• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Quinton flowers

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516
  • Days Won:  0

You can't read. I said starts not games. Grothe came in on relief duty of Pat Julmiste in his first appearance. Even if you include that first game instead of the atrocious 7th start Matt had (versus Cincy) they are VERY SIMILAR. Competition is pretty even as well, arguably Flowers has had a tougher schedule to this point in their careers. Like another poster said Grothe thrived on bubble screens and made his share of dumb mistakes (his pick versus FIU almost lost us that game).

Update your numbers after the next game (when Matt's stinker vs. Cincy would be included) and we are right back to my #'s, unless Flowers gets hurt.

All numbers I cite are from sports-reference.com game logs.

Stand by my statement if Flowers is white the sub-conscious would favor supporting him instead of trashing him.

EDIT: In his rookie year Grothe had no RB's, but I would take the WR core from back then any day of the week. The overrated Amp Hill would be our best receiver today and he finished like 6th on the team in receptions

Oh so we're not going to include Matt's game vs McNeese State and instead Cincy, but are going to count Flowers against FAMU. Seems fair to me...

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  4,425
  • Days Won:  19

This would be great for the Mad Cow

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

Grothe had WR's to throw too but I don't think he had any tight ends like we do now and he has no run support.  He was our running game. 

My point is he had to put the game on his shoulders every week and if you pressured him and took away his run option we were in a tough spot.

When we have three running backs in and they are all better that what Grothe had it makes it a challenge for defenses.  

Comparing Grothe to Flowers apples to oranges.  They are asked to do different things.

Matt Grothe had a four star RB Mike Ford and we actually had other runners who ran well.... did you even watch any USF games before 2010?  I

And no... they aren't being asked to do that much differently.  I don't think some of you saw USF games... or shatty memories have polluted your minds.  Old age or something...  or maybe you just got to USF... can we get an age check around here?  Jesus...

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Matt Grothe had a four star RB Mike Ford and we actually had other runners who ran well.... did you even watch any USF games before 2010?  I

And no... they aren't being asked to do that much differently.  I don't think some of you saw USF games... or shatty memories have polluted your minds.  Old age or something...  or maybe you just got to USF... can we get an age check around here?  Jesus...

You are comparing Grothe's entire body of work to Flowers' first year.  Ford and Taylor did not come to USF until 2007.  The only running back on the roster with any game experince in Grothe's first year (2006) was Ricky Ponton and he was suspended for the first several games of 2006 and then was kicked off the team along with our best and most experienced receiver and the best DE on the roster that year.  to start the year in 2006 the total number of carries by RBs eligible to play was a grand total of zero.  roster was: Keeley Dorsey (freshman) Mo Plancher (freshman and was hurt on fourthc arry of the year), Ben Williams (soph, saw no action as a freshman) and Ponton. 

there was slightly more experience at WR that year, but not a hell of a lot more.

Over the course of his career Grothe had a better supporting cast of guys that ultimately developed into pretty good players, but in his first year, which is really the only fair comparison with Flowers at this point, Grothe had very few experienced guys to help carry the load.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508

You are comparing Grothe's entire body of work to Flowers' first year.  Ford and Taylor did not come to USF until 2007.  The only running back on the roster with any game experince in Grothe's first year (2006) was Ricky Ponton and he was suspended for the first several games of 2006 and then was kicked off the team along with our best and most experienced receiver and the best DE on the roster that year.  to start the year in 2006 the total number of carries by RBs eligible to play was a grand total of zero.  roster was: Keeley Dorsey (freshman) Mo Plancher (freshman and was hurt on fourthc arry of the year), Ben Williams (soph, saw no action as a freshman) and Ponton. 

there was slightly more experience at WR that year, but not a hell of a lot more.

Over the course of his career Grothe had a better supporting cast of guys that ultimately developed into pretty good players, but in his first year, which is really the only fair comparison with Flowers at this point, Grothe had very few experienced guys to help carry the load.

I won't argue that.  But think of this... we have a true freshman starting at the slot and a true soph at the other WR.  I agree that the body of work can't be compared until the end of the season... they are also in two different offenses, too.  I get what you're saying and I'm not discounting it.  But I believe at the end of the year a fair comparison can be made.  It's done at other schools all of the time... 

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550

Man... Who really cares. Grothe was Grothe and Flowers is Flowers.

As long as Flowers continues to grow and as a QB I'll be happy

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

We need a waiver for him to use a Nerf football.

• Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Why compare MG to QF? What is the point? I don't give two violation about MG, that was yesterday he is gone. As long as we win games I could care less. 

• Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Seems really fair to compare thus kid after 7 games to an all time great Bull. We are delusional as a fan base. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,632
  • Days Won:  424

At least that steered the conversation away from that nonsense that we'd be 5-1 or 6-0 this year with that stiff from UConn qbing us ...

• