• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF, Central Michigan cancel 2-game football series

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

On 9/20/2018 at 8:25 AM, JimUSFSig said:

Hope we get an FCS team!

We already have  Wisconsin, Ga Tech, and BYU ... we don't need third P5 team.  I would be okay with a Sun Belt team and a 2-for-1 contract. 🙂

Actually we do need another P5 team Jim.

In all seriousness, do you ask the best looking girl to prom or do you settle for what's left after everyone else has selected their dime piece? Taking the slop home may work in a bar at 2 AM, but why be that guy when you can be the MAN closing the deal at midnight? We have a very good QB. When an opportunity like this presents itself, you need to grab that motherf*cker by the throat and show no mercy. I know we have a nice OOC schedule in 2022, but we might not have a QB like Blake Barnett in 2022. Then what happens? 

You watch blue blood programs like Notre Dame play insanely competitive schedules year in and year out. The SEC in-conference scheduling can be a nightmare for most programs across the country. Look at Texas A&M for instance. Two weeks ago, they played Clemson (OOC). This weekend, Alabama rolls into town. Wisconsin and BYU are good programs with storied histories, but sandwich them around North Texas with our conference schedule and ACC cream puff Georgia Tech, no one takes us seriously. Add UF or FSU on the road... now you're opening the eyes of pollsters.

This is essentially the opportunity WVU had a decade ago until their meltdown against Pittsburgh in the last game of the season. The Big East was by far the weakest conference in the eyes of the pollsters, however WVU made people notice - they then proceeded to wet the bed when they had their opportunity. You CAN'T wet the bed WITHOUT the opportunity. You have to give yourself the chance to pull a USF... or maybe just maybe, Barnett breaks our annual run of wetting the bed when it matters most.

Schedule big and draw the interest of the casual USF fanbase and pollster curiosity or schedule mediocre and be happy with a stadium half-full and pollsters watching other teams Saturday afternoon while only paying attention to the ticker for the USF vs Little Sisters of the Poor game.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

3 hours ago, The Sheriff said:

In all seriousness, do you ask the best looking girl to prom or do you settle for what's left after everyone else has selected their dime piece? Taking the slop home may work in a bar at 2 AM, but why be that guy when you can be the MAN closing the deal at midnight? We have a very good QB. When an opportunity like this presents itself, you need to grab that motherf*cker by the throat and show no mercy. I know we have a nice OOC schedule in 2022, but we might not have a QB like Blake Barnett in 2022. Then what happens? 

You watch blue blood programs like Notre Dame play insanely competitive schedules year in and year out. The SEC in-conference scheduling can be a nightmare for most programs across the country. Look at Texas A&M for instance. Two weeks ago, they played Clemson (OOC). This weekend, Alabama rolls into town. Wisconsin and BYU are good programs with storied histories, but sandwich them around North Texas with our conference schedule and ACC cream puff Georgia Tech, no one takes us seriously. Add UF or FSU on the road... now you're opening the eyes of pollsters.

This is essentially the opportunity WVU had a decade ago until their meltdown against Pittsburgh in the last game of the season. The Big East was by far the weakest conference in the eyes of the pollsters, however WVU made people notice - they then proceeded to wet the bed when they had their opportunity. You CAN'T wet the bed WITHOUT the opportunity. You have to give yourself the chance to pull a USF... or maybe just maybe, Barnett breaks our annual run of wetting the bed when it matters most.

Schedule big and draw the interest of the casual USF fanbase and pollster curiosity or schedule mediocre and be happy with a stadium half-full and pollsters watching other teams Saturday afternoon while only paying attention to the ticker for the USF vs Little Sisters of the Poor game.

I agree with your post and don’t know why you down voted mine. I have said over and over in this thread to schedule the best team possible even if that is a one and done. However, if you think this will get us to the college football playoffs your delusional. 

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

On 9/20/2018 at 1:46 PM, NewEnglandBull said:

This. Many  delusional people on this board are talking about increasing our schedule strength in order to get to the playoffs. Playoffs are not going to happen. However I still would like a game against a big time program just for the enjoyment of watching the game. 

I down voted this portion of it. Let's look at Houston two seasons ago.

1. At the time, they were ranked #15 in the nation. They beat #3 Oklahoma by 10 points to open the season.

2. They were 5-0 going into the Navy game with a solid win over #3 Oklahoma. At the time of the Navy game, Houston was ranked #6 in the nation. Say they win that game vice losing in the end and then don't drop any other games going into the Louisville game (week 11).

