• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Gilbert still doesn't get it

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,322
  • Days Won:  2

17 minutes ago, WWMJD said:

What quote are you reading?! We won by 30 points, and he's still pissed that every play wasn't executed to his standards. You can say plenty of things about the staff thus far, but I haven't seen anything to suggest that they are okay with any part of the team being mediocre.

“It’s an execution thing.” 

From what I’ve seen, our red zone play calling is “let’s run the ball a bunch and hope we get enough yards to score.”  A lot of it seems predictable as it was in the 2013 and 2014 seasons.  I’m nothing more than a spectator,  but Gilbert also says that “part of who we are...is to run the ball downhill.”  I was referring to Gilbert being ok with our offense being mediocre. It’s blatantly obvious we’ve taken a step back on offense against weaker competition. As ridiculous as it is style points count, especially for a team like us. I didn’t say they were ok with the team being mediocre, as our defense has had multiple games now without allowing a single offensive touchdown. 

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

33 minutes ago, OcalaBull2 said:

His quote says it all to me. So if HIS playcalling is not being executed, at what point do you adjust to play calling that the players are able to execute? You can’t do anything if a run gets stuffed at the line that’s intended to go up the middle.  Does he just sit back and keep waiting for “execution?” Even if it never happens how it should? Sounds like he’s ok with it being mediocre. 

I think that's a little dramatic.  We beat Cincy the other day 33-3, and CCS was pissed off after the game.  I'm sure Sterlin got an earful as well - there wasn't much to be pissed at the defense for.  There's no evidence anyone is ok with "mediocrity." 

31 minutes ago, Triple B said:

At a point where it looks like a game may really be in jeopardy because of players not being able to execute the plays he's called ...... hopefully he, or somebody in authority, will be able to recognize that point.

I hope so too, but too often, when you realize you may really be in jeopardy of losing a game, by that time, it's already too late.  Especially a team that hasn't really faced a whole lot of adversity yet.  

• Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  1,698

4 hours ago, GaUSFBull said:

I like this idea.  Continue to do both, but you could do this in an offset I-formation and I'll bet Q could get some pretty good yardage out of it.  

Matt Grothe and BJ got hurt running when they weren't needed....Everybody calm down. I'm sure if the game was on the line Q would have the ball in his hands

This is coming from a guy who was pissed about the lack of TDs scored last game.

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,322

25 minutes ago, GaUSFBull said:

I think that's a little dramatic.  We beat Cincy the other day 33-3, and CCS was pissed off after the game.  I'm sure Sterlin got an earful as well - there wasn't much to be pissed at the defense for.  There's no evidence anyone is ok with "mediocrity." 

I’m talking about Gilbert seeming like he is ok with his offense being mediocre. We’re over halfway through the season and it doesn’t seem like this offense has reached anywhere near its full potential. I was simply pointing out that it seems as if it’s taking too long to reach this potential when we need to be beating these teams with a little more authority to prove a bigger point. Now a days, just winning is not enough.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

5 hours ago, Flowers4Heisman said:

I'm sure Michael Spinks had a lot supporters, too. ---Right before he met Tyson in the ring.

Yeah, but he had a few championships and we have none. 

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  12
  • Days Won:  0

51 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

Nobody said anything about the lack of 1 minute or under TD drives or the 50+ yard TD plays that were common with Mack and Adams. I get we are missing their big play potential.

We are talking about the play calling inside the 20 yard line.

DJ hasn't become a lousy receiver all of a sudden and yet he has 5 catches on the season. That's less than 1 catch per game.

All three of Johnson, Tice and Flowers have a lower per carry average this year than last.

Flowers is averaging 3 YPC less this year than last. Last year Flowers led the team in rushing by almost 400 yards. this year he is 3rd on the team.

Last year he averaged 118 yards per game rushing. This year it's 79. Almost 40 yards less per game.

The sad thing is he averages 2 more carries per game this year. He didn't forget how to run the football.

Maybe just maybe it's the play calls.

Last year our TEs and current RBs (mack not included) had 10 TD catches. This year they have 1.

Agreed, the biggest issue is the red zone play calling.  

