• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

At what point is CWT safe to come back next year

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

Wins and losses... eh.... if USF plays like we have the last couple of games and lose out, I would still give him another year. If we get to 5 wins and he goes back to scared coaching, he needs to go. Something clicked before that Cuse game and as long as he doesn't go back to ultra conservative, I think he can actually be a good coach. The guys seem to want to play for him, and that is huge.

Now, if he can just get the WRs some stick'em, we could actually have the potential to be very good down the final stretch of the season.

• Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  715
  • Days Won:  1

I can't figure out why some people are so quick to be so negative. Maryland was a game most people thought we would not win at the beginning. We hoped we could win it as well as beating FSU, but the stats were against us before the first ball was kicked. Memphis is still undefeated. So, we have won 4 games with Syracuse being a toss-up win. FAMU, UCON and SMU were games most people picked as wins. Going forward I think we have a chance to beat Navy, but I have not picked it as an auto-win. Most people would not have pick this as an auto-win either. Temple also fits into the same grouping as Navy. We have a chance to win, but not an auto-win. The games to watch are ECU and Cincinnati. We only need to take one to get us to a bowl. I think we may take both. UCF should be as close to auto-win as FAMU.  Right now I feel a 7 win season is very possible. Yet we have people being negative about the coach, QB, play calling, stadium, are they wearing green or white and the famous SB over QF post. I understand people wanting the team to do well and they love the school. But remember, showing a little happiness won't kill you. So slack off on all the negative......smile.....enjoy and support the team and players. They are getting better each game. They have improved greatly over what the team was 2 years ago.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  6,743
  • Days Won:  17

Can Quinton Flowers QBR be taken into consideration when deciding how long we should extend Coach Taggert?

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

Year 1 to year 2, you had to squint your eyes to see improvement. Year 2 to 3, it's burn-your-eyes-out glaring right now. Just saying the words "look forward" and predicting a USF win on the prediction thread without having to dig deep in the green & gold blood to actually type it out...priceless. No way this coach goes anywhere.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,679
  • Days Won:  108

I've been privy to a few conversations between CWT and a notable USF supporter. From everything that I could tell, it does eat Taggart up inside that USF hasn't done better during his tenure and he thought things would have been turned around more quickly. It seems he really wants to make this work, but admits that the reception has been difficult to deal with at times. WKU didn't have a too much a history of being world beaters, so every baby step was really well received. This kids seem to love him, the parents seem to love him even more, and he seems to genuinely care about his relationships with each and every one of them.

To paraphrase the conversation I had with the USF supporter about it "He's one of those coaches that you WANT your kid to play for -- that you let your son go across the country to play for... he's just a genuinely good guy. My concern is whether he's too good of a guy for some of these kids and whether they'll stand up and fight for him as a coach or see him as more of a friend. Sometimes a player needs a coach that just scares that **** out of him."

Personally, I haven't had that many conversations with Taggart one-on-one and from watching media reports where he kinda throws some kids under the bus or doesn't take responsibility, it's hard for me to believe or feel that, but the person I had the conversation with has absolutely no reason to lie to me about the situation, so it's a bit odd at times. I've definitely read text conversations, though, where Taggart seems absolutely emotionally wrecked because of X happening that was in no way his fault; he seems like a guy that really takes some of this stuff to heart or takes it personally.

Wow, if you take your 1st two paragraphs, scratch out CWT and insert CSH, change WKU to ECU and you could have posted that 3 years ago.  Edit: maybe 4 years ago.

Edited by Bourbon Bull

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,037
  • Days Won:  12

Just curious, when did these conversations take place? Sometime before Syracuse, or after SMU? The reception should be a bit different at the moment. 

All were before Syracuse.

Edited by Raetus

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,037
  • Days Won:  12

Wow, if you take your 1st two paragraphs, scratch out CWT and insert CSH, change WKU to ECU and you could have posted that 3 years ago.  Edit: maybe 4 years ago.

I actually thought the same thing, which is slightly disturbing.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  256
  • Days Won:  0

In my mind, he's already saved his job; the program has turned the corner. It's just now a matter of getting the results (the wins).

I can't see how the wheels would just come off now.

But pragmatically speaking, get to a bowl with 6 or 7 wins and he comes back. No bowl, we need a new direction.

What corner? That instead of being 1 of the worst 10 teams in D-1, they can now beat bottom 10 teams?

• Downvote 2

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,112
  • Days Won:  6

What corner? That instead of being 1 of the worst 10 teams in D-1, they can now beat bottom 10 teams?

I am not sure how you can't see the difference in the last 3 games.  They are playing better.  Even when they won games in the past it was painful to watch.  

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,679
  • Days Won:  108

I am not sure how you can't see the difference in the last 3 games.  They are playing better.  Even when they won games in the past it was painful to watch.  

They definitely look better.  But I'm wondering if we could have looked this good (or close) sooner since it really seems to be a difference in the play calling and allowing Flowers to at least attempt some passes.  The players probably didn't improve THAT much in five games.  Just Tags showing some confidence in the guys.