• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Octavious Battle in the transfer portal.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

He looked like he had potential.  Good luck kid

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  2,332
  • Content Count:  21,301
  • Days Won:  10

19 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Either: 1. He has determined that the competition next year is too good for him.

2. He is scared of competition.

3. There are better QB recruits coming on campus.

4. He feels he is not getting a fair chance.

Thanks, but did not think we had a ton of QB's.  I will go look.

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  3,233
  • Days Won:  8

17 hours ago, Corey lea said:

Name one CCS recruit in the 3 schools that has flunked out of school? You can say anything about reasons, but I doubt  that's the reason. I didn't say everyone said it was his grades, but a few alluded to that. It might be ulterior motives for saying that, but don't start there without making some people think what the motive really is.

You're attempting to side step my point.

You are speculating yourself just as the rest are.

So heres my speculation on CCS. You have far more data on a coach then on a student athlete. You may have 8 to 20 years of data on a coach where as you'll have 4 to 6 years max data on a student athlete and thats only if they were junior high standouts. So CCS had far more data on his coaches when he hired them. Yet when he let them go, almost everyone was glad as they were the problem. Well not so fast. CCS hired them and braught most of them with him from Texas even after they failed to be succesful there. You keep standing up for CCS but, you take shots at others for suggesting something other then what you believe. This was after all about a kid and not CCS yet you braught him into it. Welp, I believe CCS is either a lousy judge of Assistant Coaches or he's out of his element and should probably go back to being a Defensive Coordinator. Lets not forget he's a defensive minded coach and yet his defense at meany times looked lost or were in the wrong sets prior to the snap of the ball. Think on that before you fire off another salvo.

I wish CCS great success here as I do all the kids but, I'm going to keep my eyes open and where there is or should be blame. I'll call it like I see it or sit and wait for the truth to surface.

Edited by Azmodi
  • Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,523
  • Days Won:  28

32 minutes ago, Azmodi said:

So heres my speculation on CCS. You have far more data on a coach then on a student athlete. You may have 8 to 20 years of data on a coach where as you'll have 4 to 6 years max data on a student athlete and thats only if they were junior high standouts. So CCS had far more data on his coaches when he hired them. Yet when he let them go, almost everyone was glad as they were the problem. Well not so fast. CCS hired them and braught most of them with him from Texas even after they failed to be succesful there. You keep standing up for CCS but, you take shots at others for suggesting something other then what you believe. This was after all about a kid and not CCS yet you braught him into it. Welp, I believe CCS is either a lousy judge of Assistant Coaches or he's out of his element and should probably go back to being a Defensive Coordinator. Lets not forget he's a defensive minded coach and yet his defense at meany times looked lost or were in the wrong sets prior to the snap of the ball. Think on that before you fire off another salvo.

I wish CCS great success here as I do all the kids but, I'm going to keep my eyes open and where there is or should be blame. I'll call it like I see it or sit and wait for the truth to surface.

His assistants in the past had success at one point in his coaching tenure. He had success at Louisville with his assistant and Gilbert actually helped his offense at Texas. Sometimes things just don't work out with assistants. At this point it's safe to say he knocked it out the park with his new additions this year. So far, CCS had 3 head coaching stints. 

He had success at Louisville where he won a Big East conference title and an AAC conference title and an BCS bowl victory. .  Yes, our coach actually won the ****.

He didn't do well at Texas. It happens. He's is from the south and recruits better from the south. Texas was a bad fit for him. 

Currently at USF he is 17-8 which is a winning record. 

His lifetime head coaching record is 70–45 (.609)

How he is "out of his element" and your claim of "wishing him success" baffles me. 

• Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

44 minutes ago, Azmodi said:

yet his defense at meany times looked lost or were in the wrong sets prior to the snap of the ball.

If you are judging this based on last season, keep in mind on how many underclassman and first-year starters we were using especially at LB. They are supposed to be your QBs of the defense. There is only so much you can yell from the sideline. 

The defense was pretty stout in '17 when he had veterans to work with. 3 of the 4 at Lousiville were top 25 and his first year at Texas was ranked 32 and dropped off after he started kicking players off.  

Edited by BrassBulls12

• Topic Count:  125
  • Content Count:  649
  • Days Won:  0

38 minutes ago, Azmodi said:

Well he brought coaches from Texas here because Texas paid the tab. At first they would not give him money to go get a good OC so he had to bring Watson with him. That failed in the B12. Then he brought Hibert with him because again, Texas paid most of his salary. Gilbert was also picked by the donors at Texas. 

So back to Battle, yes I'm defending him because USF is not a superior academic school and he did graduate with a 3.2 GPA. I do know Strong would not let him participate in spring ball if the fall grades were bad. 

Yeah Strong is way too loyal to some coaches and some players. However, to his credit, he shipped the bums out.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,680
  • Days Won:  108

18 minutes ago, Corey lea said:

Well he brought coaches from Texas here because Texas paid the tab. At first they would not give him money to go get a good OC so he had to bring Watson with him. That failed in the B12. Then he brought Hibert with him because again, Texas paid most of his salary. Gilbert was also picked by the donors at Texas. 

So back to Battle, yes I'm defending him because USF is not a superior academic school and he did graduate with a 3.2 GPA. I do know Strong would not let him participate in spring ball if the fall grades were bad. 

Yeah Strong is way too loyal to some coaches and some players. However, to his credit, he shipped the bums out.

You keep saying this.  I don't believe it to be true.  We can argue what makes a school superior academically but we did reach elite status this year (or late last year).  Our daughter's grades and test scores wouldn't get her into today's USF.  

Edit: There have been numerous occasions in the past where an athlete couldn't get into USF but got in somewhere else. One golfer went to illustrious UF after failing to get into USF.  The #1 amateur golfer in the world had troubles getting into USF and turned pro instead.  A football player went to L'ville.  A basketball kid went to Oregon. May be others but those are some that come to mind.

Edited by CousinRicky
  • Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

3 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

Our daughter's grades and test scores wouldn't get her into today's USF.  

I don't believe mine would have either 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  3,175
  • Days Won:  12

Yeah, not sure what all this grade bashing at USF is about.....no we aren't Vanderbilt but we aren't Georgia or Alabama either. It getting pretty competitive to get into this school, not like it was when I got in and you could accidentally wander onto campus and be part of the incoming freshmen. Not at all commenting on whether Battle is leaving for grades or not, but even if he was, its nothing to be ashamed about, this school is getting tougher and more academically fit. 

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,853
  • Days Won:  67

26 minutes ago, cophbulls said:

Yeah, not sure what all this grade bashing at USF is about.....no we aren't Vanderbilt but we aren't Georgia or Alabama either. It getting pretty competitive to get into this school, not like it was when I got in and you could accidentally wander onto campus and be part of the incoming freshmen. Not at all commenting on whether Battle is leaving for grades or not, but even if he was, its nothing to be ashamed about, this school is getting tougher and more academically fit. 

Good point and the school is getting more difficult.  These schools have one set of admission standards for students and a lesser one for the second tier sports and an even lower one for football and basketball players.  Obviously they have to at least meet the minimum requirements set by the NCAA.  My guess is still academics and he still would have played in the spring game because his grades were not final at the time.  Once again light class load fall, college ready classes squeaked by and then did not have the skill or will and flamed out in the spring. No shame and no evidence of this however to me the most logical reason. I guess this still makes me a coward for some insane reason.