• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Georgia Tech Game

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  27
  • Days Won:  0

7 minutes ago, Orlando Bull said:

Sorry, this got long... UM vs USF comparison/scouting report below...

So... not the typical USF response here, so, some background... My wife (I found a good one) is a huge canes fan. She yells and cusses at the TV when the canes are on just as much as I do for the Bulls... so, I have watched a lot of UM football over the last 3 years...

Richt is a good coach, he has consistently been underwhelmed by Rosier's play. Rosier made some crazy (lucky) throws late in games last year to win 2 or maybe 3 games they shouldn't have won (I think one was against you guys if I recall). After 1 game, I'm ready to say Barnett is a better QB than Rosier. Rosier is streaky at best. He misses throws by yards. The game last weekend was atrocious if you take out the brilliant plays his WRs made on occasion. Barnett probably has the same mobility, but is way more accurate. What we havent seen is him under pressure, but, Rosier is bad, so, I'll call it a wash at worse for Barnett.

As for WRs, RIchards is pretty good for UM, they had another guy that made some big plays (Cager maybe?), but, I think we have better depth. Speed is probably the same. One thing I noticed was that Rosier was having to throw to tight windows. Maybe LSU DBs are all NFL talent, but, I would think the WRs would get better separation. They didn't seem to be able to get themselves open at all. UM's TE (or 2) were out and they were playing a true freshman on Sunday, but, edge goes to us with Wilcox there with what they put on the field last week. Maybe UM's regular guys are better. Wilcox has been prone to fumblitis in the past, hopefully he has that worked out, he's a solid talent if so. For WRs, I am not sure if we have a big contested catch guy yet... probably McCants, but, I suspect that while across the board I like our WRs better, Miami probably has some stronger guys for fighting for the football.

Miami likely has better overall depth than us, and, their defense is likely way better than ours. Seems like they were finding their way a bit on Sunday, but, their LBs are all pretty solid. They most likely are bigger than us too. We lost a lot of guys on defense, so, short of what we saw on Saturday, none of us really know what to expect from our guys. The defensive backfield should be pretty good, but, we lost 2 DTs to the NFL, our seasoned MLB (who was average, but, consistently so), a DE, a nickle CB, etc. So, Who knows what we really have.

On offense, your coaches won't have much film to work with. With Flowers last year, the offense was a different beast. It was probably completely unpredictable. Flowers could looks like Joe Montana at times with his arm, and, at other times, he could look like a D2 QB... but, he could ALWAYS pick up tough yards with his legs and always had the Montana moments when the game was on the line. Now with Barnett, we're going to rely more on RBs for rushing yards and accurate passing to athletic WRs. Gilbert can scheme more this year.. to bring this back to Miami, I don't think Richt can scheme for Rosier because he is so hot and cold. Watching that game, they were reluctant to let him pass in the middle of the field between 5-25 yards... that severely limits the offense (and Rosier is not going to kill you with his legs). I feel like Richt has to see how things are going and try to adjust to his QB's play rather than trusting in any consistency and building around it.

Thanks for the info, and yes it was Miami who beat us because on a 4th and long crazy lucky catch. UM QB was definitely cold when we played them, and I thought UM was way over rated last year. Here’s a video of the catch from Miami. 

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

we have to be able to stop the FB dive.

This is why Strong gets paid the big bucks. he needs to come up with a defensive scheme to stop them.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

16 minutes ago, GTFAN1 said:

Thanks for the info, and yes it was Miami who beat us because on a 4th and long crazy lucky catch. UM QB was definitely cold when we played them, and I thought UM was way over rated last year. Here’s a video of the catch from Miami. 

If the DB turns around, that's a pick

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

9 hours ago, GTFAN1 said:

Would y’all say y’all have a better WR group compared to Miami? 

I would say we're in the same ball park but the two units have different strengths.  They probably have a bit more speed as a unit but we have more height/size.  Don't get me wrong our guys can all run but they have a 1 or 2 elite speed guys which I feel is the one thing we're missing in our unit.   There will be times where we line up and not a single receivers is smaller than 6' 2" 200+  and everybody can run.   And others where the only guy shorter is McCants and well, you'll see about McCants because he doesn't make sense when you explain him but he makes perfect sense when he's doing grown ass man things once he has the ball in his hands.  Basically our unit can still run but we're more physical than Miami IMO while Miami is faster but probably a bit more of a traditional finesse/speed WR group.  

Edited by Bull Dozer
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

5 minutes ago, Bull Dozer said:

I would say we're in the same ball park but the two units have different strengths.  They probably have a bit more speed as a unit but we have more height/size.  Don't get me wrong our guys can all run but they have a 1 or 2 elite speed guys which I feel is the one thing we're missing in our unit.   There will be times where we line up and not a single receivers is smaller than 6' 2" 200+  and everybody can run.   And others where the only guy shorter is McCants and well, you'll see about McCants because he doesn't make sense when you explain him but he makes perfect sense when he's doing grown ass man things once he has the ball in his hands.  Basically our unit can still run but we're more physical than Miami IMO while Miami is faster but probably a bit more of a traditional finesse/speed WR group.  

McCans is a beast. Period

• Topic Count:  106
  • Content Count:  1,318
  • Days Won:  2

I have no doubt our skill positions can handle themselves on both sides of the ball.

I have serious concerns the line will win in the trenches on both sides of the ball.

I also have doubts about CCS ability to coach up in a big game (albeit in a very small sample size). It's sad that a .500 GT team is what we consider a big game now.

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

1 minute ago, Capital H said:

I have no doubt our skill positions can handle themselves on both sides of the ball.

I have serious concerns the line will win in the trenches on both sides of the ball.

I also have doubts about CCS ability to coach up in a big game (albeit in a very small sample size). It's sad that a .500 GT team is what we consider a big game now.

By the looks of the ACC Coastal, they very well could be competing for that division this year. VT looks solid, but everyone else... meh.

59 minutes ago, Apis Bull said:

If the DB turns around, that's a pick

Maybe, maybe not. Even not getting turned around he got his hand in there which is what you are suppose to do. The safety coming over misread the ball as well, he’s the one I think could have picked it off. 

20 minutes ago, Capital H said:

That was last year, if you know anything about GT they can randomly have 2014 type season. We went from 3 wins in 2015 to 9 in 2016. I don’t understand the whole judging a team based on the year before, if you’ve watched football long enough, you know things can change drastically in 1 year. Also GT was a lot better than 5 wins last year. Lost to UT which should have never happened, Miami beat us on the crazy catch, and UVA beat us at the last second which shouldn’t happen. We had real issues closing out games last year. 

• Topic Count:  258
  • Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

I hear a lot of excuses...a win is a win, and a loss is a loss.  This loss should have never happened, a crazy catch cost us the game, and a last second...made us lose.  Its called football.  The bottom line is that the better team on Saturday will win.  Go Bulls!