• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

Gilbert still doesn't get it

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  144
  • Days Won:  2

Yanno... I'm not a huge fan of the play calling. I like the flashy offense from last year. I like spreading out the receivers and letting Q run the ball... and then occasionally sneaking a TD pass to the TE who is wide open down the middle of the field.

I will say this though.... this offense is soul crushing to opposing teams. When drives last this long, and you get 3 to 4 yards (or more) every single time the ball is handed off... it is absolutely demoralizing to the guys having to try to stop it. Football has a huge psychological component in-game... the level of faith the team can have to stop the other team's offense is outstanding. It has shades of the CJL defenses of old. This is the most complete USF team I have ever seen. If they finally put together all phases in the same game... holy crap... for the first time since CJL, I feel like this team could actually stand a chance against any team in the nation...(except Bama, GD they look scary). We're beating teams by 4 TDs while not firing on all cylinders! 

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

I am starting to get in line with this offense not being all we need it to be. My #1 issue is that DJ is not a part of the passing game. He was our secret weapon for two seasons. Now two catches. 

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

1 hour ago, WWMJD said:

people forget we lost two legit star offensive players from last year. We just don't have the same weapons, people need to come to terms with that.

We only found out about those weapons because of the wide open offense that Tags decided to let happen in mid-2015.  How do we know we don't have something similar on board right now?  As long as we continue to run the same 6 plays most of the game (not counting designed Flowers runs) I don't think we'll see the full potential of our offense.

• Topic Count:  339
  • Content Count:  3,681
  • Days Won:  2

11 minutes ago, DELdaBull said:

I am starting to get in line with this offense not being all we need it to be. My #1 issue is that DJ is not a part of the passing game. He was our secret weapon for two seasons. Now two catches. 

A pass was thrown his way on our 1st trip to the redzone on a 3rd down, but somone had a busted route.  He and Wilcox were in same area.  But I agree with you. 

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  194
  • Days Won:  1

Coming around to the offense, once we figure out red zone execution then I think we'll be fine. Most G5 defenses don't have depth so churning clock and playing the ground and pound game works effectively, especially when you get good play from the O-line and have effective running backs. Also, it gives the upper hand to our defense because it can stay fresh for longer portions of the game. 

I'm starting to realize that TOP and defensive stamina ends up winning games over flashy play (see last year's game against Temple) more often than not.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

1 hour ago, Bull Dozer said:

Just let Q cook  

Speaking of this, I wonder who had the "Let Him Cook" sign with QF's head having a chef's hat on it.  I'd think it had to be someone from TBP (I know it's from Collin's article).  

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,709
  • Days Won:  23

55 minutes ago, Triple B said:

I'll believe that when I see it ...

It's a combination and the fact that you won't at least acknowledge that to some extent shows your extreme bias in this ....

of course it's a combination. players aren't perfect. they aren't going to execute perfectly. we aren't going to score a TD every time we get into the red zone. they drop passes. they miss reads. they always have. I have said as much in the past. you won't admit it has anything to do with the coaches. you have always said it was an execution problem.

we ran 23 plays in redzone this past week(not including 1 penalty and 4 FGs). 22 of them were run plays. 1 pass that went for 11 yard gain.

Gilbert's quote says nothing about the play calling. he is blaming it on execution. he says we should be able to run power downhill with our physicality. I wonder if we weren't able to execute that style against Alabama if he would take any blame ? Heck i wonder if you would assign him any blame.

Edited by Bull94

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,709
  • Days Won:  23

49 minutes ago, Marquel said:

Bingo.  The game WAS NOT well in hand.  It is true that Willie ran like 9 plays last year, but most of them had multiple options and variations and allowed the coach and players to be creative.  The creativity this year has been minimal although I know its in the playbook, because he has run a handful of misdirection pass plays to the RB's and TE's that have worked, but he never comes back to them.  If we start finishing drives, I will stop complaining, because the offense has racked up some serious yardage (albeit against a very weak schedule)...

On the other hand, it is so good to see us playing defense again and taking pride in shutting teams down...  They are the reason I am still very confident vs. UCF. 

Defense has been awesome. The let down against ECU makes me nervous against UCF though. They have a very aggressive offense and they attack downfield. If we settle for field goals in that game it will put  lot of pressure on our defense to play perfect.

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

BTW, the red zone touchdown we got in the first half last week didn't look like a TD to me. Q's elbow was down before the ball crossed the line on 4th down. I don't think it changed the outcome but it's odd watching an offense move pretty well until inside the 10.

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

38 minutes ago, GaUSFBull said:

Speaking of this, I wonder who had the "Let Him Cook" sign with QF's head having a chef's hat on it.  I'd think it had to be someone from TBP (I know it's from Collin's article).  

I'm not quite sure but it's funny to see Collin pedal a saying I was using here over year ago to sell shirts etc.