• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Georgia Tech Game

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  12
  • Days Won:  0

7 hours ago, GT FAN said:

Might want to go back and read my post in the context it was written. I said you probably won’t see many of the guys we played Saturday unless we are blowing y’all out. It was an example and an explanation that we played a bunch of guys in the first game to get a feel for them. At no time did I say we would or predict that we would blow y’all out. Also Id bet if we had y’all schedule we would have won 10 games as well......no offense but we play Miami, VT, Clemson, and UGA every year. We also lost 3 games that should have never been lost, however an L is an L. 

I'm not sure I agree with this. The new defensive coordinator has said he wants to play a butt ton of guys.  He likes to rotate a lot everyone can stay fresh and play like their hair is on fire.

now, it's entirely possible that you're right, and some of those guys wouldn't play against teams not named Alcorn State, but I just don't think we have a long enough track record to say one way or the other.

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

46 minutes ago, Bullrush33 said:

It all means nothing unless our undersized defense can stop the run.

Yes. Many may not realize that the first option in the option is the dive. This doesn't look like something we're built to stop. Never have been.

ISV%20GIF.gif

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

7 hours ago, GT FAN said:

Might want to go back and read my post in the context it was written. I said you probably won’t see many of the guys we played Saturday unless we are blowing y’all out. It was an example and an explanation that we played a bunch of guys in the first game to get a feel for them. At no time did I say we would or predict that we would blow y’all out. Also Id bet if we had y’all schedule we would have won 10 games as well......no offense but we play Miami, VT, Clemson, and UGA every year. We also lost 3 games that should have never been lost, however an L is an L. 

2 points... Would those guys play if we're blowing you out and our backup offense is in? (no offense, but, I suspect that struck a nerve, same as it does for us, even though it's hypothetical)

Second... If you played our schedule, AND, were limited to our resources, you'd feel different than it being easy to win 10 games per season. That's the P5 arrogance coming out. I'm not bashing you for it, but, just looking at a schedule and surmising how easy it is to win 10 games without the context of how difficult it is to keep a coach and have a decent staff due to financial limitations is narrow minded. We're in a decent spot because Texas is still paying a lot of our staff. However, you'll see a lot of turnover when that well dries up because we can't compete for assistants. My guess is that if you guys were in the AAC, you'd be similar to Navy... good, able to compete some years, but, not dominating the conference in any way at all.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  1,494

1 hour ago, Bullrush33 said:

It all means nothing unless our undersized defense can stop the run.

Hopefully it doesn't look like the FSU defense last night.  They couldn't stop anyone up the middle or around the ends.  I had flashbacks to the Temple game.

• Content Count:  24

57 minutes ago, ilovetheoption said:

I'm not sure I agree with this. The new defensive coordinator has said he wants to play a butt ton of guys.  He likes to rotate a lot everyone can stay fresh and play like their hair is on fire.

now, it's entirely possible that you're right, and some of those guys wouldn't play against teams not named Alcorn State, but I just don't think we have a long enough track record to say one way or the other.

I’m going by what I’ve heard from someone close to the program. For instance you won’t see the 2 true freshman playing at CB probably much. You also won’t see as much rotation, although it will still be a lot.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Orlando Bull said:

2 points... Would those guys play if we're blowing you out and our backup offense is in? (no offense, but, I suspect that struck a nerve, same as it does for us, even though it's hypothetical)

Second... If you played our schedule, AND, were limited to our resources, you'd feel different than it being easy to win 10 games per season. That's the P5 arrogance coming out. I'm not bashing you for it, but, just looking at a schedule and surmising how easy it is to win 10 games without the context of how difficult it is to keep a coach and have a decent staff due to financial limitations is narrow minded. We're in a decent spot because Texas is still paying a lot of our staff. However, you'll see a lot of turnover when that well dries up because we can't compete for assistants. My guess is that if you guys were in the AAC, you'd be similar to Navy... good, able to compete some years, but, not dominating the conference in any way at all.

