• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Larry Scott HC?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

7 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

we are not a destination job. get that wishful thought out of your head.

Yeah, unfortunately this is the thing, when people cannot accept this, any thoughts they have about USF football will most likely be irrational and off base.  

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  159
  • Days Won:  0

24 minutes ago, JTrue said:

Past performance is far and away the best indicator of future success. It’s not even a debate.

An indicator? Sure. One of several indicators at any given moment. Context matters though. We’ve seen it with Skip, who couldn’t recruit and maximize Florida talent, despite his success before and after USF.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  280
  • Days Won:  1

3 minutes ago, GaUSFBull said:

Seriously?  There is plenty of information out there for most of your questions, but why are you bringing up championships Strong won as a coordinator, and players Taggart developed as a position coach?  

Respectfully, do your own research.  The last three coaches USF hired had solid success at other programs prior to joining USF.

Respectfully I've been to most of the home games since the first one in 1997. I lived in Fontana with the original football team, had several of them as roommates. I used to hit softballs into their practice area during intramurals. 

Started at USF in 1996 when they were putting the team together. 

We can all mostly agree, that when Leavitt left, he took the soul of the program with him. What we are missing is the soul of the program. If we want our next coach to be a "destination" coach, a life'r, why not try it with a previous player? Aren't 95% of all college coaches, previous players themselves? 

My point is simple - we've had 4 coaches in 10 years.... and we are back in the dumps AGAIN looking for a new coach, AGAIN

We've given 3 outside coaches a shot, 1 bailed and 2 were awful. If they suck, we fire them, if they are good, they leave.

So why not try our luck with a former player? 

Just now, OncomingStorm said:

An indicator? Sure. One of several indicators at any given moment. Context matters though. We’ve seen it with Skip, who couldn’t recruit and maximize Florida talent, despite his success before and after USF.

I think you responded before reading more examples @JTrue cited of why past performance is THE best indicator ... not just an indicator.  And you have to look at Skip's job at La. Tech along with USF.  

I'm starting to agree there may have been more behind the scenes stuff here for Skip that prevented him from doing better here.  Time and hindsight have sort of borne that out.   

8 minutes ago, GaUSFBull said:

Yeah, unfortunately this is the thing, when people cannot accept this, any thoughts they have about USF football will most likely be irrational and off base.  

I completely agree with that.

What do we ultimately want, as a fan base?

A coach, that puts on a winning path AND sticks around

Win games and stay as our coach... right?

Say that again.... we want a coach that WINS GAMES, and also STAYS with the program

Anyone who wins here, is gone in a year... 

Who, out of everyone in the college coaching pool, is going to help the program win games AND will hopefully stick around? 

That's my point. We need someone who will win games and stick around. Taggart didn't do that, nor will anyone else. 

But MAYBE... a former player will

Edited by MikePhillips

3 minutes ago, MikePhillips said:

Respectfully I've been to most of the home games since the first one in 1997. I lived in Fontana with the original football team, had several of them as roommates. I used to hit softballs into their practice area during intramurals. 

Started at USF in 1996 when they were putting the team together. 

We can all mostly agree, that when Leavitt left, he took the soul of the program with him. What we are missing is the soul of the program. If we want our next coach to be a "destination" coach, a life'r, why not try it with a previous player? Aren't 95% of all college coaches, previous players themselves? 

My point is simple - we've had 4 coaches in 10 years.... and we are back in the dumps AGAIN looking for a new coach, AGAIN

We've given 3 outside coaches a shot, 1 bailed and 2 were awful. If they suck, we fire them, if they are good, they leave.

So why not try our luck with a former player? 

I honestly don't care if your name is Muhammad "I'm Hard" Bruce Lee.  All that stuff is just filler and has no bearing on the discussion.  2 coaches we've had experienced success before coming to USF.  One didn't and there were probably some behind the scenes stuff that went on that prevented that from happening, because he's done very well after leaving here.  It's beyond the pale ridiculous and borderline irresponsible to say that past performance has zero bearing on future success.  

I don't really have a point against a former player other than I just don't know if he's the best fit for USF.  How many other jobs is he in contention for?  That also matters.  If no one else is sniffing around him, why should we?  

6 minutes ago, MikePhillips said:

But MAYBE... a former player will

I agree. Bring on the Larry Scott era. At the very least, if someone else is HC, bring Scott as OC and groom him as the eventual successor.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, GaUSFBull said:

How many other jobs is he in contention for?  That also matters.  If no one else is sniffing around him, why should we?  

Let’s rewind 8ish years:

No one wants QF as a QB. So why should we?

Point being, under-recognized talent exists everywhere.

Edited by OncomingStorm

1 minute ago, GaUSFBull said:

I honestly don't care if your name is Muhammad "I'm Hard" Bruce Lee.  All that stuff is just filler and has no bearing on the discussion.  2 coaches we've had experienced success before coming to USF.  One didn't and there were probably some behind the scenes stuff that went on that prevented that from happening, because he's done very well after leaving here.  It's beyond the pale ridiculous and borderline irresponsible to say that past performance has zero bearing on future success.  

I don't really have a point against a former player other than I just don't know if he's the best fit for USF.  How many other jobs is he in contention for?  That also matters.  If no one else is sniffing around him, why should we?  

Logically I 100% agree with you. 100% agree with everyone

We all want Leavitt, right? Well we will never get Leavitt back, so why not someone who played for him? Who built the program and played for him? Played for us? 

4 different coaches in 10 years... And we are 0-3 Post Leavitt, with not one of them gave us a winning record and sticking around. 

We aren't a destination school, there is no soul or tradition in the program... so why not gamble on an OG player, and see if we can get some of the soul back in the program?

Think he'll do better than finishing a season going 0-6 like we did last year (first team in history to do that after going 7-0)? Think he'll loose 14 out of 18 games? 

That's my only point. You want soul back into the program? You want a little bit of Leavitt on the sidelines? Hire Larry Scott

Just now, OncomingStorm said:

Let’s rewind 8ish years:

No one wanted QF as a QB. So why should we?

Point being, under-recognized talent exists everywhere.

Wrong about QF.  Taggart wanted him.  That's someone.  Yet so many on this board want to say QF made Taggart.  

Again, I have no issue if Larry Scott is our guy, but you have to have an exhaustive search.  And you're right about under-recognized talent, but you do have to have some idea of what accomplishment or skills they have in their past.

2 minutes ago, MikePhillips said:

We all want Leavitt, right? Well we will never get Leavitt back, so why not someone who played for him? Who built the program and played for him?

That's my only point. You want soul back into the program? You want a little bit of Leavitt on the sidelines? Hire Larry Scott

Actually no ... I do not want Leavitt back.