• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Georgia Tech Game

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

59 minutes ago, DELdaBull said:

This game will tell us a lot and not enough. 

We suck until we don't 

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

18 hours ago, Rocky Style said:

As long as the tackling is not Elon levels of sharpness, we should be good.  I worried about some of their runs gashing us majorly.

I have seen the run defense Elon game cited as reason for concern against GT. While stopping the run is tantamount against GT, I didn't see anything from the guys that will actually be playing significant minutes against GT that would cause me to be more concerned than a would be against the triple option.  

Up until the point the game was out of hand (31-0) Elon had a total of 29 rushes for 64 yards (2.2 ypc). 43 of those yards came on the first drive of the game (9 for 43, 4.78 ypc). After the opening drive, we held Elon to 21 yards on 20 carries (1.05 ypc). Once our guys woke up, we shut them down completely. It wasn't until Elon brought in their mobile QB against out 3rd and 4th stringers that they found any real success on the ground. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  27
  • Days Won:  0

3 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

I have seen the run defense Elon game cited as reason for concern against GT. While stopping the run is tantamount against GT, I didn't see anything from the guys that will actually be playing significant minutes against GT that would cause me to be more concerned than a would be against the triple option.  

Up until the point the game was out of hand (31-0) Elon had a total of 29 rushes for 64 yards (2.2 ypc). 43 of those yards came on the first drive of the game (9 for 43, 4.78 ypc). After the opening drive, we held Elon to 21 yards on 20 carries (1.05 ypc). Once our guys woke up, we shut them down completely. It wasn't until Elon brought in their mobile QB against out 3rd and 4th stringers that they found any real success on the ground. 

I can all but guarantee GT runs the ball 10 times as effective as Elon. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

3 minutes ago, GTFAN1 said:

and I can all but guarantee that our defense will be better stopping the run. Will it be enough? That’s why they play the game.

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

5 minutes ago, GTFAN1 said:

That's all you have, I wouldn't expect anything less. My point was not directed at you, but rather the Bulls fans that have expressed displeasure over our run defense. The numbers became inflated when we brought in the true freshman. The same holds true for USF when you pointed out that there were guys on the field for GT that probably won't be there on Saturday. Our third and fourth stringers essentially gave up all of the rushing yards. 

The game is going to be close on Saturday. I see many of your fans predicting a 14+ point win. Not quite sure what that is based upon other than fandom. I think the real reason is that a loss to us and you have to accept the fact that you are looking at another 5 or 6 loss season. Beat us and you can hope for a 9-3 campaign. 

28 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

and I can all but guarantee that our defense will be better stopping the run. Will it be enough? That’s why they play the game.

I agree y’all will definitely be better at stopping the run. Believe it or not fast ILB give us a ton of trouble, not sure if y’all have one? 

27 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

That's all you have, I wouldn't expect anything less. My point was not directed at you, but rather the Bulls fans that have expressed displeasure over our run defense. The numbers became inflated when we brought in the true freshman. The same holds true for USF when you pointed out that there were guys on the field for GT that probably won't be there on Saturday. Our third and fourth stringers essentially gave up all of the rushing yards. 

The game is going to be close on Saturday. I see many of your fans predicting a 14+ point win. Not quite sure what that is based upon other than fandom. I think the real reason is that a loss to us and you have to accept the fact that you are looking at another 5 or 6 loss season. Beat us and you can hope for a 9-3 campaign. 

Ok, so calm down I was just making a statement. I wasn’t bashing y’all by any means if that’s what you though. Sometime people make statements and it’s just that, a statement. Also some are predicting a 14+ point win but your fans predicting over a 20 point win for y’all. And what your saying is, if we lose to y’all we may win 5 or 6 but if we win it could be 9? What about what’s in between? I didn’t know losing a game week 2 could cause you to lose other games you would otherwise win if you won week 2.

Edited by GTFAN1

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

12 minutes ago, GTFAN1 said:

I agree y’all will definitely be better at stopping the run. Believe it or not fast ILB give us a ton of trouble, not sure if y’all have one? 

Khalid Mcgee would fit that description. He's a converted safety and plays like it. If you guys let him run around and do his thing he will create havoc. He's obviously on the lighter side but he's often fast enough and good enough at diagnosing plays that he can use his speed to be very disruptive. We haven't played a true power run team since he's converted so it will be interesting seeing how he deals with a physical option attack 

Edited by Bull Dozer
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Bull Dozer said:

Khalid Mcgee would fit that description. He's converted safety and plays like it. If you guys let him run around and do his thing he will create havoc. He's obviously on the lighter side but he's often fast enough and good enough at diagnosing plays that he can use his speed to be very disruptive. We haven't played a true power run team since he's converted so it will be interesting seeing how he deals with a physical option attack 

Duke had a guy a couple years ago named cash, he was a safety but they played him in the box and he wrecked havoc on us. The big thing is will they play him in the middle or outside? We can generally get to guys better if they are OLB with our OT or a pulling guard. The MLB hurts us because if they are fast and athletic it’s hard for our center to reach them in time because it has to be done so fast compared to an OLB where the play might be longer developing for our OG or OT to get a hat on them. The other big thing is diagnosing the play and not biting on miss direction. GT will run the same play with multiple blocking schemes, so it can be difficult to really know where the ball is going, in doing this you might think it’s a different play than it really is. 

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  3,805

1 hour ago, BullyPulpit said:

I did. I saw DTs getting no push. I saw Khalid and sawtelle taking terrible angles. DEs getting pancaked and it and looked pretty similar to Temple 2 years ago