• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Time To Audition King as OC

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  215
  • Content Count:  1,777
  • Days Won:  0

12 hours ago, SANJAY said:

CCS may move on from Gilbert. But I think there’s no chance he gives King, or any other first time coordinator, the job if he thinks his job may be on the line.

There is precedence for Strong hiring a positions coach to a coordinator position.  Strong elevated Brian Jean-Mary from linebackers coach at Texas to defensive coordinator at USF. I see no reason why Strong could not provide the same opportunity to Shaun King. 

Shaun would bring an interesting mix of offenses.  Keep in mind he ran Rich Rodriguez's offense when he was at Tulane.  Mix that in with his experience with the Gulf Coast Offense and any learnings from his playing days in the NFL and the AFL, I believe there would be enough to create an offense that can score points.  

• Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  1,700
  • Days Won:  2

9 hours ago, Blackice12 said:

There is precedence for Strong hiring a positions coach to a coordinator position.  Strong elevated Brian Jean-Mary from linebackers coach at Texas to defensive coordinator at USF. I see no reason why Strong could not provide the same opportunity to Shaun King. 

Shaun would bring an interesting mix of offenses.  Keep in mind he ran Rich Rodriguez's offense when he was at Tulane.  Mix that in with his experience with the Gulf Coast Offense and any learnings from his playing days in the NFL and the AFL, I believe there would be enough to create an offense that can score points.  

It is a huge gamble to promote King to OC. Its going two ways. He either looks like a million dollars or Strong is fired for a poor decision. Im glad Im not CCS right now.

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  4,131
  • Days Won:  15

The offense, with the exception of vs. Temple has done their job all year long.  While most do not like the play calling they have been effective.  Fire Gilbert is a lot like the mob that wanted to fire Stan Heath because they couldn't stand winning basketball games 46-41.  It's just dumb to call for the termination of Gilbert because you want to see double-reverses on every down or some "wide-open" play calling.  

The defense, with very few exceptions has played very, very poorly this year.  I'm not on the fire anyone bandwagon, but at least be educated about the game and the roles played.

Go Bulls!

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,097
  • Days Won:  39

5 minutes ago, Bausfkid said:

Fire Gilbert is a lot like the mob that wanted to fire Stan Heath because they couldn't stand winning basketball games 46-41.  It's just dumb to call for the termination of Gilbert because you want to see double-reverses on every down or some "wide-open" play calling.  

So let me follow this.  We would rather not play to our speed and strength so that we put way more pressure on the defense?  That sounds like a losing strategy.  I would rather get our athletes flying around while CCS stocks up on defense.  

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,713
  • Days Won:  109

20 minutes ago, Bausfkid said:

The offense, with the exception of vs. Temple has done their job all year long.  While most do not like the play calling they have been effective.  Fire Gilbert is a lot like the mob that wanted to fire Stan Heath because they couldn't stand winning basketball games 46-41.  It's just dumb to call for the termination of Gilbert because you want to see double-reverses on every down or some "wide-open" play calling.  

The defense, with very few exceptions has played very, very poorly this year.  I'm not on the fire anyone bandwagon, but at least be educated about the game and the roles played.

Go Bulls!

I agree that the defense is a big problem but the offense put up 20 vs ECU, 25 vs Tulsa, 15 vs Tulane, 23 vs Cinci and 17 vs Temple.  Not quite a juggernaut on that side of the ball.  

1 minute ago, CousinRicky said:

I agree that the defense is a big problem but the offense put up 20 vs ECU, 25 vs Tulsa, 15 vs Tulane, 23 vs Cinci and 17 vs Temple.  Not quite a juggernaut on that side of the ball.  

I don't think this defense is good enough yet to carry the team obviously, but they are good enough now to win if we weren't completely inept. 

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,562
  • Days Won:  28

32 minutes ago, Bausfkid said:

Go Bulls!

We were up 17-0 going into the 3rd quarter, the defense only allowed 1 td and 1 field goal in the 3rd quarter and we lost 27-17. This offense sucks. I dont think we are even averaging 30 pts a game anymore. 

#ShaunKingForOC

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,713
  • Days Won:  109

35 minutes ago, Bausfkid said:

Go Bulls!

And from another thread it looks like this guy disagrees with you:

Dan Orlovsky - Yeah so offensively, they’re just, they’re in my opinion, in watching them on tape, they’re still stuck in 8 years ago. I mean ALL they do is tempo, and they just, there’s no emphasis offensively to be just like “ok let’s get Barnett a couple of completions, let’s get him an easy throw.” “Ok how can we help some of our receivers Salomon and McCants, how can we help those guys in man coverage?” Because all they do, the great majority of all they do is just take go routes, whether they’re inside fades from the slot or go routes on the outside… kind of those switch release concepts. You know it’s just very simplified and defenses have gone “ok these are the 3 or 4 things they do in their pass game and we are just going to force them to do 45 yard completions down the field on a constant basis,” and they haven’t been able to hit them so that’s been a big part about what’s gone on with their offense. They just get themselves, you know on 1st down they’ll take a go shot, and on 2nd down they’ll run the ball and get 2 or 3 yards and then its 3rd and 7. They live in 3rd and long, I mean they live in 3rd and long and then they’ll just go throw deep balls again and that’s really what’s hindered their offense and they don’t get into any kind of rhythm, they don’t open their playbook up because they don’t get 1st downs.

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,469
  • Days Won:  25

5 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

And from another thread it looks like this guy disagrees with you:

Dan Orlovsky - Yeah so offensively, they’re just, they’re in my opinion, in watching them on tape, they’re still stuck in 8 years ago. I mean ALL they do is tempo, and they just, there’s no emphasis offensively to be just like “ok let’s get Barnett a couple of completions, let’s get him an easy throw.” “Ok how can we help some of our receivers Salomon and McCants, how can we help those guys in man coverage?” Because all they do, the great majority of all they do is just take go routes, whether they’re inside fades from the slot or go routes on the outside… kind of those switch release concepts. You know it’s just very simplified and defenses have gone “ok these are the 3 or 4 things they do in their pass game and we are just going to force them to do 45 yard completions down the field on a constant basis,” and they haven’t been able to hit them so that’s been a big part about what’s gone on with their offense. They just get themselves, you know on 1st down they’ll take a go shot, and on 2nd down they’ll run the ball and get 2 or 3 yards and then its 3rd and 7. They live in 3rd and long, I mean they live in 3rd and long and then they’ll just go throw deep balls again and that’s really what’s hindered their offense and they don’t get into any kind of rhythm, they don’t open their playbook up because they don’t get 1st downs.

That was kind of hard to read, but if I understand what he's saying it's that the offense is boring and predictable.

1 minute ago, BDYZR said:

That was kind of hard to read, but if I understand what he's saying it's that the offense is boring and predictable.

What's hilarious is that he probably only watched some footage, basically described exactly what is happening, and we get to witness this slow death game in and game out lol