• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Our NEW Basketball HC is....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

35 minutes ago, Paisa el Toro said:

Despite paying Antigua and Heath to not coach here next season, I think we probably could have got some "whales" to chip in for a "big name." The problem with USF MBB, at the moment, is that it's a total disaster. Hopefully, Gregory is able to pull this thing around. 

I don't think anyone was willing to chip in. For some, it would be perceived as a waste of money.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,685
  • Days Won:  108

1 hour ago, Paisa el Toro said:

Despite paying Antigua and Heath to not coach here next season, I think we probably could have got some "whales" to chip in for a "big name." The problem with USF MBB, at the moment, is that it's a total disaster. Hopefully, Gregory is able to pull this thing around. 

How many of those do you think there are donating to USF that are into athletics?  Maybe 3 and they've done a ton in the past. And they have to be into basketball.  

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

This guy is from the Izzo tree? If so, I'm down. 

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

1 hour ago, DELdaBull said:

Trees are overrated.  

And for all the Sierra Clubbers, I mean in athletic coaching terms.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  601
  • Content Count:  16,352
  • Days Won:  43

18 minutes ago, GaUSFBull said:

Trees are overrated.  

And for all the Sierra Clubbers, I mean in athletic coaching terms.

Actually the Calipari Tree is poison ivy. Stay away from it from now on. The Izzo tree has been good to USF when Heath took us to NIT and on brink of NCAA Sweet Sixteen!! Let's take another chance on the Izzo tree

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

3 hours ago, DELdaBull said:

Well if Gregory follows the history of Izzo's former assistant coaches he'll be getting fired after failing to produce a successful program. Gregory has already contributed to the firing history of the Izzo coaching tree once but maybe he can be the only one to break the trend. Being a fan I hope he can do just that.

Edited by Vega

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,585
  • Days Won:  423

11 hours ago, Paisa el Toro said:

Despite paying Antigua and Heath to not coach here next season, I think we probably could have got some "whales" to chip in for a "big name."

The kind of "big name" we needed would have required a Phil Knight type whale. Gregory is as good as anybody who was realistically available to us ...

• Topic Count:  601
  • Content Count:  16,352
  • Days Won:  43

4 hours ago, Triple B said:

The kind of "big name" we needed would have required a Phil Knight type whale. Gregory is as good as anybody who was realistically available to us ...

And don't forget!! USF was interested in Gregory years ago but I believe got turned down while he was the coach at Dayton. I believe that was before USF had the upgraded facilities. So if you look on the bright side, USF is sitting in a better position now than we were back then. 

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

18 hours ago, flsportsfan83 said:

The kids that would be replacing the one and dones are on a different level. You can still get some solid talent that is looking for playing time.

I'm not saying you can't get solid talent, just that in basketball, early playing time is touted by nearly every school.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,685
  • Days Won:  108

9 hours ago, Vega said:

Well if Gregory follows the history of Izzo's former assistant coaches he'll be getting fired after failing to produce a successful program. Gregory has already contributed to the firing history of the Izzo coaching tree once but maybe he can be the only one to break the trend. Being a fan I hope he can do just that.

Except for a select few, almost every coach gets fired. If you only hired guys that hadn't been fired you'd be getting assistants like, ummm. fCOA.