• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Josh Newberg's Take on Coaching Search

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

3 minutes ago, Orlando Bull said:

I'm not saying to hire him... but, out of everyone that Miami could have made interim when Golden was let go, they went with Scott and the team rallied around him. I don't know what all goes into that, but, for some reason that is where they went.

And... For reference... Dabo Swinney was never a coordinator... he was a WR coach before being interim and then HC at Clemson. I am sure there are other examples, but, it is possible to be a successful head coach without being a successful coordinator first... again though, I am not pining for Scott, just don't think he's as far off as some people think.

1000% agree with the second part here.

I don't think CWT is the greatest game-day coach, probably not bad though. He did call the plays here, but, Q made a lot happen on his own. When you can just call QB run on 3rd and 7 and the special talent you have at QB converts 75% of them, I can't credit the play calling completely. He put guys in position to succeed and could have just as easily called bad plays on those 3rd downs that didn't convert. He knew Q could pick them up most of the time, so, he went with it. But, Q was a generational talent. That's my only hesitation about CWT, can he do it in the absence of a phenom at QB (or, at least consistently recruit that type of guy, which would be even more impressive).

To me, CWT proves that this conference can be won by out-talenting people. He recruited well and we had the most talent on the field at all times, leading to a great record and scoring like crazy. BUT, his time since here and in games against equally talented teams (FSU), he left a lot to be desired from a coaching perspective. I wouldn't want to rely on him to game plan to beat Nick Saban, but, that's not our position in the college football landscape, so, let's do the talent thing for a while by hiring a great recruiter/adequate coach. CWT or someone else.

Scott was interim because he was on staff. clearly they didn't think his 4-2 was impressive enough for the top job. Nobody else has come calling either.

Sorry but you don't have a top 5 offense by telling the QB to run around and make plays.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  1,204
  • Days Won:  0

15 hours ago, hm101 said:

If a big-name school comes calling, and Taggart is in the seat, I think he will know the downsides of that versus some other guy, who may jump. I agree Taggart may not be a lifer, but if we can structure a deal that makes sense, I believe he will stay with us a long time and have some real passion for USF and the community.

I think this is true.  Taggart jumped at the first chance.  He knows the pressure of those big programs now.  I don't tend to think the FSU issues like all on Taggart.  Jimbo Fisher left that well dry and knew it was time to leave Dodge.  After several successful seasons, things turned.  Taggart was left with a full rebuild - much like he had when he came to USF.

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

1 hour ago, Orlando Bull said:

I'm not saying to hire him... but, out of everyone that Miami could have made interim when Golden was let go, they went with Scott and the team rallied around him. I don't know what all goes into that, but, for some reason that is where they went.

And... For reference... Dabo Swinney was never a coordinator... he was a WR coach before being interim and then HC at Clemson. I am sure there are other examples, but, it is possible to be a successful head coach without being a successful coordinator first... again though, I am not pining for Scott, just don't think he's as far off as some people think.

1000% agree with the second part here.

I don't think CWT is the greatest game-day coach, probably not bad though. He did call the plays here, but, Q made a lot happen on his own. When you can just call QB run on 3rd and 7 and the special talent you have at QB converts 75% of them, I can't credit the play calling completely. He put guys in position to succeed and could have just as easily called bad plays on those 3rd downs that didn't convert. He knew Q could pick them up most of the time, so, he went with it. But, Q was a generational talent. That's my only hesitation about CWT, can he do it in the absence of a phenom at QB (or, at least consistently recruit that type of guy, which would be even more impressive).

To me, CWT proves that this conference can be won by out-talenting people. He recruited well and we had the most talent on the field at all times, leading to a great record and scoring like crazy. BUT, his time since here and in games against equally talented teams (FSU), he left a lot to be desired from a coaching perspective. I wouldn't want to rely on him to game plan to beat Nick Saban, but, that's not our position in the college football landscape, so, let's do the talent thing for a while by hiring a great recruiter/adequate coach. CWT or someone else.

I'd agree with the strategy and game planning aspect. I would want to see a high-end D-coordinator come in and a salty assistant head coach; someone who is not looking to take over but be a mentor to him... Honestly, I'd love to steal Randy Shannon from UCiF.... Get Uncle Luke back on board in SFLA.... I may be getting a moto-***** right now thinking about that....

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

2 hours ago, Fold FB Invest in BB said:

Didn't see that, but Taggart is sitting on $18 million. If part of a deal with Taggart has him drop a nice chunk of cash on the IPF so we can break ground, and have a reasonably priced contract that is favorable to USF but also incentive laden, then I am okay with that. It would solve the biggest problem with USF Football really quick.

In my opinion, Tagg's ego won't let him do that

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  1,485
  • Days Won:  0

Just now, BrassBulls12 said:

Is the betting shop open? I got 2,000 points on Tags. 

I would have been right there with you until someone posted that tweet about Leavitt.  Probably not true, just adds fuel to the fire....

Just now, bullstampede9922 said:

I would have been right there with you until someone posted that tweet about Leavitt.  Probably not true, just adds fuel to the fire....

Leavitt will never come back here. ever.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Simply amazes me how folks don't want to look for something new and fresh vs. people who have been here and left with questionable issues. 

9 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

In my opinion, Tagg's ego won't let him do that

neither would his accountant. it would be stupid.

he could however work for peanuts at the expense of FSU as they will pay him the difference between new job and what they owe him.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

1 minute ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Simply amazes me how folks don't want to look for something new and fresh vs. people who have been here and left with questionable issues. 

Find the 2019 version of 2013 Taggart or 1997 Leavitt.  Easy peasy for the amount VPoA is getting paid