• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

CWT Watch 2017

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  193
  • Content Count:  5,258
  • Days Won:  1

I can only see Willie leaving if a big name school (LSU, FSU, Notre Dame, Auburn, etc) offers him the head coaching job but he is not leaving for some mid-tier P5 coaching job. However if he leaves we need to go after Charlie Strong as he could do really well here and would be the perfect replacement

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,610
  • Days Won:  3

I know I'm in the minority but way too early for this conversation. However I do know this is a message board and speculation is part of it! 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  3,804
  • Days Won:  0

I think Calvin Magee is the next man up if not Charlie Strong. I like coaches with area ties. Even Skippy had his dad and other family in Florida and he like golf.

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  25

Only two year success Strong has had as HC was because of Teddy Bridgewater's talent. Basically anyone can win with a 1st round NFL QB, see UCF 2013.

CWT coaching record hasn't caught up with his recruiting record. For big schools that already recruit his biggest asset isn't as much value as it is here. One or two conference championships/bowl wins plus beating a few ranked teams and he can write his offer.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,756
  • Days Won:  25

If he really wanted to book the next money 5 coaching train out of town that FSU game hurt.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  715

You know what's going to happen, an unexpected P5 school will open up suddenly, and their AD will be looking for that "under the radar/rising coach" type......and that's exactly what we would have.

With that said, if the above doesn't happen, I think we will keep Taggart for another year.

If we win the AAC though, I think Taggart's chances of getting scooped up increase. It's always about, "what have you done for me lately"....nevermind the below .500 coaching record....

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

Here is what you have to keep in mind with the coaching carousel....it isn't the marquee jobs that are currently open that we have to worry about, it is the mid-to-high profile jobs that open up as a result of coaches accepting those marquee jobs. 

I don't see CWT leaving us for poor performing P5 program. Teams like Kansas, Iowa State, Kentucky, etc. just don't offer the opportunity to shine in a meaningful way. Why have a "great" season at one of those schools to finish in the middle of the pack in your conference and 8-4 or 9-3 overall when he is set to have truly great seasons at USF (10-2 to 11-1 this season and quite possibly 12-0 or 11-1 next season)? I think he is more likely to get a call from a team like Stanford or Notre Dame with multiple 10+ win years at USF.

Also, who wouldn't want to coach this team next season? We have 20 out of 24 starters returning including special teams. We play a ridiculously weak OOC schedule, and we lose Memphis and Navy as cross-conference games and replace them with Houston (who will be replacing their star QB and possibly their coach) and Tulsa. I think, if anything, we might be in danger of losing CWT after next season. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

Im Ok with it... Strong and Miles are out there... Lots of good coaches are available

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

Strong would be great here if he got a solid spread type OC.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,685
  • Days Won:  14

CWT isn't going to top tier M5 schools for the reasons already expressed by others. He also isn't going to mid-tier M5 schools, because those jobs will be filled by coaches who were recently fired from top tier M5 schools (Strong, Miles, Helfrich, etc.).

I suspect CWT bides his time, wins at least one or two AAC championships at USF to validate his coaching prowess, then considers leaving only for a M5 job in the southeast to stay relatively close to family.