3. The 'Ville was #5 in the nation when Houston trounced them by 26 points. The 'Ville's only loss going into the Houston game was to #5 Clemson by six points.  I don't see how you would keep Houston out of the playoffs if they win out. They would have been ranked higher than Louisville who had one loss and was #5 when they played Houston. The 'Ville beat #2 FSU earlier that season by 43 points. It wasn't like Louisville was overrated. Houston had the table set for them - they just didn't deliver on their end.

Hence the belief we schedule the best schools possible and make a run for the playoff. Stranger things have happened.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

26 minutes ago, The Sheriff said:

1. At the time, they were ranked #15 in the nation. They beat #3 Oklahoma by 10 points to open the season.

2. They were 5-0 going into the Navy game with a solid win over #3 Oklahoma. At the time of the Navy game, Houston was ranked #6 in the nation. Say they win that game vice losing in the end and then don't drop any other games going into the Louisville game (week 11).

3. The 'Ville was #5 in the nation when Houston trounced them by 26 points. The 'Ville's only loss going into the Houston game was to #5 Clemson by six points.  I don't see how you would keep Houston out of the playoffs if they win out. They would have been ranked higher than Louisville who had one loss and was #5 when they played Houston. The 'Ville beat #2 FSU earlier that season by 43 points. It wasn't like Louisville was overrated. Houston had the table set for them - they just didn't deliver on their end.

Hence the belief we schedule the best schools possible and make a run for the playoff. Stranger things have happened.

First we would have to win those games which will not be easy and beat a few conference foes that will challenge us (Navy, Memphis, Cincy, golden showers). Then you are going to need teams in the Pee 5 to lose and probably lose twice. But even if all of that happens in our favor, your’re forgetting one key ingredient...politics. Are you telling me you think the playoff committee is really going to let someone from the kids table into the club? I find that really hard to believe.

I get it, anything is possible but looking realistically, I just don’t see it happening. Of course if I am wrong I would be happy to eat a sh!t sandwich and enjoy an incredible event. 

I do agree with you, however, that we need to schedule the biggest baddest team that we can...kick their ass and take their money. 

Edited by NewEnglandBull
  • Like 1

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,023
  • Days Won:  469

Now, let's get rid of the Western Kentucky series.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,604
  • Days Won:  424

13 minutes ago, The Sheriff said:

Also remember, though, that you're interspersing AP poll numbers and CFP poll numbers up there. The AP numbers were the result of a two year process. I'm not sure how much the Committee uses two years like the AP does. Oklahoma was #14 rather than #3 by the time the Committee started their rankings.

In 2016, Houston didn't play a ranked team after OU until the Cards. Although Louisville was #5 when they lost to UH, they went out and lost to UK the next week and went to #13. OU finished season #7. IMO, there was enough there for the Committee to justify keeping Houston out of the top 4, and not shutting out 2 P5 conferences, even if they had gone 13-0. It would take a perfect storm of Biblical proportions for a G5 to make the playoffs under the current set up. I'm all for the anywhere, anytime ooc scheduling because those games are great, and would help towards a NY6 bowl, but we need to just stop with any playoff talk/scenario. It's a waste of time ...... even for a message board.

• Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  624
  • Days Won:  1

Please can we find a way to schedule Rutgers. I don't care if hurts strength of schedule, whether it is home or away or any other considerations. It would just be nice to kick their azz and win by 50. Technically it would be a P5 win (though they are obviously lacking that quality). 

Rutgers is losing to Buffalo 35-6 at the half. 

8 hours ago, The Sheriff said:

Sorry, I wholeheartedly disagree. When you go to the buffet, you can't only have the meat options. You have to have a salad and some fruit.

As long as an FCS win counts for bowl eligibility, USF should play an FCS team at home.

Every.

Season.

The other three games should be 2 P5 and 1 G5... like we have next year.

• Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

I sometimes eat all meat at the buffet.  Ever been to Fogo de Chao?  You only eat meat there.  You never, EVER touch the salad or vegetables.  Just take some Metamucil later.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  684
  • Content Count:  7,642
  • Days Won:  6

19 minutes ago, JimUSFSig said:

Sorry, I wholeheartedly disagree. When you go to the buffet, you can't only have the meat options. You have to have a salad and some fruit.

As long as an FCS win counts for bowl eligibility, USF should play an FCS team at home.

Every.

Season.

The other three games should be 2 P5 and 1 G5... like we have next year.

And like we have this year.