• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

College football rivalries... USF/UCF mentioned

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,467
  • Days Won:  13

USF/UCF. Objectively, maybe the best or at least best unsung categorical rivalry? Two teams located an hour and twenty minutes apart, fighting over many of the same recruits and territory, play at the end of each season for both maximum dramatic framing and (because they share a division) actual stakes. Occasionally, one of them might be angling for a national title, or at least an undefeated season they will claim as a national title. That team might go a little too far with this, and that is their right and privilege as Americans.

Read more: https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/5/18/17353076/rivalry-history-anger-2018

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

Maybe I missed it but No FL/UGA or FL/FSU or FSU/Miami?  

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,609
  • Content Count:  74,476
  • Days Won:  422

3 minutes ago, El_Toro_86 said:

Maybe I missed it but No FL/UGA or FL/FSU or FSU/Miami?  

Here are the ground rules for the list. Can probably justify omission with some of them:

Let’s check in on some rivalries. A few basic ground rules for inclusion here:

1. Rivalries are evaluated mostly on the last four or five years. No one on the roster was there before that. The coach probably wasn’t either. The student section was in high school, and so were the players, and there is a strong chance no one remembers anything that happened in the rivalry prior to four or five years ago. But that epic game in ‘68! Stop hipstering dead rivalries to life just because you read about them. Dormant does not count here. We need live, fiery contests with spite and consequences on the menu.
  2. There are exceptions to this, like the Kick Six, which happened and was hilarious. My God, was it funny. If that happened to my team against a team I hate as much as Auburn, I would never stop being mad about it, especially because it is the kind of play that gets a name, and then joins the other plays with Proper Names, and then even young football players and children know their name, and repeat them even after being reminded of the other team’s recent dominance over their rival. Is this triggering? It should be triggering for you, Alabama, because that is the entire point of this.
  3. The rivalry has to at least be competitive over the past few years. What does competitive mean, exactly? The games should be close. If they are not close, then teams should take at least turns giving and receiving blowouts. If neither of these happen, then it means whatever I want it to mean in order to count something as a rivalry for my own purposes here. If this displeases you, please make your own list, and then email me at celebrityhottub [at] gmail [dot] com to show me what you’ve made!
  4. Rivalries should have some tusslin’ and hollerin’. In non-hilljack terms, some fighting, scrapping, some personal fouls, various football-related misconducts, brawls, resulting legislation following said incidents, bowl bans, international sanctions, and general extracurricular conflict. It all helps. For example: Alabama/Auburn is always at least a baseline rivalry, and sometimes it blooms into something where trees get poisoned, babies get named after key players in a moment, and in the most lasting moment of all, triumphantly mocking bumper stickers are made. That’s obviously a step up in intensity, and any ranking of rivalries should recognize that.
  5. The games should matter in the larger scheme of things. Again, this can mean a lot of things. Does the rivalry often determine larger conference or national outcomes? Does one team consistently ruin their rival’s seasons? Or, most exotically, do both teams ruin each other’s lives every year, no matter who wins or loses, because the results of the game are repellent to one and irrelevant to the other? Are we talking about the Egg Bowl? We are definitely talking about the Egg Bowl.
  6. You left one off! Yes, yes I did. Your favorite one, probably. I did it on purpose, because you bankrupted my family, took the family farm, stole my woman, and left my children to starve in a Topeka flophouse! This is my revenge for all that, and I’ve waited years for it.

• Topic Count:  63
  • Content Count:  2,354
  • Days Won:  8

These write ups are hilarious . . .

"This is the best rivalry in Florida right now, and that is before remembering that the whole thing is named after a sun-blasted stretch of highway dotted with spectacular car wrecks and terrifying anti-abortion billboards. The winning trophy should be a sign reading “PLEASE MOVE WRECKAGE TO THE SIDE,” that is nothing but a sincere compliment."

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

I am all in for this being a rivalry. I know many on this board think we are lowering ourselfs based on our BE days calling ucf rival. But guess what, those days are gone and they have had more success in the past five years than we have. I hate them and “many” of their fans and I suppose they feel the same about us. For me, hate is the main ingredient. 

• Upvote 2

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  96,982
  • Days Won:  469

But they're so delusional and annoying.

• Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  3

UCF is the better program this decade. Easily.

That makes me sad.

46 minutes ago, Brad said:

But they're so delusional and annoying.

It's a rivalry now, and as long as we're at the same level, so you may as well just grin and bear it ....

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  96,982
  • Days Won:  469

?format=1500w

1 hour ago, NewEnglandBull said:

I am all in for this being a rivalry. I know many on this board think we are lowering ourselfs based on our BE days calling ucf rival. But guess what, those days are gone and they have had more success in the past five years than we have. I hate them and “many” of their fans and I suppose they feel the same about us. For me, hate is the main ingredient. 

I'm not sure how many are still in those BE days (at least one BIG one, though) and think it's lowering ourselves now ......... but what does perplex me is how in the hell do you consider it a Rivalry but show any kind of support for the delusional natty nonsense from over there ..... and spare me the P5-G5 ********. True Rivals would never, in any form, but into that tomfoolery, which leads me to believe we have some fans that don't understand how this whole Rivalry thing is supposed to work.

1 minute ago, Brad said:

?format=1500w

That's not how that works ..... that's not how any of this works.