• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Gilbert still doesn't get it

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  307
  • Days Won:  1

1 hour ago, Bull94 said:

Last year we scored a TD 70% of the time in the red zone. This year just above 50%. The stat you give is misleading unless of course you are ok with FGs instead of TDs.

mack and Adams were explosive for sure. That matters on long TDs though. not so much when the field gets compressed. RBs in the flat and TEs are very effective on a short field. we had 10 TD passes to our two TEs and DJ and Tice combined last year. we have seen almost none of that this year. One pass play to DJ for a TD after the paper flat out asked him why he doesn't call pass plays to RBs. That's it.

the guy isn't creative and he doesn't use all of his weapons.

I hate to use NFL but NE is an effective offense because they spread the ball around and keep a defense guessing. Same with NO

That stat he gave is a fact, its called Red Zone efficiency and there is something to be said for scoring at least a fg when you get in the red zone. Points are points. And he even admitted that comparing TD % was a lower rate. 

Gilbert is creative when he needs to be, he just hasn't had to be. Against Illinois we saw some of the red zone play calling that we all want, like a pass to DJ. The fact of the matter is that our current schedule is all just tune up games. We can practice things like running up the middle with a stacked box to impose our will. And guess what the better we are at running it up the middle the more effective all those other creative play calls will be. 

If we ever have a game close to being on the line this season you will see a lot of Q walking into the endzone or PA pass to TE, because the other team is so keyed on us running up the middle. Until then keep running the **** ball. 

As far as mediocrity, it hard to get your players to play their hardest when they know the other team sucks and we are winning by 30 without executing, but that's why the coaches get paid. It seems like the coaches are right on the players about making sure we don't relax too much. 

Pretty confident our team will raise their level of play if we need to, until then just keep winning by 30. Its a marathon not a sprint. If we won our first 10 games by 75 pts it wouldn't mean anything if we lose the 11th or 12th. Stay healthy practice your staple plays, setup other plays off of those, and finish strong with your A game when you need it. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

1 hour ago, Bull94 said:

Last year we scored a TD 70% of the time in the red zone. This year just above 50%. The stat you give is misleading unless of course you are ok with FGs instead of TDs.

mack and Adams were explosive for sure. That matters on long TDs though. not so much when the field gets compressed. RBs in the flat and TEs are very effective on a short field. we had 10 TD passes to our two TEs and DJ and Tice combined last year. we have seen almost none of that this year. One pass play to DJ for a TD after the paper flat out asked him why he doesn't call pass plays to RBs. That's it.

the guy isn't creative and he doesn't use all of his weapons.

I hate to use NFL but NE is an effective offense because they spread the ball around and keep a defense guessing. Same with NO

I do agree that DJ and Tice could be used more effectively in the passing game. I think the TEs’ unreliability is a totally reasonable explanation for their lack of use though.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

47 minutes ago, BucsandBulls said:

That stat he gave is a fact, its called Red Zone efficiency and there is something to be said for scoring at least a fg when you get in the red zone. Points are points. And he even admitted that comparing TD % was a lower rate. 

Gilbert is creative when he needs to be, he just hasn't had to be. Against Illinois we saw some of the red zone play calling that we all want, like a pass to DJ. The fact of the matter is that our current schedule is all just tune up games. We can practice things like running up the middle with a stacked box to impose our will. And guess what the better we are at running it up the middle the more effective all those other creative play calls will be. 

If we ever have a game close to being on the line this season you will see a lot of Q walking into the endzone or PA pass to TE, because the other team is so keyed on us running up the middle. Until then keep running the **** ball. 

As far as mediocrity, it hard to get your players to play their hardest when they know the other team sucks and we are winning by 30 without executing, but that's why the coaches get paid. It seems like the coaches are right on the players about making sure we don't relax too much. 

