• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

At what point is CWT safe to come back next year

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  256
  • Days Won:  0

You don't extend the guy because he himself has lowered standards here so far down that 6-6 seems like progress. It's only progress compared to his previous awful coaching jobs, which should not be ignored. Leavitt would have gotten canned for 6-6, slapped player or no. He goes 5-7, hey, way to finally beat a few teams you have a clear talent advantage over, but see ya. 6-6. Ugh. This is my doomsday scenario. Just "not awful" enough to stay, but not really giving any hope that they'll be better than a mediocre team in a bad conference either. I'm not going to freak out because UM and UCF have openings. That happens every season.  Teams fire guys. I'm not pulling a Woolard and locking a guy up over a non-disaster season out of fear of what other teams are doing. That's why we're stuck w Willie now, because they are stuck with Skip's god awful contract.

Edited by cambodia36

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  2,286
  • Days Won:  1

It is my belief that we will win at least 3 of our final five games. This staff has finally figured out how to put this team's considerable talent to good use, on both offense & defense. I wonder if Willie will bolt for a P5 school if he ends up having a successful run, or will he be as loyal as Leavitt was. Leavitt twice turned down Alabama to remain with USF, but USF was in a BCS conference at the time. I wonder if Leavitt would have turned down Alabama with our current situation, being outside the P5. My guess is yes, and I'm thinking Taggart would stay as well. Taggart will almost certainly be back next year. This team has to have alot of confidence, something it hasn't had in years, and I'm confident we'll be in a bowl, and Taggart will be here next year. If we just completely tank it, and Taggs is let go, I can see him going to FAU, and turning them into a CUSA contender, much like he did with WKU.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,037
  • Days Won:  12

It is my belief that we will win at least 3 of our final five games. This staff has finally figured out how to put this team's considerable talent to good use, on both offense & defense. I wonder if Willie will bolt for a P5 school if he ends up having a successful run, or will he be as loyal as Leavitt was. Leavitt twice turned down Alabama to remain with USF, but USF was in a BCS conference at the time. I wonder if Leavitt would have turned down Alabama with our current situation, being outside the P5. My guess is yes, and I'm thinking Taggart would stay as well. Taggart will almost certainly be back next year. This team has to have alot of confidence, something it hasn't had in years, and I'm confident we'll be in a bowl, and Taggart will be here next year. If we just completely tank it, and Taggs is let go, I can see him going to FAU, and turning them into a CUSA contender, much like he did with WKU.

I've been privy to a few conversations between CWT and a notable USF supporter. From everything that I could tell, it does eat Taggart up inside that USF hasn't done better during his tenure and he thought things would have been turned around more quickly. It seems he really wants to make this work, but admits that the reception has been difficult to deal with at times. WKU didn't have a too much a history of being world beaters, so every baby step was really well received. This kids seem to love him, the parents seem to love him even more, and he seems to genuinely care about his relationships with each and every one of them.

To paraphrase the conversation I had with the USF supporter about it "He's one of those coaches that you WANT your kid to play for -- that you let your son go across the country to play for... he's just a genuinely good guy. My concern is whether he's too good of a guy for some of these kids and whether they'll stand up and fight for him as a coach or see him as more of a friend. Sometimes a player needs a coach that just scares that **** out of him."

Personally, I haven't had that many conversations with Taggart one-on-one and from watching media reports where he kinda throws some kids under the bus or doesn't take responsibility, it's hard for me to believe or feel that, but the person I had the conversation with has absolutely no reason to lie to me about the situation, so it's a bit odd at times. I've definitely read text conversations, though, where Taggart seems absolutely emotionally wrecked because of X happening that was in no way his fault; he seems like a guy that really takes some of this stuff to heart or takes it personally.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

In my mind, he's already saved his job; the program has turned the corner. It's just now a matter of getting the results (the wins).

I can't see how the wheels would just come off now.

But pragmatically speaking, get to a bowl with 6 or 7 wins and he comes back. No bowl, we need a new direction.

• Topic Count:  2,330
  • Content Count:  21,289
  • Days Won:  10

He needs to reach 6-6 with a bowl game.  In the Bowl game if we win or lose it does not matter.  

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,199
  • Days Won:  2

Let's just enjoy what we have right now and review at end of the year.

We are on a 3 game win streak...feels nice been along time.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,455
  • Days Won:  25

I've been privy to a few conversations between CWT and a notable USF supporter. From everything that I could tell, it does eat Taggart up inside that USF hasn't done better during his tenure and he thought things would have been turned around more quickly. It seems he really wants to make this work, but admits that the reception has been difficult to deal with at times. WKU didn't have a too much a history of being world beaters, so every baby step was really well received. This kids seem to love him, the parents seem to love him even more, and he seems to genuinely care about his relationships with each and every one of them.

To paraphrase the conversation I had with the USF supporter about it "He's one of those coaches that you WANT your kid to play for -- that you let your son go across the country to play for... he's just a genuinely good guy. My concern is whether he's too good of a guy for some of these kids and whether they'll stand up and fight for him as a coach or see him as more of a friend. Sometimes a player needs a coach that just scares that **** out of him."

Personally, I haven't had that many conversations with Taggart one-on-one and from watching media reports where he kinda throws some kids under the bus or doesn't take responsibility, it's hard for me to believe or feel that, but the person I had the conversation with has absolutely no reason to lie to me about the situation, so it's a bit odd at times. I've definitely read text conversations, though, where Taggart seems absolutely emotionally wrecked because of X happening that was in no way his fault; he seems like a guy that really takes some of this stuff to heart or takes it personally.

Just curious, when did these conversations take place? Sometime before Syracuse, or after SMU? The reception should be a bit different at the moment. 

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,074
  • Days Won:  14

Let's just enjoy what we have right now and review at end of the year.

We are on a 3 game win streak...feels nice been along time.

This.  We can evaluate the season when it is over.  We have Navy this Saturday.  Go Bulls!

• Topic Count:  576
  • Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

to me, he needs 6 wins to feel safe. You have to assume Harlan wants to get his guy in place.

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

I've enjoyed these last 3 games and look forward to the remaining 5.

I was a big critic of CWT the last 2 years and up to Syracuse, but it appears he has figured some things out.  I'm pulling for him to succeed and really turn this thing around and I want to see how he can recruit with a 7 or 8 win season under his belt.

On to Navy...

• Upvote 4