• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Potential Coaches from Tampa Times

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

3 minutes ago, bullstampede9922 said:

But that 64-12 win over UCF.....

Yes that was sweet but I can match that with a 24 to 20 loss to a terrible 5-7 Kraigthorp Louisville team.  

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,688
  • Days Won:  8

2 hours ago, Gatorbull325 said:

CJL is a good Defensive Coordinator and an average head coach. As a coach...kind of like CCS.  😎   He had 5 years in a  BCS conference and never won more than 9 games. Pretty much averaged 8 wins a season. So you think it's ok to give a coach 6-8 years to win 10 games? GTFOH man! We barely give a coach 3 years over here b4 we want somebody fired. The double standard with CJL compared to other coaches is hilarious. But go ahead and give this man more false praise. 

I was happy with the 8 wins per season and being ranked and talked about every year. The program was less than 20 years old! I though Leavitt was getting close enough to keep him around. Recruiting was picking up.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,571
  • Days Won:  28

1 minute ago, Gismo said:

I was happy with the 8 wins per season and being ranked and talked about every year. The program was less than 20 years old! I though Leavitt was getting close enough to keep him around. Recruiting was picking up.

8 wins a season was "cute" when the team was less than 20 years old. But i rwmember a lot of heart break at the end of every season. And 8 wins isnt going to give us UCF type of success. 

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  3,749
  • Days Won:  3

5 minutes ago, Gatorbull325 said:

Screenshot_20191203-123803.png

Jim Levitt was an average coach and still a good defensive coordinator. But he was regressing towards the end  

Regressing towards the end? 2009 saw his starting QB tear his ACL in week 3 and we still managed 8 wins in a conference that had 6 teams with 8+ wins and 3 top 25 teams that year. 

Out of all 5 of those seasons you list only 2008 was a down season. We had a veteran team with a junior 3 year starting QB. 

2007 ended poorly due to injuries and we got rocked in the bowl game by Oregon who would've likely been in the National Title game if not for Dixon tearing his ACL.

Leavitt did more with little than anyone could've ever imagined. Do I want him back, not really. I want youth but we can a helluva lot worse than Leavitt. He would still be a quality hire. I'm done going back and forth with you. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,087
  • Days Won:  469

22 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

I think of all of that but I also think of this: Rutgers and Uconn...😭

complaining gilda radner GIF by Saturday Night Live

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,994
  • Days Won:  4

In the end, we'll never know what the 2010-2019 seasons would have looked like if Leavitt had remained coach. We could've tanked and moved on from him, or he might have gotten us to a BCS bowl and/or 10/11/12 win seasons. 8 or 9 wins likely would've gotten old by 2013-2014 if we entered the AAC and still couldn't win a championship, much less a division.

Do I think Leavitt's team beats Notre Dame still? Yes. Do I think they beat Florida? No. Do I think they eek out a win over Miami somewhere and get Randy Shannon fired still? Yes. Do i think they win another game against FSU? Yes. I don't think we'd have ever lost, much less been blown out, to McNeese State, or ever have gone 2-10.

I honestly think Leavitt would've kept the team from tanking in 2011-2013 like Holtz did. But I could see 5-7 seasons and rebuilding as well. If he never gets fired, we'd know.

No offense, @Gatorbull325 , but it sounds like you probably weren't around to have any type of first person experience or knowledge of the beginning of the program.  You seem to be just hung up on stats without any context.  Going to be hard for you to get beyond wikipedia and assumptions.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Orlando Bull said:

Do you know why there was heartbreak? Because there was hope, expectations, and something real to play for. 

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,475
  • Days Won:  25

22 minutes ago, Gatorbull325 said:

Screenshot_20191203-123803.png

Jim Levitt was an average coach and still a good defensive coordinator. But he was regressing towards the end  

9 minutes ago, deters- said:

Regressing towards the end? 2009 saw his starting QB tear his ACL in week 3 and we still managed 8 wins in a conference that had 6 teams with 8+ wins and 3 top 25 teams that year. 

Out of all 5 of those seasons you list only 2008 was a down season. We had a veteran team with a junior 3 year starting QB. 

2007 ended poorly due to injuries and we got rocked in the bowl game by Oregon who would've likely been in the National Title game if not for Dixon tearing his ACL.

Leavitt did more with little than anyone could've ever imagined. Do I want him back, not really. I want youth but we can a helluva lot worse than Leavitt. He would still be a quality hire. I'm done going back and forth with you. 

Image result for arguing with a fence post