Regarding Q's running stats, I had a feeling they would go down, simply because the threat of 5 (and sometimes 87) gave him much more room to operate last year.  Defenses are definitely spying him and trying to eliminate the big play, which is easier to do when there is no true home run threat in our backfield or on jet sweeps.  He's also sliding more this year, which is smart early in the season to stay healthy.  

The RB and TE receiving stats are definitely the most telling.  DJ and MW are a matchup nightmare for opposing LB's and Gilbert has not found enough ways to exploit it enough.  He had a great play call vs. Illinois inside the 20 where Q looked right then through back to DJ who snuck out into the flat on the left, then walked into the end zone.  I haven't seen it called again since.    MW down the seam and on short crossing routes were staples last year and we just haven't seen them very much.  The throws to 2 and 89 are also high percentage and serve as great check downs for Q.  

Outside of the red zone, I will also say that Q is not definitely not throwing as good of a long ball as last year and Gilbert's offense is definitely designed to hit them deep.  Q would admit it as much.  I wonder if the change in his throwing motion may have back fired a bit.  

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,519
  • Days Won:  422

1 hour ago, GaUSFBull said:

I hope so too, but too often, when you realize you may really be in jeopardy of losing a game, by that time, it's already too late.  Especially a team that hasn't really faced a whole lot of adversity yet. 

I guess that's the problem, we haven't stared into the abyss yet ....... maybe we need some discussions about how weak the schedule has been?

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

1 hour ago, Marquel said:

Agreed, the biggest issue is the red zone play calling.  

Regarding Q's running stats, I had a feeling they would go down, simply because the threat of 5 (and sometimes 87) gave him much more room to operate last year.  Defenses are definitely spying him and trying to eliminate the big play, which is easier to do when there is no true home run threat in our backfield or on jet sweeps.  He's also sliding more this year, which is smart early in the season to stay healthy.  

The RB and TE receiving stats are definitely the most telling.  DJ and MW are a matchup nightmare for opposing LB's and Gilbert has not found enough ways to exploit it enough.  He had a great play call vs. Illinois inside the 20 where Q looked right then through back to DJ who snuck out into the flat on the left, then walked into the end zone.  I haven't seen it called again since.    MW down the seam and on short crossing routes were staples last year and we just haven't seen them very much.  The throws to 2 and 89 are also high percentage and serve as great check downs for Q.  

Outside of the red zone, I will also say that Q is not definitely not throwing as good of a long ball as last year and Gilbert's offense is definitely designed to hit them deep.  Q would admit it as much.  I wonder if the change in his throwing motion may have back fired a bit.  

yeah only passing TD to a RB or TE all year. Hard to imagine considering how talented we are as receivers in both positions.He was wide open as I recall.

Jet sweep has worked the few times it has been called.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

2 hours ago, WWMJD said:

I don't disagree with the substance of what you are saying - if the game is on the line, I want the ball in Flowers' hands. But despite the fact that we have looked pretty miserable at times, we haven't had that many instances this year where we've been in serious danger of losing. But I am not seeing the massive, inexplicable red zone struggles that everyone else is. Statistically, we have scored more often in the red zone so far this year (on 87.2% of plays) than we did last year (on 86% of plays). Our touchdown ratio was significantly higher last year, which I assume is what is giving people heart burn. But Mack and Adams accounted for 25 TDs between them. And they are probably the best players at their respective positions that USF has ever seen. I agree that we need to find a way to replace that offense, and although it ultimately falls on the staff to find a way to do it, I don't think it's as simple as "offensive coordinator is dumb."

Last year we scored a TD 70% of the time in the red zone. This year just above 50%. The stat you give is misleading unless of course you are ok with FGs instead of TDs.

mack and Adams were explosive for sure. That matters on long TDs though. not so much when the field gets compressed. RBs in the flat and TEs are very effective on a short field. we had 10 TD passes to our two TEs and DJ and Tice combined last year. we have seen almost none of that this year. One pass play to DJ for a TD after the paper flat out asked him why he doesn't call pass plays to RBs. That's it.

the guy isn't creative and he doesn't use all of his weapons.

I hate to use NFL but NE is an effective offense because they spread the ball around and keep a defense guessing. Same with NO

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

I'm not super excited about the play calling.

But I'm super excited about winning by an average of 3+ scores and being 6-0.