• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

CWT mentioned for LSU

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,683
  • Days Won:  108

2 hours ago, ArmyBull said:

....and?  I stand by that.  

I took it to mean that you thought him leaving was a done deal.  

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,029
  • Days Won:  38

54 minutes ago, lotsofbull99 said:

We gotta shoot for Art Briles

Let's go for Briles, Petrino, and The Sweater Vest.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  1,828
  • Days Won:  12

3 minutes ago, Bourbon Bull said:

I took it to mean that you thought him leaving was a done deal.  

I do believe IF he was offered the SC job last year he would have left.  Just like I believe that if the right P5 job comes along, yes he will leave.  Is what it is. 

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

10 hours ago, Rocky Style said:

Let's go for Briles, Petrino, and The Sweater Vest.

I am beyond shocked that this guy is not back in the game yet. I just looked, apparently he is the University President at Youngstown State. What a crazy deal... if CWT were to leave, he would be the very top of the list for me. If you think that the SEC programs, USC, Miami in the day, and many others arent doing the same things as his team was doing, you're crazy. Very little implication that he "did" any of it, but, he "knew" about it... while also emailing that he was trying to deal with the knuckleheads on his team.

He has said that he is "officially retired" from coaching though...

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,582
  • Days Won:  423

13 minutes ago, Orlando Bull said:

I am beyond shocked that this guy is not back in the game yet. I just looked, apparently he is the University President at Youngstown State. What a crazy deal... if CWT were to leave, he would be the very top of the list for me. If you think that the SEC programs, USC, Miami in the day, and many others arent doing the same things as his team was doing, you're crazy. Very little implication that he "did" any of it, but, he "knew" about it... while also emailing that he was trying to deal with the knuckleheads on his team.

He has said that he is "officially retired" from coaching though...

How many successful coaches at that level have gone to a lower level (and yes folks, at this point in time we are a lower level) and had extended success there? Off the top of my head I can't think of any ....... which doesn't count for a whole lot. Have there been?

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

7 minutes ago, Triple B said:

How many successful coaches at that level have gone to a lower level (and yes folks, at this point in time we are a lower level) and had extended success there? Off the top of my head I can't think of any ....... which doesn't count for a whole lot. Have there been?

I'd count Coker's years at UTSA a success. Solich at Ohio. Not many.

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

1 minute ago, Triple B said:

It was before he was there, but, he won a national championship with Youngstown State before OSU. He was also a high school coach before that. Not sure what difference that makes in your question though... Just that he has coached successfully at a lower level.

You could say Mike Leach took a step back after his issues with ESPN... err... I mean Texas Tech.

Skip Holtz? Sadly, this is true to your question... he was here, went back to lesser conference and is having success

GOL... Success at GaTech, was the ND coach for about 45 seconds, success at UCF

Tommy Tubberville is doing OK in Cincy

Howard Schnellenberger at FAU

Nick Saban took a step back from the NFL and has been OK at Alabama :FIREdevil:

I guess it really depends on your definition of extended success... Could Bobby Petrino have made WKU a national power? Maybe, but, most guys that come back like that aren't looking to stay for too long. So, your point is taken. Tressel has been out of coaching for 5 years though. Doesn't look like he wants back in, but, if he did come back, it may be at least a little time before he is the first choice of a big time program.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,582
  • Days Won:  423

10 minutes ago, Orlando Bull said:

It was before he was there, but, he won a national championship with Youngstown State before OSU. He was also a high school coach before that. Not sure what difference that makes in your question though... Just that he has coached successfully at a lower level.

You could say Mike Leach took a step back after his issues with ESPN... err... I mean Texas Tech.

Skip Holtz? Sadly, this is true to your question... he was here, went back to lesser conference and is having success

GOL... Success at GaTech, was the ND coach for about 45 seconds, success at UCF

Tommy Tubberville is doing OK in Cincy

Howard Schnellenberger at FAU

Nick Saban took a step back from the NFL and has been OK at Alabama :FIREdevil:

I guess it really depends on your definition of extended success... Could Bobby Petrino have made WKU a national power? Maybe, but, most guys that come back like that aren't looking to stay for too long. So, your point is taken. Tressel has been out of coaching for 5 years though. Doesn't look like he wants back in, but, if he did come back, it may be at least a little time before he is the first choice of a big time program.

Yeah, I was talking about after coaching at the higher level. There have been plenty of successful ones at lower levels on their way up.

Surprisingly, I had a mental block about the one that probably most closely fits the success I was talking about. The 0fers notwithstanding, the pasty one from Oveido had a pretty nice run there .... strictly speaking of on the field stuff.

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,458
  • Days Won:  25

12 hours ago, ArmyBull said:

I do believe IF he was offered the SC job last year he would have left.  Just like I believe that if the right P5 job comes along, yes he will leave.  Is what it is. 

Just my opinion, but if he was offered almost any P5 job, he would take it. If you listen to him, he's always talking about the "big time." Yes, he would like to have that here, I just think that he would not turn down almost any opportunity to coach an SEC or ACC school. It's not like he's afraid of the challenge, but I don't think he would let the possibility pass him by.