• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Gilbert still doesn't get it

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  1,486
  • Days Won:  0

1 hour ago, horny_gimli said:

Yanno... I'm not a huge fan of the play calling. I like the flashy offense from last year. I like spreading out the receivers and letting Q run the ball... and then occasionally sneaking a TD pass to the TE who is wide open down the middle of the field.

I will say this though.... this offense is soul crushing to opposing teams. When drives last this long, and you get 3 to 4 yards (or more) every single time the ball is handed off... it is absolutely demoralizing to the guys having to try to stop it. Football has a huge psychological component in-game... the level of faith the team can have to stop the other team's offense is outstanding. It has shades of the CJL defenses of old. This is the most complete USF team I have ever seen. If they finally put together all phases in the same game... holy crap... for the first time since CJL, I feel like this team could actually stand a chance against any team in the nation...(except Bama, GD they look scary). We're beating teams by 4 TDs while not firing on all cylinders! 

Only thing that makes me nervous is these aren't good teams that we've beaten so I'm not sure how good our defense actually is. 

• Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

1 hour ago, GaUSFBull said:

We only found out about those weapons because of the wide open offense that Tags decided to let happen in mid-2015.  How do we know we don't have something similar on board right now?  As long as we continue to run the same 6 plays most of the game (not counting designed Flowers runs) I don't think we'll see the full potential of our offense.

I don't doubt the play calling could be improved (remember, it took Taggart way longer than a single season to even get a semi-workable system in place), but the reality is that we don't have the same level of experienced talent on this roster that we had last year. People didn't want to accept it before the season started when I mentioned this same thing, and people don't want to accept it now. It's always easier to complain about a specific coach.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

14 minutes ago, WWMJD said:

I don't doubt the play calling could be improved (remember, it took Taggart way longer than a single season to even get a semi-workable system in place), but the reality is that we don't have the same level of experienced talent on this roster that we had last year. People didn't want to accept it before the season started when I mentioned this same thing, and people don't want to accept it now. It's always easier to complain about a specific coach.

You're right about experience (or lack thereof), but I'm not sure if you're right about THAT being the main reason why our offense is not as explosive as it was before this year.  

I think the answer lies in Gilbert's quote in the OP.  

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

40 minutes ago, WWMJD said:

Nobody said anything about the lack of 1 minute or under TD drives or the 50+ yard TD plays that were common with Mack and Adams. I get we are missing their big play potential.

We are talking about the play calling inside the 20 yard line.

DJ hasn't become a lousy receiver all of a sudden and yet he has 5 catches on the season. That's less than 1 catch per game.

All three of Johnson, Tice and Flowers have a lower per carry average this year than last.

Flowers is averaging 3 YPC less this year than last. Last year Flowers led the team in rushing by almost 400 yards. this year he is 3rd on the team.

Last year he averaged 118 yards per game rushing. This year it's 79. Almost 40 yards less per game.

The sad thing is he averages 2 more carries per game this year. He didn't forget how to run the football.

Maybe just maybe it's the play calls.

Last year our TEs and current RBs (mack not included) had 10 TD catches. This year they have 1.

Edited by Bull94
  • Like 1

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

42 minutes ago, WWMJD said:

Yes, we are operating without Mack and Adam's production but the big thing with this offense is the drop in red zone production (20% decrease).   Our red zone offense is basically trying to power through defenses with inside running plays.   Where as last year in the red zone we'd use WR screens, designed runs with Q inside and outside, moving the pocket on passing plays etc.  As much as I love Mack and Adams the red zone isn't where they truly added the most production, that was the splash plays they produced to score or get us down the field in a hurry.  The Redzone has always been Q's place to shine, which is why he put up 18 rushing TD's last season.  When it's money time you want the ball in your best player's hands and our best player the past 3 seasons (and maybe ever) is Q.  

If you're trying to protect Flowers, then fine, greatly scale back his use between the 20's (which we have).  But when we're in the red zone let that boy cook.  He creates unique challenges to defenses and you're an idiot of you don't exploit the hell out of that.  

