• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

At what point is CWT safe to come back next year

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

He would not be in his last year. He has 2 years left. The 2017 season is his last on contract.

I know that.  If you don't extend him this offseason, then you ARE waiting until his last season.  I don't care either way, but usually they extend coaches sooner rather than later.  Waiting til the last minute can affect recruiting.

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  3,801
  • Days Won:  0

Ever think that the reason UConn and Cuse have such bad records is BECAUSE they lost to USF, otherwise they'd have better records.

Bazinga

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,680

Play the rest of the games close, show improvement in the ppg and yards per game stats like the last 3 games, blow out UCF, and he stays. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  1,828
  • Days Won:  12

Play the rest of the games close, show improvement in the ppg and yards per game stats like the last 3 games, blow out UCF, and he stays. 

So we really have folks that give him a pass with 5 wins?  Would not have thought that, regardless of in game statistics.  

• Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

Even in games he wins there are bone head decisions such as the trick play the last game and injured starters at the end of games where back ups should be winding down the clock.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,508
  • Days Won:  422

Even in games he wins there are bone head decisions such as the trick play the last game and injured starters at the end of games where back ups should be winding down the clock.

All coaches make bone headed decisions at times ... and those were ... but you evaluate by the complete body of work and he, or whoever is calling plays these last 3 games, has done a good job.

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  237
  • Days Won:  0

Minimum of 6 wins and a bowl in order for CWT to keep his job. Keeping it close does not earn the team a win, it earns them a BIG  "L"

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

If we manage to get to 8-9 wins this year, which means we either win out or just fall short, I would be on board with an extension.  I'd only do it for 2 years but like BullsFanInTx said, for recruiting it would probably be worth it. 

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,680

So we really have folks that give him a pass with 5 wins?  Would not have thought that, regardless of in game statistics.  

I would give him a pass with 5 wins if the stats and visible execution show improvement, which we have seen. We have a solid rushing game, improved qb play, consecutive best in conference recruiting classes, we have seen Taggart slowly adapt the offense to the players. I think it may continue to snowball even with 5 wins, but it really depends. 

If we score 30 in the next few games we should gat 6 wins anyway. 

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,034
  • Days Won:  20

I like CWT but i'm not sure 5-7 is going to cut it if Harland is confident that he can find better. Memphis is, on paper, the best team in the conference, we lost by a TD, and we look even better than back then. If we are truly making progress, with the way we are playing, we should be able to beat either Navy or ECU (or both).  If we drop the games against Navy and ECU, I think Harland is putting out feelers (if he hasn't already). Cincy and Temple are as tough if not tougher, so if we lose to Navy and ECU I think we'll drop both Temple and Cincinatti. At that point, what we've seen is improvement, yes, but only enough to play around with the bottom feeders of the conference. The goal is to stand out amongst the members of the AAC like Memphis, Temple, and Houston, so we need to beat them. Sure, we're showing some progress but that needs to include a win against one of the better teams in the conference. We go 1-4 to close out, that means after 3 full years, we are 11-25, no bowl games, 1-7 against the P5, and we still aren't beating the middle to top of the conference. It's a gamble to keep him around another year because if we keep him, we need to stand out. Bowl game will not be the goal, finishing at or near the top of the conference will be. If you watch your 3rd year coach lay an egg four games in a row, will you have confidence that he will be that much better next year? It's unacceptable, especially if you can get a good replacement in. However, it's a tough year to do that, with Miami and UCF needing replacements as well. We don't want to fight those two for a coach, mess up our recruiting cycle, and have current players jumping ship after losing CWT. Harland is looking for every reason to keep CWT. We need the stability, he looks to be growing, he's a good recruiter, and lord knows we don't want to pay yet another coach to coach somewhere else.

• Upvote 1