• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Gilbert still doesn't get it

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  179
  • Content Count:  3,647
  • Days Won:  4

At the end of the day, the games haven't been close and QF is still healthy. Those are good things. 

When it is 3-3 after the 1st quarter in the UC game, you go....hmmm. I wonder if he is going to open things up a little. Then the 2nd Qtr happens and you are like nope. Don't need to. 

Let the RB's and Kean take the abuse. Get ready for next week. 

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

32 minutes ago, Bull Dozer said:

The thing is people aren't taking issue with things that aren't due to lack of talent replacing Mack and Adams, or even a lack of explosive plays.  The issues people have is Gilbert not putting his players/offense in a position to succeed in the red zone.  

Also, for those people talking about TOP, it's irrelevant to this discussion.  Your work for controlling TOP ends in the red zone.  Once you're in that portion of the field your work should be all about scoring TD's and if that means speeding it up or slowing it down you do whatever gets you in the best position to do that.  

good points

1 hour ago, Apis Bull said:

We have to be the bitchiest fans of a 6-0 team ever.  Yes, the red zone offense was lacking, but you do realize that the a lot of our runs are read options (some probably have a pass option), QF decided to hand it off instead of keeping it on most of those.  The game was well in hand, no need to do something that could turn the momentum, i.e. a pick six at the end of the first half.

it was 9-3 with 3 minutes to go in the half. 3 redzone possessions. 3 FGs. play calling then had nothing to do with the game being well in hand. if this happened in the 4th quarter when we were up big then I wouldn't have a problem with it.

if we keep settling for field goals it will catch up to us when we play a decent team. the guy has no creativity whatsover and honestly from his quotes he is ok with that. he thinks we can bulldoze our way into the endzone as if we are that much bigger and stronger than our opponents.

There is a reason why our kicker is the 7th leading scorer in the country and it's not execution. it's conservative play calling.

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  217
  • Content Count:  2,495
  • Days Won:  1

19 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

if we keep settling for field goals it will catch up to us when we play a decent team.

UCF will be scoring touchdowns while we are kicking field goals.  If we end up in a shootout in Oviedo I don't like our chances.  

1 minute ago, Bulls Are We said:

UCF will be scoring touchdowns while we are kicking field goals.  If we end up in a shootout in Oviedo I don't like our chances.  

that's what worries me. UCF has 6th most efficient offense according to espn. we are 70th

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

4 minutes ago, Bulls Are We said:

QF won't let that happen. I see him going off script or improvising if the play calling is still questionable in Oviedo. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,510
  • Days Won:  422

30 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

it was 9-3 with 3 minutes to go in the half. 3 redzone possessions. 3 FGs. play calling then had nothing to do with the game being well in hand. if this happened in the 4th quarter when we were up big then I wouldn't have a problem with it.

I'll believe that when I see it ...

31 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

There is a reason why our kicker is the 7th leading scorer in the country and it's not execution. it's conservative play calling.

It's a combination and the fact that you won't at least acknowledge that to some extent shows your extreme bias in this ....

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  12
  • Days Won:  0

26 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

if we keep settling for field goals it will catch up to us when we play a decent team. the guy has no creativity whatsover and honestly from his quotes he is ok with that. he thinks we can bulldoze our way into the endzone as if we are that much bigger and stronger than our opponents.

Bingo.  The game WAS NOT well in hand.  It is true that Willie ran like 9 plays last year, but most of them had multiple options and variations and allowed the coach and players to be creative.  The creativity this year has been minimal although I know its in the playbook, because he has run a handful of misdirection pass plays to the RB's and TE's that have worked, but he never comes back to them.  If we start finishing drives, I will stop complaining, because the offense has racked up some serious yardage (albeit against a very weak schedule)...

On the other hand, it is so good to see us playing defense again and taking pride in shutting teams down...  They are the reason I am still very confident vs. UCF. 

• Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  2,343

Problem is, the only defense with a pulse is the last game of the season. Not sure how they are going to adjust after not having to do it all season.

Would much rather have things worked out before crunch time.

• Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  580

I have not been impressed with Gilbert so far...