Edited by Bull Dozer

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

1 minute ago, Bull Dozer said:

Yes, we are operating without Mack and Adam's production but the big thing with this offense is the drop in red zone production (20% decrease).   Our red zone offense is basically trying to power through defenses with inside running plays.   Where as last year in the red zone we'd use WR screens, designed runs with Q inside and outside, moving the pocket on passing plays etc.  As much as I love Mack and Adams the red zone isn't where they truly added the most production, that was the splash plays they produced to score or get us down the field in a hurry.  The Redzone has always been Q's place to shine, which is why he put up 18 rushing TD's last season.  When it's money time you want the ball in your best players hands and our best player the past 3 seasons (and maybe ever) is Q.  

If you're trying to protect Flowers, then fine, greatly scale back his use between the 20's (which we have).  But when we're in the red zone let that boy cook.  He creates unique challenges to defenses and you're an idiot of you don't exploit the hell out of that.  

Good points. Flowers is actually running more this year than last. So if they are trying to protect him I'm not sure they are doing a good job.

About 2 rushes a game more. 3 ypc less though. and 12 fewer TDs

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,322
  • Days Won:  2

His quote says it all to me. 

So if HIS playcalling is not being executed, at what point do you adjust to play calling that the players are able to execute? You can’t do anything if a run gets stuffed at the line that’s intended to go up the middle.  Does he just sit back and keep waiting for “execution?” Even if it never happens how it should? Sounds like he’s ok with it being mediocre. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,519
  • Days Won:  422

2 minutes ago, OcalaBull2 said:

So if HIS playcalling is not being executed, at what point do you adjust to play calling that the players are able to execute?

At a point where it looks like a game may really be in jeopardy because of players not being able to execute the plays he's called ...... hopefully he, or somebody in authority, will be able to recognize that point.

3 minutes ago, Bull Dozer said:

Yes, we are operating without Mack and Adam's production but the big thing with this offense is the drop in red zone production (20% decrease).   Our red zone offense is basically trying to power through defenses with inside running plays.   Where as last year in the red zone we'd use WR screens, designed runs with Q inside and outside, moving the pocket on passing plays etc.  As much as I love Mack and Adams the red zone isn't where they truly added the most production, that was the splash plays they produced to score or get us down the field in a hurry.  The Redzone has always been Q's place to shine, which is why he put up 18 rushing TD's last season.  When it's money time you want the ball in your best player's hands and our best player the past 3 seasons (and maybe ever) is Q.  

I don't disagree with the substance of what you are saying - if the game is on the line, I want the ball in Flowers' hands. But despite the fact that we have looked pretty miserable at times, we haven't had that many instances this year where we've been in serious danger of losing. But I am not seeing the massive, inexplicable red zone struggles that everyone else is. Statistically, we have scored more often in the red zone so far this year (on 87.2% of plays) than we did last year (on 86% of plays). Our touchdown ratio was significantly higher last year, which I assume is what is giving people heart burn. But Mack and Adams accounted for 25 TDs between them. And they are probably the best players at their respective positions that USF has ever seen. I agree that we need to find a way to replace that offense, and although it ultimately falls on the staff to find a way to do it, I don't think it's as simple as "offensive coordinator is dumb."

5 minutes ago, OcalaBull2 said:

His quote says it all to me. 

So if HIS playcalling is not being executed, at what point do you adjust to play calling that the players are able to execute? You can’t do anything if a run gets stuffed at the line that’s intended to go up the middle.  Does he just sit back and keep waiting for “execution?” Even if it never happens how it should? Sounds like he’s ok with it being mediocre. 

What quote are you reading?! We won by 30 points, and he's still pissed that every play wasn't executed to his standards. You can say plenty of things about the staff thus far, but I haven't seen anything to suggest that they are okay with any part of the team being mediocre.

• Downvote 1