• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Larry Scott HC?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  159
  • Days Won:  0

4 minutes ago, GaUSFBull said:

Wrong about QF.  Taggart wanted him.  That's someone.

That’s exactly my point. We wanted a talent that no one else wanted.

This defeats the argument that if no one else is sniffing around, why should we?

The best coaches find hidden gems. That’s equally possible when it comes to finding coaches.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

1 minute ago, OncomingStorm said:

That’s exactly my point. We wanted a talent that no one else wanted.

This defeats the argument that if no one else is sniffing around, why should we?

It doesn't defeat the argument, it's an exception to it.  I've been to plenty of job interviews where I'm asked if I'm being considered for similar positions to what I'm interviewing for, and which companies.  People want to know if they are hiring someone who's in demand and considered a top selection.  That's almost universal, and it's why you see so many retreads that had a little bit of success somewhere but maybe had a bad experience or two get hired.  

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  280
  • Days Won:  1

And to update everyone's stats on Larry Scott

He currently a Tight End coach at UF... and they are currently ranked 7th in the nation. And the Gators are EASILY the best team in Florida by a lap. 

We need help on Offense. Larry Scott was Offensive Lineman at USF when he played here.

https://floridagators.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/larry-scott/1026

Players love him, he recruits amazingly well... but we don't want him at USF? Well they sure are loving him at University of Florida with their amazing seasons they've had since picking him up in January of 2018

BTW... he was part of our coaching staff during our "#2 Ranking" years. 

To not even give this man a marginal shot at the job just blows my mind. 

How's UF doing this year? How did they do last year? UF went 10-3 last year, so far 10-2 this year.

He is part of that program! Please read this- 

• Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

1 minute ago, MikePhillips said:

He currently a Tight End coach at UF... and they are currently ranked 7th in the nation. And the Gators are EASILY the best team in Florida by a lap. 

We need help on Offense. Larry Scott was Offensive Lineman at USF when he played here.

Players love him, he recruits amazingly well... but we don't want him at USF? Well they sure are loving him at University of Florida with their amazing seasons they've had since picking him up in January of 2018

How's UF doing this year? How did they do last year? UF went 10-3 last year, so far 10-2 this year.

LOL yeah let's give UFs credit for success to their TE coach....

if you really want a USF guy at least  pick Calvin Magee.

Edited by Bull94
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, GaUSFBull said:

I honestly don't care if your name is Muhammad "I'm Hard" Bruce Lee.  All that stuff is just filler and has no bearing on the discussion.  2 coaches we've had experienced success before coming to USF.  One didn't and there were probably some behind the scenes stuff that went on that prevented that from happening, because he's done very well after leaving here.  It's beyond the pale ridiculous and borderline irresponsible to say that past performance has zero bearing on future success.  

I don't really have a point against a former player other than I just don't know if he's the best fit for USF.  How many other jobs is he in contention for?  That also matters.  If no one else is sniffing around him, why should we?  

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  159
  • Days Won:  0

4 minutes ago, GaUSFBull said:

It doesn't defeat the argument, it's an exception to it.  I've been to plenty of job interviews where I'm asked if I'm being considered for similar positions to what I'm interviewing for, and which companies.  People want to know if they are hiring someone who's in demand and considered a top selection.  That's almost universal, and it's why you see so many retreads that had a little bit of success somewhere but maybe had a bad experience or two get hired.  

Any prospective employer who makes a decision based on what other jobs a candidate is looking at, rather than independently judging the candidates credentials, is not the smartest employer.

Just because you are applying for jobs at three different companies doesn’t mean you’re a good fit for all or any of them.

I’m not saying it’s not a factor to consider, but hardly the top factor.

Edited by OncomingStorm

Just now, Bull94 said:

LOL yeah let's give UFs credit for success to their TE coach....

Well, we could have used him here at a TE coach. We had one of the best tight ends in our program history (Wilcox) and we used him as a quasi-fullback with blocking assignments, for our option reads up the middle for 0 yards.

Guest Jonesy Bull
4 minutes ago, MikePhillips said:

Yes, he definately deserves more than a little bit of consideration.  Hopefully he and the Scott from Clemson are the 2 front runners.  I really like the guy from LSU too, but he might be on the Short List for a P5 job.  Any of these 3 would make me happy.  In fact I prefer one of these guys over either Leavitt or Taggart.

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

Honestly, I could care less if the new coach has any ties to USF.  I want the best coach that is the best fit for this program.  C. Got a coordinator from Oregon and then a coordinator from Missouri that had no ties to C. Let alone the state and that worked out pretty well for them.

• Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Just now, El_Toro_86 said:

Honestly, I could care less if the new coach has any ties to USF.  I want the best coach that is the best fit for this program.  C. Got a coordinator from Oregon and then a coordinator from Missouri that had no ties to C. Let alone the state and that worked out pretty well for them.

yeah but they're not loyal...LOL

• Upvote 1