• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Gilbert still doesn't get it

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,803
  • Days Won:  0

The constant running up the middle has rarely worked at USF. When you have so much speed and elusiveness to the outside, I don't know why you wouldn't use it?

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

I definitely agree they need to mix it up a bit more in the red zone.  I'm sure he's correct to some extent that there were some issues with execution, but with the weapons we have - I think we can be a little more unpredictable near the goal line.  

• Topic Count:  161
  • Content Count:  560
  • Days Won:  1

5 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

Anybody else bothered by this?

First, I hate coaches that don't take responsibility, even just a little, when things aren't working. He still blames our offenses shortcomings(red zone efficiency) on execution. Not one word about play calling needing to get better. From st pete times:

For those who didn't keep track at home, USF ran 28 plays (including field-goal tries) inside the Cincinnati 20 during its 33-3 rout Saturday. The result: only two touchdowns and more than a little grumbling from the Raymond James Stadium audience.

Just an execution deal,” offensive coordinator Sterlin Gilbert said. "There were just some opportunities we had that we just missed."

Second,this guy thinks we are a power run team and that we should be dominating teams at the line of scrimmage. It took Taggart two + years to figure out that the athletes we attract are ideal for a spread offense not a power run between the tackles offense. I hope his ineptitude doesn't end up costing us a game. again from the times:

On Wednesday, Gilbert was asked if a run-pass option exists for Flowers when the Bulls get tight near the goal line.

“We have several options to go to, but part of us and who we are, what we are, is about physicality and being able to run the ball downhill," Gilbert said. "Punch it (into the end zone) that way.”

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bulls/usf-journal-bulls-address-red-zone-efficiency/2341548

Last year in the red zone we scored a TD 70% of the time. This year it's near 50%.

This guy needs to get more creative and stop blaming things on his players.

We ran the ball 22 of 23 plays inside their 20. I'd be willing to bet a majority of those were between the tackles.

The only thing I can think of is he's saving the plays for QF in the red zone until he needs them. He doesn't want to get those plays on tape. He didn't need them against Cincy. So when he needs them they line up tight in power running formation and QF makes a run/pass play. I would think it would be the opposite of what he said, scoring touchdowns creates confidence, no matter how you do it. We also have a kick ass defense this year, something Willie didn't have, ever.

• Like 2

• Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  3,341
  • Days Won:  5

Bull 94 yo hit the nail on the head. He's using the " just keep hitting it it will eventually fit" model of square peg round hole. Tags found out when he let Q cook. He just doesn't get it. I'd like to see Q change a play and do it himself.

• Topic Count:  505
  • Content Count:  3,407
  • Days Won:  1

2 minutes ago, Atlanta Bull said:

The only thing I can think of is he's saving the plays for QF in the red zone until he needs them. He doesn't want to get those plays on tape. He didn't need them against Cincy. So when he needs them they line up tight in power running formation and QF makes a run/pass play. I would think it would be the opposite of what he said, scoring touchdowns creates confidence, no matter how you do it. We also have a kick ass defense this year, something Willie didn't have, ever.

I agree with this...  I also think that speed will not beat ucf, the power game will be needed in Orlando.

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Well, that's not encouraging.....

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  45

13 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

“We have several options to go to, but part of us and who we are, what we are, is about physicality and being able to run the ball downhill," Gilbert said. "Punch it (into the end zone) that way.”

I'm not so sure that this is "part of us and who we are" with our current team but it is clearly Gilbert's agenda and he isn't willing to let it go yet.  Thankfully it hasn't cost us a game so far but it is certainly painful to watch at times. 

• Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  2,340

Didn't need the points, wear down the defense, save QF and playbook, run the clock.

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,106
  • Days Won:  6

1 minute ago, T-Man said:

I agree with this...  I also think that speed will not beat ucf, the power game will be needed in Orlando.

I agree also.  At times it can be painful to watch, especially knowing the talent we have, but I get the sense he is trying to improve on the direct running game because it makes us more multifaceted in the long run.

My only concern is I hope he realizes when he needs to abandon that approach.  So far this has been like one giant preseason where he can tinker all he wants.  At some point we are going to be in a dogfight and will need to use all our assets.  

At the moment I am giving him the benefit of the doubt give his reputation.  We are also nothing like CWT's early days.  We are still moving the ball and scoring. 

• Like 2