest game-day coach, probably not bad though. He did call the plays here, but, Q made a lot happen on his own. When you can just call QB run on 3rd and 7 and the special talent you have at QB converts 75% of them, I can't credit the play calling completely. He put guys in position to succeed and could have just as easily called bad plays on those 3rd downs that didn't convert. He knew Q could pick them up most of the time, so, he went with it. But, Q was a generational talent. That's my only hesitation about CWT, can he do it in the absence of a phenom at QB (or, at least consistently recruit that type of guy, which would be even more impressive).

To me, CWT proves that this conference can be won by out-talenting people. He recruited well and we had the most talent on the field at all times, leading to a great record and scoring like crazy. BUT, his time since here and in games against equally talented teams (FSU), he left a lot to be desired from a coaching perspective. I wouldn't want to rely on him to game plan to beat Nick Saban, but, that's not our position in the college football landscape, so, let's do the talent thing for a while by hiring a great recruiter/adequate coach. CWT or someone else.

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

1 hour ago, CousinRicky said:

I've fallen behind a bit and catching up saw this post.  Did anyone else see that Rutgers, in their agreement with Schiano, says they'll build the facilities when he raises 50% of the funds?  No link since I saw it scrolling on ESPN yesterday.  Chuckles wanted the facilities but didn't want to put in the work of raising the money.  Texas spoiled him.

Didn't see that, but Taggart is sitting on $18 million. If part of a deal with Taggart has him drop a nice chunk of cash on the IPF so we can break ground, and have a reasonably priced contract that is favorable to USF but also incentive laden, then I am okay with that. It would solve the biggest problem with USF Football really quick.