If you would have said, if y’all are blowing us out in the context I said it, I might have said something along the line of that won’t happen but I wouldn’t have gotten mad. Also the 5-3 record was used without knowing our resources. 2nd to last in ACC funding, in the bottom half of power 5 schools in funding, calculus as a requirement in all degree options, until this year our locker room was from the early 2000’s, and while schools like UGA have close to 40 support staff members, until this year GT had only 3. So I know what it’s like to not have good resources, however, USF still gets very good recruits, so the whole resource thing imo goes out the window when you have a top 3 AAC recruiting class on average over the past 4 years. Try averaging in the high 40’s to low 50’s like GT, man I’d love to have classes like y’all compared to the teams we play. So I’ll say it this way if we had the recruits y’all had with yalls scheduled we would be a 10 win team as well, and that’s not a hit on y’all, it’s nothing y’all can fix so to speak. I also wouldn’t mind seeing y’all become a power 5 team along with UCF, Navy and Houston. Btw I come in peace, I really wasn’t trying to upset anyone, I was simply trying to make a point. Sorry if it bothered you or anyone else. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 7overlord said:

Many teams play a lot of young guys early but if I had to bet, the 1s were primarily playing the first two quarters and that’s where I made my assessment. 

Yes it was a very vanilla defense but having WRs of a lower caliber that open and giving them that much cushion could be disturbing. 

If either Alcorn QB could complete a pass, they may have made it a little more competitive.

there is no way GT can play off of USFs WRs like that. If they do, GT will have to drop a LB in coverage which then let’s people see how Cronk can run.

GT rotated a lot more than what they will probably do though, even early. In the first 5 series we played 3 guys at one position. The starting OLB actually barley played at all, he’s a senior and we know what we have from him. Also how many times did the Alcorn QB miss a route where the guy was wide open? 2 or 3 times? The rest of the time it was pretty tight coverage from the main guys. However, y’alls WR’s are way better and a better QB, I agree we will have to play tighter against y’all. My point is to say neither team really knows 100 percent what they have and so predictions based on game 1 are really hard, and to say you aren’t impressed is fine, but your not impressed with something that you probably won’t see. It should be a fun one regardless! 

Edited by GT FAN

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

3 minutes ago, GT FAN said:

If you would have said, if y’all are blowing us out in the context I said it, I might have said something along the line of that won’t happen but I wouldn’t have gotten mad. Also the 5-3 record was used without knowing our resources. 2nd to last in ACC funding, in the bottom half of power 5 schools in funding, calculus as a requirement in all degree options, until this year our locker room was from the early 2000’s, and while schools like UGA have close to 40 support staff members, until this year GT had only 3. So I know what it’s like to not have good resources, however, USF still gets very good recruits, so the whole resource thing imo goes out the window when you have a top 3 AAC recruiting class on average over the past 4 years. Try averaging in the high 40’s to low 50’s like GT, man I’d love to have classes like y’all compared to the teams we play. So I’ll say it this way if we had the recruits y’all had with yalls scheduled we would be a 10 win team as well, and that’s not a hit on y’all, it’s nothing y’all can fix so to speak. I also wouldn’t mind seeing y’all become a power 5 team along with UCF, Navy and Houston. Btw I come in peace, I really wasn’t trying to upset anyone, I was simply trying to make a point. Sorry if it bothered you or anyone else. 

It didn't bother me, just giving some perspective. I know you guys have difficult recruiting requirements, hence the triple option. You're not going to line-up and beat many teams on your schedule without being different. It's the same reason Navy runs it, making up for a talent gap (or athleticism may be a better word).

The money is still a big factor though, even lower tier is well ahead of where we are. Without Texas funding us, we'd be hard pressed to have any continuity. Maybe Strong stays because he's toward the end of his career, but, he'll be dealing with a revolving door on his staff soon. Taggart, who by all appearances loved Quinton Flowers like a son, still ran out the minute his golden ticket arrived. Hard to keep a quality coach in the AAC. Maybe UCF struck gold twice, only time will tell, but, you see teams like Memphis and Houston set the world on fire only to lose their coach and start over again. It's a constant challenge.

2 minutes ago, Orlando Bull said:

It didn't bother me, just giving some perspective. I know you guys have difficult recruiting requirements, hence the triple option. You're not going to line-up and beat many teams on your schedule without being different. It's the same reason Navy runs it, making up for a talent gap (or athleticism may be a better word).

The money is still a big factor though, even lower tier is well ahead of where we are. Without Texas funding us, we'd be hard pressed to have any continuity. Maybe Strong stays because he's toward the end of his career, but, he'll be dealing with a revolving door on his staff soon. Taggart, who by all appearances loved Quinton Flowers like a son, still ran out the minute his golden ticket arrived. Hard to keep a quality coach in the AAC. Maybe UCF struck gold twice, only time will tell, but, you see teams like Memphis and Houston set the world on fire only to lose their coach and start over again. It's a constant challenge.

Yea I can definitely see that being a big challenge. Hopefully y’all can get better support from the program, not sure if that’s a problem? 

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

This game will tell us a lot and not enough.