• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Potential Coaches from Tampa Times

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,688
  • Days Won:  8

7 minutes ago, Gatorbull325 said:

He had 5 years in a BCS (power 5) conference. 5 years!!!!We just fired CCS in 3 years and hell Taggart didn't even make it to to 2 years at FSU. I remember a lot of losing in November and underachieving back then as well. So basically, CJL needed 6-8 years to win 10 games at USF?

Recruiting was trending up. Those teams lacked depth. We lost to Rutgers in 2007 after a starting offensive lineman was injured. Grothe was sacked 9 times.

Leavitt won more games against tougher opponents than the other USF coaches combined. Count up those ranked teams he beat and you’ll see it’s more ranked wins than we’ve had since. 

As DC at Colorado Leavitt’s defense was the best in the PAC-12. 

He had us bowling every year. He sure as hell wouldn’t have done any worse than Holtz, Taggart (year 1 and 2) or Strong. 

Edited by Gismo

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  1,166
  • Days Won:  3

Thinking outside the box....Bringing in LSU's OC Steve Ensminger as head coach and Joe Brady as OC/head coach in waiting. I'm sure LSU would do their best to make that not happen though. I would love to see Joe Brady here as he is the biggest reason that LSU is out of the offensive doldrums. 

https://www.si.com/college/2019/09/17/lsu-spread-offense-joe-burrow-ed-orgeron

• Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

10 minutes ago, TExpress said:

Thinking outside the box....Bringing in LSU's OC Steve Ensminger as head coach and Joe Brady as OC/head coach in waiting. I'm sure LSU would do their best to make that not happen though. I would love to see Joe Brady here as he is the biggest reason that LSU is out of the offensive doldrums. 

https://www.si.com/college/2019/09/17/lsu-spread-offense-joe-burrow-ed-orgeron

They won't let both of them go. When one goes the other gets raise to stay. Besides, Coach O said he was prepared to convince Brady to stay unless he gets an offer he cant turn down. 

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  1,166
  • Days Won:  3

2 minutes ago, BrassBulls12 said:

They won't let both of them go. When one goes the other gets raise to stay. Besides, Coach O said he was prepared to convince Brady to stay unless he gets an offer he cant turn down. 

I'd rather see Brady here than Ensminger but apparently LSU is not going to let him go without a fight.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/28212658/lsu-step-ahead-plan-keep-assistant-joe-brady

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  166
  • Days Won:  0

Jacksonville University Just dropped the entire football program that’s the Kerwin Bell effect after 4 years of him being gone. When he was there they were beating teams like old dominion and Delaware in fcs! Before Kb got there they had 0 winning seasons. He won conference championship in year 2 and won 2 more in his time there. Left the program after going 9 and 2 , 9 and 2 his last 2 years. Now the program is gone since he’s gone. Dude knows how to build a program! https://judolphins.com/news/2019/12/3/jacksonville-university-discontinues-football.aspx

• ???? 1

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,272
  • Days Won:  255

1 minute ago, Bullgrad84 said:

Jacksonville University Just dropped the entire football program that’s the Kerwin Bell effect after 4 years of him being gone. When he was there they were beating teams like old dominion and Delaware in fcs! Before Kb got there they had 0 winning seasons. He won conference championship in year 2 and won 2 more in his time there. Left the program after going 9 and 2 , 9 and 2 his last 2 years. Now the program is gone since he’s gone. Dude knows how to build a program! https://judolphins.com/news/2019/12/3/jacksonville-university-discontinues-football.aspx

Interesting because four years of his offense would have probably led to us dropping our program too

• Haha 2

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,127
  • Days Won:  6

26 minutes ago, Gismo said:

Recruiting was trending up. Those teams lacked depth. We lost to Rutgers in 2007 after a starting offensive lineman was injured. Grothe was sacked 9 times.

Leavitt won more games against tougher opponents than the other USF coaches combined. Count up those ranked teams he beat and you’ll see it’s more ranked wins than we’ve had since. 

As DC at Colorado Leavitt’s defense was the best in the PAC-12. 

He had us bowling every year. He sure as hell wouldn’t have done any worse than Holtz, Taggart (year 1 and 2) or Strong. 

I was discussing CJL with my 12 yo at the game this year.  I said imagine having a chance to win against ANY opponent no matter who it was.  He was like "whoa!!!".

Followed up by, imagine the same team could lose to any opponent (like UCONN this year).

"That's what it was like when CJL was coach"

It was exciting though.  The sole has been sucked out of me the past 10 years since.  I miss the way that felt.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,475
  • Days Won:  25

1 minute ago, puc86 said:

Interesting because four years of his offense would have probably led to us dropping our program too

Or won our first conference championship... We may never know.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

29 minutes ago, Gatorbull325 said:

He had 5 years in a BCS (power 5) conference. 5 years!!!!We just fired CCS in 3 years and hell Taggart didn't even make it to to 2 years at FSU. I remember a lot of losing in November and underachieving back then as well. So basically, CJL needed 6-8 years to win 10 games at USF?

I think your... IN A BCS/P5 conference is the key here... UCF has been great the last few years right? How many conference championships would they have won in the ACC? I'm going to say zero with how Clemson has played... and that is the weakest of the P5 conferences... you're comparing apples to oranges... not to mention that Leavitt was playing with lower tier talent and didn't start pulling in good recruiting classes until his last couple of years... you know, as the program was getting established in a BCS conference and better players were seeing the upward trajectory of the program under Leavitt.

By the way, every one of those years except 2008, the Big East champ was ranked in the top 10 when all was said and done... How DARE Leavitt not produce a top-10 team after a whole 13 years of football. Honestly, if you can't start a IAA program, jump to a P5 conference, and win a national championship within 5 years, maybe 7 tops, you just aren't good enough for USF!

In all seriousness, if we never jumped to the BE, Leavitt likely would have won multiple C-USA titles. Would that make him a better coach than the guy without any conference championships? I don't think so, but, hey, he would have championships... so, if a P5 conference comes calling before we ever win the AAC... we should really think long and hard about accepting an invite, you know, since conference championships are more important than anything around here.

Given 3 years, a CJL team at USF would dominate this crappy conference.

• Upvote 4

• Topic Count:  128
  • Content Count:  1,768
  • Days Won:  1

11 hours ago, Triple B said:

We've been constantly told here lately that the program is on life support. If the roster is 2 seasons away, what better way to keep from unplugging that plug than with the OBC. Have a coach-in-waiting come on board with him ....... I think I'm talking myself into loving this idea.

Its actually not a bad idea.  Spurrier and Kelly together would be huge for fundraising (ensure that the IPF gets built (groundbreaking) next year).  If you bring Larry Scott in as OC / Head Coach in waiting and somehow keep Shaun King on board you'd have a seriously strong recruiting staff as well.