• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Gilbert still doesn't get it

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

1 minute ago, Bull Dozer said:

Also, I would rather us run those plays with Q straight up instead of the RB.  It gives us an extra blocker and more than likely put's Q in a one on one situation and I take that allllll day long.

I like this idea.  Continue to do both, but you could do this in an offset I-formation and I'll bet Q could get some pretty good yardage out of it.  

• Topic Count:  106
  • Content Count:  1,318
  • Days Won:  2

This offense isn't as flashy, efficient, or successful as the offense from last season.

But maybe it was the step back we needed as a team? We are like 30th in the nation in TOP, and I think that is a HUGE factor in our defense going from one of the worst in the nation to 12th best. The front 7 isn't gassed every drive. They are going out and competing because they have the energy to do so.

I wish the redzone was more efficient but otherwise very little to complain about the offense.

• Like 2

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

If the staff is holding plays back so they don't get on tape that seems short sighted. We're not all of a sudden going to execute plays perfectly that we haven't run all year.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  3,222
  • Days Won:  8

If there were any reads it was done pre snap.  If you listen to quinton
s post game interview it was very telling.  DJ missed his hole on one of those goal line plays.  Thats the difference between field goals and touchdowns.

• Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

Reading this thread, you'd think we were 0-6. Admittedly there's room for improvement on the offensive side of the ball, but people forget we lost two legit star offensive players from last year. We just don't have the same weapons, people need to come to terms with that.

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

15 minutes ago, WWMJD said:

Reading this thread, you'd think we were 0-6. Admittedly there's room for improvement on the offensive side of the ball, but people forget we lost two legit star offensive players from last year. We just don't have the same weapons, people need to come to terms with that.

The thing is people aren't taking issue with things that aren't due to lack of talent replacing Mack and Adams, or even a lack of explosive plays.  The issues people have is Gilbert not putting his players/offense in a position to succeed in the red zone.  

Also, for those people talking about TOP, it's irrelevant to this discussion.  Your work for controlling TOP ends in the red zone.  Once you're in that portion of the field your work should be all about scoring TD's and if that means speeding it up or slowing it down you do whatever gets you in the best position to do that.  

Edited by Bull Dozer
  • Like 1

Edited by Bull Dozer

27 minutes ago, GaUSFBull said:

I like this idea.  Continue to do both, but you could do this in an offset I-formation and I'll bet Q could get some pretty good yardage out of it.  

We used to kill teams in the red zone with this last season.  Line up in the gun and let Q follow Tice/DJ and find his way into the end zone. 

There's no need to get cute with personnel and trot out the full house backfield etc like we tried last week.  Just let Q cook  

Edited by Bull Dozer

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

17 minutes ago, SANJAY said:

If the staff is holding plays back so they don't get on tape that seems short sighted. We're not all of a sudden going to execute plays perfectly that we haven't run all year.

See, that's the thing. Not to overwork the comparison, but Willie let Q go (eventually), and that's when we became scary. A mix of looks and options would be more of a threat than what we're not running. Teams tried to prepare for us last year, UCF having the most benefit, but for the most part our offense couldn't be stopped. I don't think he's holding anything back, and that's what worries me for finishing the season with a CC...and I want one...soooo bad.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  45
  • Days Won:  0

1 hour ago, Apis Bull said:

We have to be the bitchiest fans of a 6-0 team ever.  Yes, the red zone offense was lacking, but you do realize that the a lot of our runs are read options (some probably have a pass option), QF decided to hand it off instead of keeping it on most of those.  The game was well in hand, no need to do something that could turn the momentum, i.e. a pick six at the end of the first half.

This might be true but I'd prefer to think of myself as anxious, rather than bitchy.  We all know we shouldn't look past the next game on the schedule but the reality is we're going to face at least one team this season where we're going to have to play our best football to win and the red zone decisions against Cincy were clearly not our best football.  Whether those decisions were on Gilbert, Flowers, or a combo of both (most likely), reading his comments makes me anxious about how stubborn he will be with adjusting the game plan if/when needed.