• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Time To Audition King as OC

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  108
  • Content Count:  2,484
  • Days Won:  1

3 hours ago, zarnozdabull said:

As someone who used to work for athletics when I was a student, I can tell you that I never understood a word that came out of Coach Blackwell’s mouth. He also seemed lost all the time.

I’m grateful for what he did as a player, but he’s not our savior as a coach by any means.

Glad to see perspective like this. Wonder how he ended up at WVU?

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

7 hours ago, Blackice12 said:

Take a deeper look at Gilbert's background. He went from a high school OC to an FCS OC at Eastern Illinois  under Dino Babers. Dino Babers worked as a positions coach for Art Briles and had an extensive background coaching on the offensive side of the ball. Sterlin was not calling the plays: it's no different than what Willie Taggart does. So Sterlin being the spark for Eastern Illinois is questionable at best.

Then Sterlin goes to Bowling Green, same arrangement as Eastern Illinois with Babers as the HC. 

Sterlin's next stop is Tulsa with recently hired Phillip Montgomery.  Montgomery was the OC for Baylor working directly with Art Briles.  

Next stop for Sterlin was Texas followed by USF. 

In my opinion he was originally given the position to support recruiting and since that time it has been a friendly hire since with the majority of the offensive play calling  direction coming from the head coach. At Texas and at USF he has shown a lack of progression.

Keep in mind the 2 point conversion at UCF last year was a Taggert play that Flowers and Johnson decided. 

If I am Strong get ready to turn the page.

Note:At best former Art Briles assistants  as HCs have a touch over 50% winning percentage. The offense truly takes a mobile QB that can really throw the ball.  

This... Gilbert Rode the coattails of guys higher up the Veer N Shoot tree but lacks the ability to manage the offense on his own.   Between that and screwing with Flowers delivery last season he's been an albatross to this offense the last 2 seasons.  

Edited by Bull Dozer
  • Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

1 hour ago, BiggTipp said:

Glad to see perspective like this. Wonder how he ended up at WVU?

He got there by doing a good job.  He was at Toledo prior and did a great job with their Rbs.  I get the perspective but I also note that Blackwell was never a coach at USF... unless he's talking about High School.. and if he noted something like that as a high school student, I wouldn't give it much credence. 

Actually I'm wrong... I remember talking to him at the Spring game in 2009... so he did coach here.  

Edited by Calibull

• Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  2,427
  • Days Won:  3

1 hour ago, Calibull said:

He got there by doing a good job.  He was at Toledo prior and did a great job with their Rbs.  I get the perspective but I also note that Blackwell was never a coach at USF... unless he's talking about High School.. and if he noted something like that as a high school student, I wouldn't give it much credence. 

Actually I'm wrong... I remember talking to him at the Spring game in 2009... so he did coach here.  

He was an offensive program coordinator at USF in 2009.

While technically not a positions coach, we kind of just called everyone around the athletics building and football program “coach.”

I was star struck when I first met him, but it kind of went away after trying to hold a conversation with him.

Still, he IS a playing legend here regardless.

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Just now, zarnozdabull said:

While technically not a positions coach, we kind of just called everyone around the athletics building and football program “coach.”

I was star struck when I first met him, but it kind of went away after trying to hold a conversation with him.

Not the first time I've heard from people that there are "issues" that will keep Blackwell from ever being anything more than a position coach.  Hell there were some who believed those same "issues" may even keep him from that ceiling...   

3 hours ago, zarnozdabull said:

I literally said I was wrong... I remember meeting him in 2009 at spring ball.  You actually quoted it to me in your response.  

• Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  2,427
  • Days Won:  3

1 hour ago, Calibull said:

I literally said I was wrong... I remember meeting him in 2009 at spring ball.  You actually quoted it to me in your response.  

Right. I never said otherwise?

11 minutes ago, zarnozdabull said:

Right. I never said otherwise?

Don't pay me any mind... it's been a long day.  This entire fiasco with Gilbert has me goobers.  My bad, you indeed did not say nor imply otherwise.  

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

10 minutes ago, Calibull said:

Don't pay me any mind... it's been a long day.  This entire fiasco with Gilbert has me goobers.  My bad, you indeed did not say nor imply otherwise.  

I understand. From the hope of Barnett and 12-0 to the bull poop on the field. Been a long season. Very exhausting and dis-spiriting.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

12 hours ago, zarnozdabull said:

As someone who used to work for athletics when I was a student, I can tell you that I never understood a word that came out of Coach Blackwell’s mouth. He also seemed lost all the time.

I’m grateful for what he did as a player, but he’s not our savior as a coach by any means.

Sounds like Blackwell was an earlier version of Nick Marshall?

https://youtu.be/lquynxz8ibM