• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Larry Scott HC?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

3 minutes ago, JTrue said:

Yup. If anyone doesn't believe past performance is the single biggest factor, here's a quick test.

You're told you need heart surgery or you will surely die. Which guy do you have cut you open?

Candidate 1

Has completed over 1000 successful procedures just like this, but obviously not exactly like this, since all people are different.

Candidate 2

Has never actually performed a surgery on his own, but has watched them being done and explained how he would do the operation. He has performed a few knee operations, though. 

This was pretty close to a scenario on the latest episode of The Resident that I watched last night, which is a fantastic medical drama and filmed right here in Atlanta.  Obviously, they went with Candidate 1.  

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  159
  • Days Won:  0

15 minutes ago, GaUSFBull said:

Which isn't the same as this, at least on Planet Earth:    

Well, we are going to have to agree to disagree on the implication of “If no one else is sniffing around him, why should we?”

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

8 minutes ago, OncomingStorm said:

Well, we are going to have to agree to disagree on the implication of “If no one else is sniffing around him, why should we?”

No we don't have to agree to disagree about anything.  You read my post incorrectly leading to a misunderstanding about my position regarding Larry Scott.  It's ok, it happens, but you should own it.

And that question that should be asked by anyone hiring someone when there are multiple, interested candidates with varying degrees of experience and ability, especially for the salary that will be discussed.  

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  280
  • Days Won:  1

This is a good article-

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/bulls/2019/12/01/who-replaces-charlie-strong-at-usf-heres-our-list-of-possible-and-impossible-candidates/

I didn't mean to piss anyone off. 

I'll bet anyone a $13 beer, that the next coach we hire, as soon as we have a winning season... is gone. We will all be left in limbo after our winning season, as he searches high and low for a better job.

Turn program around, get to a winning season... leave

the only person, who won't do that in my opinion is Larry Scott. Larry, out of EVERYONE on the short list of potential coaches, has the greatest possibility of staying.

I have no doubt, that any of the other coaches from Clemson, LSU, Lane Kiffin, etc could get us back to a winning season.

But they'll be gone the instant the program is turned around. We need someone to STAY.

Larry Scott has the best indicators, based on him being an OG for USF, will stay. 

Larry Scott was with the coaching staff of USF for 7 years. From 2005 to 2012. During our BEST YEARS!!! 

He played for us for 4 years, and coached with us for 7 years. He played for us when we didn't have a program, and was part of the staff when we peaked.

And he's KILLING IT at UF right now. Look at UF's program... you don't think he's learned a few things in the two years he's been there? 

He's got my vote.... 100% my vote

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

2 minutes ago, MikePhillips said:

This is a good article-

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/bulls/2019/12/01/who-replaces-charlie-strong-at-usf-heres-our-list-of-possible-and-impossible-candidates/

I'll bet anyone a $13 beer, that the next coach we hire, as soon as we have a winning season... is gone. We will all be left in limbo after our winning season, as he searches high and low for a better job.

the only person, who won't do that in my opinion is Larry Scott. Larry, out of EVERYONE on the short list of potential coaches, has the greatest possibility of staying.

I have no doubt, that any of the other coaches from Clemson, LSU, Lane Kiffin, etc could get us back to a winning season.

But they'll be gone the instant the program is turned around. We need someone to STAY.

Larry Scott has the best indicators, based on him being an OG for USF, will stay. 

Larry Scott was with the coaching staff of USF for 7 years. From 2005 to 2012. During our BEST YEARS!!! 

He played for us for 4 years, and coached with us for 7 years. He played for us when we didn't have a program, and was part of the staff when we peaked.

And he's KILLING IT at UF right now. Look at UF's program... you don't think he's learned a few things in the two years he's been there? 

And after 4 years when Scott goes something like 4-8, 6-6, 10-2, 11-1 then leaves for a 5-7M per year HC gig what will you say? 

• Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

1 minute ago, MikePhillips said:

This is a good article-

god I hope so. we can't afford to keep paying guys not to coach.

we are not a destination job. anybody worth hiring doesn't consider us to be a destination. just a stopover.

get this into your head.

it would be god awful if we hire the TE coach from UF just because he played here

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  5,342
  • Days Won:  10

31 minutes ago, JTrue said:

Yup. If anyone doesn't believe past performance is the single biggest factor, here's a quick test.

You're told you need heart surgery or you will surely die. Which guy do you have cut you open?

Candidate 1

Has completed over 1000 successful procedures just like this, but obviously not exactly like this, since all people are different.

Candidate 2

Has never actually performed a surgery on his own, but has watched them being done and explained how he would do the operation. He has performed a few knee operations, though. 

I would pick number one if this is the only information that I bothered to get figuring that I am such a damned good student of human behavior that I couldn't possibly miss.  This is the attitude of most hiring authorities.  But, I would not survive because I didn't bother to find out if he could work with half the instruments that he is used to, could he take the heat from administration without letting it affect his performance, does he have plans on who his surgical team is and why he is picking them?  Does he have a good strategy on how to be successful in this operation?

Now, as a patient we don't normally have access to that information but it wasn't my example.  Certainly past performance is important.  But, the "no debate" part is all I am addressing.  It is necessary but not sufficient.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

6 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

we are not a destination job. anybody worth hiring doesn't consider us to be a destination. just a stopover.

get this into your head.

it would be god awful if we hire the TE coach from UF just because he played here

I am not saying that he may not be the guy. Just don't be surprised if he eventually moves on if he comes here and WINS. 

No one on the board unfortunately is paid the beaucoup of bucks to get these hires right. 

• Content Count:  280
  • Days Won:  1

12 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

get this into your head.

Brother... I 100% get your point and understand your point

1) Any coach we get, is a temp job. Including Larry Scott.. they are gone in 3-4 years (noted)

2) Since they are going to leave in 3-4 years anyways, it's silly to give that opportunity to a previous player and coaching assistant from USF. It's better to give that money and opportunity to a candidate from any other college (LSU, Clemson, FAU, etc)... but not one that was on the USF football team (noted)

Got it... loud and clear

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

1 minute ago, MikePhillips said:

Brother... I 100% get your point and understand your point

1) Any coach we get, is a temp job. Including Larry Scott.. they are gone in 3-4 years (noted)

2) Since they are going to leave in 3-4 years anyways, it's silly to give that opportunity to a previous player and coaching assistant from USF. It's better to give that money and opportunity to a candidate from any other college (LSU, Clemson, FAU, etc)... but not one that was on the USF football team (noted)

Got it... loud and clear

Problem is while I like Scott his resume isn't exactly impressive when you take the USF ties away. If Scott is the best candidate bring him on if the not I don't want to take a guy a step down just because he's a USF guy.