• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF to present findings of on-campus stadium study

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

8 hours ago, ArmyBull said:

Right, because basketball and football are the same... sigh.  

28 minutes ago, Joe said:

I was going to leave this alone, it seems to obvious to argue

That's not the point.  I'm certain that if USF basketball was winning, the students would show up.  The point was that if the football team sucks, students aren't going to come whether they play in an OCS or not.

• Topic Count:  40
  • Content Count:  557
  • Days Won:  0

9 hours ago, Apis Bull said:

If a P5 conference says that we need one, I guarantee you that we'd get one

Pitt, Miami.  Additionally, UCLA doesn't have one

As I mentioned in my previous posts in this thread I do not think anyone is going to tell us an OCS is a prerequisite. However we can not kid ourselves and think we are Pitt, Miami or UCLA. Each of those schools has history, tradition, national fan bases, championships, heisman winners. We have none of those. We can't change that. We do, however, have the chance to build an OCS and I think we should do everything in our power to make that happen. If you don't think our athletic facilities, including where we play football, will come up when conference realignment happens again you're kidding yourself.

• Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  1,828
  • Days Won:  12

43 minutes ago, Apis Bull said:

That's not the point.  I'm certain that if USF basketball was winning, the students would show up.  The point was that if the football team sucks, students aren't going to come whether they play in an OCS or not.

I agree, without a doubt, winning increases attendance.  That being said, I believe that an OCS increases student attendance in a similar fashion.  It is easy to go and cheer for a winning team and it is a heck of a lot easier for students to walk across campus instead of trekking down Dale Mabry.  Point being, that even in times of sucking, I believe that more students and alumni will attend with an OCS than One Buc Place.  Not to mention all of the other long term benefits that come with it.

But hey, let's keep focusing on the West Virginia game back in 2007.  

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Triple B said:

If that was a certainty, or even close to a certainty, the ball would have started rolling years ago. If you have any proof that USF football attendance and alumni support is being significantly affected in a negative way by playing at RayJay over a piece of **** stadium on campus, your assistance with the feasibility study would be most helpful.

Is it impossible for you to believe that perhaps we made a mistake and should have built years ago?  Your benevolent view of our administration's decision making and your emotional response regarding Central Florida U is the reason that I blame the Orlando school for screwing us by putting up an OCS first.  If you removed every comment, from every poster, in our OCS threads regarding the complaining about C. Florida's stadium, the view on our options would improve.

I believe you have previously concurred that an OCS would increase student support as they would be "on board from the beginning."  Think if this was done 10 years ago.  Those students would now be alumni with jobs and potential donors that would have a connection with the campus and football.   

3 minutes ago, TheUpperHand said:

True. People need to get over that. Things will never be like that again ... no way WVU ever gets ranked #5 again.

Hehehe, well played.  

• Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  2,345
  • Days Won:  0

Has someone ever polled current\former players on their opinion of On Campus vs. Ray Jay?

• Upvote 4

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

51 minutes ago, ArmyBull said:

Is it impossible for you to believe that perhaps we made a mistake and should have built years ago?  Your benevolent view of our administration's decision making and your emotional response regarding Central Florida U is the reason that I blame the Orlando school for screwing us by putting up an OCS first.  If you removed every comment, from every poster, in our OCS threads regarding the complaining about C. Florida's stadium, the view on our options would improve.

I believe you have previously concurred that an OCS would increase student support as they would be "on board from the beginning."  Think if this was done 10 years ago.  Those students would now be alumni with jobs and potential donors that would have a connection with the campus and football.   

LOL  what exactly has UCF gotten out of having an OCS that we haven't?  They're in the same boat we are.  Edit:  and please don't talk about increased fan support.  They got that because they had a good enough team to win the first two AAC conference championships.  We all saw how empty their stadium was two years ago when they sucked.  

And I find it hilarious that you want people to stop bringing up the WVU game in 2007, yet you've complained twice about USF not putting a stadium up a decade ago.  

Edited by GaUSFBull
  • Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

17 minutes ago, GaUSFBull said:

LOL  what exactly has UCF gotten out of having an OCS that we haven't?  They're in the same boat we are.  Edit:  and please don't talk about increased fan support.  They got that because they had a good enough team to win the first two AAC conference championships.  We all saw how empty their stadium was two years ago when they sucked.  

The guys out East also have the distinction of being the only FCS team to go winless in three separate seasons. Their fanbase has been exposed to seriously "craptastic" football and their donor base is still larger than ours.

I'm glad that athletics is actually discussing this publicly, since it'll take years and lots of money to execute. It gives our donor base the opportunity to step up. If we just compare with our conference brethren, UConn, ECU, and UCF are ahead of us. We need to do better, donor-wise,  prior to actually building this thing. 

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

All benefits are mere hypotheses. Of course everything about the issue is, my qualms about the stadium are also hypotheses other than the fact it will cost a lot of money.

Here is what we know. We have one of the top attendance figures amongst the G5 schools, including the G5 schools with an OCS. So at RayJay we are outdrawing most G5 schools with an OCS.

I hypothesize it isn't the OCS, it's the competition that draws. This is more a P5/G5 issue than an OCS issue. The P5 have regular "marquee" opponents.The P5 are filled with alumni steeped in that culture. That culture is a dying culture. Even P5 attendance is dropping. To build an OCS hoping the current demographics that aren't that into stadium events turn into alumni who return to a metropolitan university like the rich P5 alumni return to the land grant universities where the game is the only entertainment in town is a quarter billion dollar risk.

The academic literature on stadiums is decidedly mixed to negative about the economic benefits. Anecdotal evidence, which yes isn't rigorous, from UCF posters state the stadium hasn't brought economic foot traffic to the area.

Sure it could work. Maybe because it is closer more students would show up, but as was previously mentioned they don't to the Sundome. This could end up being like a stubborn Gary Bettman trying to make the Phoenix/Arizona Coyotes work.

I'd rather have a state of the art datacenter on campus. I know that would yield benefits.

However we are all here to hypothesize about why we should or should not have one. So we'll keep carrying on. It's what we do for fun!