• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

At what point is CWT safe to come back next year

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  256
  • Days Won:  0

Ok maybe we're arguing semantics. Improved? Yes. But again I put the blame on Willie for how poorly they were playing the past 2 seasons, so I'm not readyto throw him a parade because they look competent again, with a lot of help from Tom Allen's defense and an order from higher up that they ditch his semi-pro style offense. 

But turning a corner would be more like they are without a doubt on their way to becoming a top team in the AAC, and right now, after a couple of games against some of D1's bottom feeders I'm nowhere near ready to declare that as fact. All I've seen from Willie is that he's now getting out of his own way against those teams and letting the significant talent advantage take hold. Those were basically every win Skip got here too, only to be out coached by any team that was close to, equal or better talent wise than USF. 

Let's just pump the brakes on locking Willie up long term, declaring them "on the right track" or booking our fiesta bowl tickets just yet. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

I still hold firm, if CWT gets this team to a bowl, he saves his job.

• Topic Count:  111
  • Content Count:  2,016

The improvement this year has been noticeable. Other than the Maryland game (where the team looked awful) USF has shown improvement over last year and the previous game (except for receivers in the SMU game). This would indicate that the team has turned a corner and is now beginning an upward trajectory. CWT has two years remaining on his contract so keeping him for one more year without giving a contract extension is not an unreasonable course of action. This keeps the university from making another coaching extension error but gives him time to show that this year is not a fluke.

The next four games against Navy, ECU, Temple and Cinci will be the key games on keeping Tags or not. Remember Harlan did not set a specific goal for CWT to achieve, only that the team is moving in the right direction. So far we haven't beaten a team we weren't supposed to beat, even at the beginning of the year. While Syracuse is performing better than expected the other teams are right where they are supposed to be. With UCF being in the dumps I would think that Tags needs to win at least one of the next 4 games and make decent showings against the others to keep his job. By decent showing I mean in the game with a chance to win, no game over in the third quarter types of performances (unless we are winning). If he does this I think he meets the requirement of showing the team is moving in the right direction. So another year without a contract extension would not imperil recruiting (he has two years), gives us another year to deal with the Skippy Fiasco (we still owe him for two years), and we can still give an extension next year before the end of his original contract. 

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,074
  • Days Won:  14

Decent showing doesn't cut it.  We saw that with Memphis already.  We should've won.  Wins are what counts.  2 more gets us to a bowl.  2 out of 5 is minimum for the remainder.  If we lose 4 of the 5, then trust me, no one will even remember the noticeable improvement of the last 3 games.

Edit:  And by the way, I want us to succeed at getting to a bowl game, and I think this team can do it.

Edited by MaltLiquorBull
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,013
  • Days Won:  38

I still hold firm, if CWT gets this team to a bowl, he saves his job.

AND needs to beat a terrible UCF.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  256

But they've turned the corner! 

I'd say Flowers would be the front runner for the Heisman if Fournette weren't doing so well. 

Hopefully we can keep Alabama from getting rid of Saban to go after Taggart. He's that good.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,679
  • Days Won:  108

But they've turned the corner! 

I'd say Flowers would be the front runner for the Heisman if Fournette weren't doing so well. 

Hopefully we can keep Alabama from getting rid of Saban to go after Taggart. He's that good.

My Sarcasm Alert just sounded off.  

• Upvote 2

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,539
  • Days Won:  423

My Sarcasm Alert just sounded off.  

My ******** Alert went off at the exact time ...

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  980
  • Days Won:  2

Never safe in my book.

Liking what I'm seeing all around (lately) but let's see this run out over the long term.

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  390

beat UCF and win a bowl game then he'll be safe