• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

College football rivalries... USF/UCF mentioned

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,528
  • Days Won:  28

38 minutes ago, puc86 said:

You are right it is about competing but it’s not about competing on the field when it comes to conference affiliation, it’s about competing for scarce resources. UCF is close to us and competing for the the same resources and maintaining a competitive advantage over them isn’t girly it’s what any business does if it’s looking to stay in business very long. UF isn’t looking to welcome us into the SEC, FSU isn’t petitioning the ACC for us, the bucs, bolts, rays and magic would fight tooth and nail against a Lakeland team and USF would have been better off with Southern Miss than UCF.  It really is quite simple and obvious.

In competition, I like to compete ETHICALLY and by the rules. I would never "not vote" a qualified member to the conference out of fear of competition. A real man would simply accept the best team for the conference as a whole and keep it moving.  UCF simply kicked more ass than us and you are mad b/c the AAC didnt pick a lessor team? I have news for you, had UCF not been in the AAC, then it would have been Houston or Navy with those accolades. USF still would not have had a AAC title, BCS victory or NY6 victory. We had the SAME opportunity as UCF and DIDN'T capitalize b/c we sucked during the Holtz era and sucked during the first 2 years of Taggart's era.  Also, just b/c other schools would try to block a well qualified school from joining their conference does not make it right, ethical or "not girly". 

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

33 minutes ago, puc86 said:

Since we were one of three members left with any thought of staying, probably a lot.

What leverage did we have to make them see it our way if they wanted UCF?  We couldn't realistically leave the conference without taking a big time financial hit and those two schools knew that.   Any kind of tough talk would probably have went like this

USF "No UCF or we're out of here! We're serious well go independent!"

UConn: "LOL good luck with that"

Cinci:  "k Byeeeeeeeeeeee"

I'm not positive but I'm pretty sure the buy out money we got from the exiting members was dependent on us bringing the Big East back back from the dead too.....  We weren't going anywhere we had no hand to play.  Cinci and Uconn were going to look out for themselves which meant trying to make the CONFERENCE as good as it could be post defections, unfortunately UCF was one of the most qualified candidates.   But it's obvious you are choosing not to understand the reality of the situation.....  

Edited by Bull Dozer

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

39 minutes ago, puc86 said:

Since we were one of three members left with any thought of staying, probably a lot.

:lmao:

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,250
  • Days Won:  255

15 minutes ago, Bull Dozer said:

What leverage did we have to make them see it our way if they wanted UCF?  We couldn't realistically leave the conference without taking a big time financial hit and those two schools knew that.   Any kind of tough talk would probably have went like this

USF "No UCF or we're out of here! We're serious well go independent!"

UConn: "LOL good luck with that"

Cinci:  "k Byeeeeeeeeeeee"

I'm not positive but I'm pretty sure the buy out money we got from the exiting members was dependent on us bringing the Big East back back from the dead too.....  We weren't going anywhere we had no hand to play.  Cinci and Uconn were going to look out for themselves which meant trying to make the CONFERENCE as good as it could be post defections, unfortunately UCF was one of the most qualified candidates.   But it's obvious you are choosing not to understand the reality of the situation.....  

It would make sense that ucf was such a perfect fit that no other school would do and it would be the hill the big east chose to die on with its fractured membership, I mean how couldn’t you want ucf at any and all expense with all that they didn’t bring to the conference?

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,250
  • Days Won:  255

25 minutes ago, Gatorbull325 said:

In competition, I like to compete ETHICALLY and by the rules. I would never "not vote" a qualified member to the conference out of fear of competition. A real man would simply accept the best team for the conference as a whole and keep it moving.  UCF simply kicked more ass than us and you are mad b/c the AAC didnt pick a lessor team? I have news for you, had UCF not been in the AAC, then it would have been Houston or Navy with those accolades. USF still would not have had a AAC title, BCS victory or NY6 victory. We had the SAME opportunity as UCF and DIDN'T capitalize b/c we sucked during the Holtz era and sucked during the first 2 years of Taggart's era.  Also, just b/c other schools would try to block a well qualified school from joining their conference does not make it right, ethical or "not girly". 

A) the best teams for the conference as a whole is subjective b) what is the ethical way to act besides doing what’s in your best interest? C) You don’t know what effect competing  less for local resources would have had on us

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

16 minutes ago, puc86 said:

It would make sense that ucf was such a perfect fit that no other school would do and it would be the hill the big east chose to die on with its fractured membership, I mean how couldn’t you want ucf at any and all expense with all that they didn’t bring to the conference?

They were easily the most qualified and beneficial to the conference of all of the realistically available schools, full stop.   They weren't some borderline school that slipped in because USF didn't raise a stink.   To non USF Schools UCF was:

• A Natural Rival to USF that could develop into an annually relevant game for the conference besides the CCG
  • They added an an extra trip to FL for non-USF teams which is huge for recruiting 
  • They had a strong recent resume of on the field performance 
  • They are in a large media market and have what could be expected ratings wise for a g-5 team in said large market 
  • Their athletics department has shown a commitment to athletics  through facilities and can be expected to continue to do so if elevated.  
  • A healthy amount of donations from their fan base to support their programs 

Take your USF loyalty out of the equation and somebody better have a VERY compelling argument to keep that out of the conference, because very few teams brought that to the table.  I'd argue that no other candidate did.....

Edited by Bull Dozer
  • Upvote 3

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,018
  • Days Won:  469

2 hours ago, Gatorbull325 said:

b/c you are scared of them

It has nothing to do with that.  

Can we get that added to the /thread recap?  

Yes I would add the team that brings:

Greatest value to conference minus potential cost to my program. 

It’s pretty simple. If that meant So. Miss over UCF, so be it.  

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,528
  • Days Won:  28

2 minutes ago, Brad said:

It has nothing to do with that.  

Can we get that added to the /thread recap?  

Yes I would add the team that brings:

Greatest value to conference minus potential cost to my program. 

It’s pretty simple. If that meant So. Miss over UCF, so be it.  

And we still would have sucked through the Holtz years, and still would have sucked during Taggart's 1st two years. UCF didnt make us suck those years. Hate it or not, UCF's success really helped out the AAC's image and has given us a rivalry in which the game is pretty much on of the few games played that day and has a chance to grow into a nationally recognized  yearly match up like the Iron Bowl b/w Alabama and Auburn. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

19 minutes ago, Gatorbull325 said:

And we still would have sucked through the Holtz years, and still would have sucked during Taggart's 1st two years. UCF didnt make us suck those years. Hate it or not, UCF's success really helped out the AAC's image and has given us a rivalry in which the game is pretty much on of the few games played that day and has a chance to grow into a nationally recognized  yearly match up like the Iron Bowl b/w Alabama and Auburn.  Bayou Bucket Classic.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,018
  • Days Won:  469

1 hour ago, Gatorbull325 said:

And we still would have sucked through the Holtz years, and still would have sucked during Taggart's 1st two years. UCF didnt make us suck those years. Hate it or not, UCF's success really helped out the AAC's image and has given us a rivalry in which the game is pretty much on of the few games played that day and has a chance to grow into a nationally recognized  yearly match up like the Iron Bowl b/w Alabama and Auburn. 

It could have been accomplished with any other G5.  Their advantage in your argument is UCF is just down the road.