• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Larry Scott HC?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Just now, OncomingStorm said:

I never said to only look at Larry Scott, whereas you indicate we shouldn’t look at him because no one else is doing so.

:facepalm:   Can't have a conversation with you if you don't read.  

38 minutes ago, GaUSFBull said:

I honestly don't care if your name is Muhammad "I'm Hard" Bruce Lee.  All that stuff is just filler and has no bearing on the discussion.  2 coaches we've had experienced success before coming to USF.  One didn't and there were probably some behind the scenes stuff that went on that prevented that from happening, because he's done very well after leaving here.  It's beyond the pale ridiculous and borderline irresponsible to say that past performance has zero bearing on future success.  

I don't really have a point against a former player other than I just don't know if he's the best fit for USF.  How many other jobs is he in contention for?  That also matters.  If no one else is sniffing around him, why should we?  

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  159
  • Days Won:  0

3 minutes ago, GaUSFBull said:

:facepalm:   Can't have a conversation with you if you don't read.  

I can read this:

How many other jobs is he in contention for?  That also matters.  If no one else is sniffing around him, why should we?”

3 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

So I just tried to send you a message and got a message saying  you can't receive messages.  Clean out your mailbox!!!

Done!  :D

1 minute ago, OncomingStorm said:

I can read this:

How many other jobs is he in contention for?  That also matters.  If no one else is sniffing around him, why should we?”

Which isn't the same as this, at least on Planet Earth:    

9 minutes ago, OncomingStorm said:

I never said to only look at Larry Scott, whereas you indicate we shouldn’t look at him because no one else is doing so.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,680
  • Days Won:  108

2 minutes ago, GaUSFBull said:

Done!  :D

And sent.  If only MK would have fired CS that quickly.  :bang:

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

7 minutes ago, WWMJD said:

This is exactly the point. Sure, past performance is not a perfect predictor. But we don't have a crystal ball, so it will have to do...

Yup. If anyone doesn't believe past performance is the single biggest factor, here's a quick test.

You're told you need heart surgery or you will surely die. Which guy do you have cut you open?

Candidate 1

Has completed over 1000 successful procedures just like this, but obviously not exactly like this, since all people are different.

Candidate 2

Has never actually performed a surgery on his own, but has watched them being done and explained how he would do the operation. He has performed a few knee operations, though. 

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

10 minutes ago, GaUSFBull said:

We need a board heart-to-heart on this topic.  Maybe you can create a thread and it can be pinned to the top, and required reading one time next time people log in. 

A great example of the former player coming home after getting some coaching seasoning is one Willie Taggart.  

He PLAYED at Western Kentucky,  went on to be position coach at different places including Western Kentucky and STILL left for a greater challenge elsewhere.  Just because a former player is OUR former player doesn't mean he will be OUR head coach for life.  

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  5,342
  • Days Won:  10

Just now, JTrue said:

I don't disagree with any of this, but tell me what factor you'd place above past performance in making your next hire.

Jim, it's a whole lot more complex than that.  I wouldn't have just one factor. The most scientific, structured hiring processes we have predict about 30% of performance. I would have to know a whole lot more about the job than I currently do to answer your question.  The problem is not that there isn't sources of information but not all hiring authorities take the time and effort to do their due diligence.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

1 minute ago, DELdaBull said:

A great example of the former player coming home after getting some coaching seasoning is one Willie Taggart.  

He PLAYED at Western Kentucky,  went on to be position coach at different places including Western Kentucky and STILL left for a greater challenge elsewhere.  Just because a former player is OUR former player doesn't mean he will be OUR head coach for life.  

That's not true because Jim Leavitt.

• Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

1 minute ago, DELdaBull said:

I have no real opinion on whether Scott is the right guy for the job yet, but his relationship with USF and the area goes much deeper than your post lets on, and much deeper than Willie's was at WKU and the area.