• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Gilbert still doesn't get it

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

Just wait one more year gents.... this dude will be up CCS ass at another school...

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

13 minutes ago, T-Man said:

I agree with this...  I also think that speed will not beat ucf, the power game will be needed in Orlando.

misdirection and keeping the defense guessing will be needed to beat UCF. our offense is easy to stop in the redzone. just stack the box and clog the middle.

we had a heisman hopeful QB entering the season. Now our kicker is #7 in the country for scoring

13 minutes ago, USFBULL_08 said:

Didn't need the points, wear down the defense, save QF and playbook, run the clock.

as an offense you should always want to score TDs in the redzone. our first three trips inside the redzone resulted in FGs.

you are not running clock and you still need points at that point in the game.

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  12
  • Days Won:  0

I thought the same thing when I read that story.  Also, every time we hurry to the line and try a quick snap, we hand off up the middle. Everyone knows it and it rarely works.  Half the time we try it, we get a false start anyway.  I would like to think Gilbert is setting up some play action for bigger games, but I would prefer to work on it in all games, so that we run it to perfection when we really need it.  Q should have a run/pass option in at least half of our red zone plays, and that's just not happening.  Who cares if it's on tape?  The defense still has to defend it, and if they think it could be coming, it may end up opening up the middle.  

We obviously do not have the speed from last year (5 and 87), so I understand that he wants to run power with 2 and 6, but he is still underutilizing Q and I don't want it to hurt against teams like Houston and UCF.  We only have him 6 or 7 more games, so its time to open up the playbook and let him do his thing.

3 minutes ago, Marquel said:

I thought the same thing when I read that story.  Also, every time we hurry to the line and try a quick snap, we hand off up the middle. Everyone knows it and it rarely works.  Half the time we try it, we get a false start anyway.  I would like to think Gilbert is setting up some play action for bigger games, but I would prefer to work on it in all games, so that we run it to perfection when we really need it.  Q should have a run/pass option in at least half of our red zone plays, and that's just not happening.  Who cares if it's on tape?  The defense still has to defend it, and if they think it could be coming, it may end up opening up the middle.  

We obviously do not have the speed from last year (5 and 87), so I understand that he wants to run power with 2 and 6, but he is still underutilizing Q and I don't want it to hurt against teams like Houston and UCF.  We only have him 6 or 7 more games, so its time to open up the playbook and let him do his thing.

That's the thing, if he opened up the offense and ran misdirection it would open up the middle. You should want that on tape as it would keep a defense guessing.

It still amazes me that our RBs have 6 catches combined all year. DJ was deadly coming out of the backfield last year.

• Topic Count:  179
  • Content Count:  3,647
  • Days Won:  4

I saw that too. There are a few things that just don't make sense. I am not complaining but I am puzzled. Maybe he is just staying vanilla unless he really thinks the game is going to be on the line. He allowed QF to change his game in the 2nd quarter of the SJSU game. UC pretty much was focused on stopping that inside run which I think is now the template. My questions are:

• No more screens. Why? 
  • Complete misuse of DJ. If you want to run up the middle, use Tice. I suppose you could use DJ as a decoy in that role once in a while but usually DJ up the middle = 2 yard gain. Is DJ in his senior year our power back? 
  • Why do most of the passes seem to go to the outside? 
  • Are RB's not allowed to catch passes in this offense? It never appears to be the 1st read. 
  • TE's? I know there have been some drops there but they seem invisible in this offense. 

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  1,489
  • Days Won:  0

41 minutes ago, cdub3511 said:

I'm not so sure that this is "part of us and who we are" with our current team but it is clearly Gilbert's agenda and he isn't willing to let it go yet.  Thankfully it hasn't cost us a game so far but it is certainly painful to watch at times. 

I'm clueless on this too.  We were a gulf coast offense.  Never a power run team.  Spread them out and make it work to our advantage with speed.  We lost some of that speed, but he could have plugged in other personnel.  We didn't suddenly get a new offensive line that is great at run blocking.  He should have waited to implement his offense next year when Q is gone.  Why break what is all ready working?  A power run mentality doesn't give Q the room he needs to improvise. 

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

We have to be the bitchiest fans of a 6-0 team ever.  Yes, the red zone offense was lacking, but you do realize that the a lot of our runs are read options (some probably have a pass option), QF decided to hand it off instead of keeping it on most of those.  The game was well in hand, no need to do something that could turn the momentum, i.e. a pick six at the end of the first half.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,250
  • Days Won:  255

47 minutes ago, USFBULL_08 said:

Man, if we just had a person or two to ask some of these questions and report on them...

But then it may detract from the hard hitting expose' on the delta between announced and turnstile attendance.

• Haha 1