Pretty confident our team will raise their level of play if we need to, until then just keep winning by 30. Its a marathon not a sprint. If we won our first 10 games by 75 pts it wouldn't mean anything if we lose the 11th or 12th. Stay healthy practice your staple plays, setup other plays off of those, and finish strong with your A game when you need it. 

a tune up game is one in which you fine tune the offense by running all your plays.

I don't buy this theory that he is just holding back.

we trucked illinois because the middle of their defense was trash. we averaged like 7 ypc against them. they couldn't stop the runs up the middle.

how creative was the offense when we averaged 1.9 ypc against Stoney brook and were tied going into the 4th quarter?

your goal should not be to kick field goals when getting into the red zone. points are not points in a close game and having to kick field goals will cost us. google "settling for field goals" and tell me how many links are to a positive article about an offense running well.

nothing says that you can';t win games 11 and 12 if you score 75 points a game.

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

3 hours ago, Triple B said:

I guess that's the problem, we haven't stared into the abyss yet ....... maybe we need some discussions about how weak the schedule has been?

I am sure if we put our heads together, we can think of some teams that increase our SOS if we were to play them.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,519
  • Days Won:  422

26 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

how creative was the offense when we averaged 1.9 ypc against Stoney brook and were tied going into the 4th quarter?

Box score I saw has us with 3.1 ypc against Stony Brook ... and we're at 5.0 ypc for the season. Carry on, though ........ we're on an 11 game winning streak so I realize that does put a crimp is some's style.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

The creativity is not there. When we rush to the line we are guaranteed to run between the guards. Everyone and their grandma knows this by now. Can we rush to the line and throw in a play action pass one time. Get a bubble screen once or twice. The bubble screen fake and throw over the top? This is a pee wee offense so far. 

8 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Box score I saw has us with 3.1 ypc against Stony Brook ... and we're at 5.0 ypc for the season. Carry on, though ........ we're on an 11 game winning streak so I realize that does put a crimp is some's style.

Was that 3.1 ypc through 3 quarters, like he said?  Or was it for the whole game?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,519
  • Days Won:  422

4 minutes ago, GaUSFBull said:

Was that 3.1 ypc through 3 quarters, like he said?  Or was it for the whole game?

If that's what he said, it wasn't clear ..... and if you're having to break stats down to quarters, especially of the worst game we've played all year, you are really reaching.

• Downvote 1

20 minutes ago, Triple B said:

If that's what he said, it wasn't clear ..... and if you're having to break stats down to quarters, especially of the worst game we've played all year, you are really reaching.

I agree it's a bit of a reach.  However, like you said, it was the worst game we've played all year, and the closest we've come to losing, yet still he stuck with the plan.  It paid off eventually - thank. god it did ... It should never have been that close in the first place.  Not much reason for faith that we will be able to get out of a hole against a good team if he's not willing to mix it up a bit. 

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

I wouldn't look for it to change much this week.  Statistically Tulane is close to the same as Illinois while we are the #3 rushing team in the country.

Everything about this offense leads me to believe that this offense is designed to grind down a defense over the course of the game.  They get stronger as they go.  The other part of the offense is about protecting Flowers.  

While we have been off to slow starts in scoring, there has not really been a game where we have really been challenged after the second quarter.  Even if Stonybrook or even even Cincinnati, if you will, where we have not dominated or disctated play on either side of the ball.  Although in a couple of games we did not punch the ball in for a TD, we still dominated play and did not really allow their offense to move the ball.  So unless needed, why put Flowers at risk when we are dominating every game.  Our offense is still explosive enough to pretty much score from anywhere on the filed when needed.  

I would rather win by three scores and keep Flowers healthy than win by 28 and have him get beat up.

Defense adds to the style points.  I will take a number 3 rushing offense combined with a # 8 defense any year.  

When the team is stressed midway through the 4th quarter then I will worry about the play calling.  Until then, keep the plays coming and get the receivers to catch, stop making dumb drive killing penalties and Q needs to read what the defense gives him.

I have a bigger fear of Flowers getting hurt needlessly than I do if we win by 4 scores or 3.

• Like 1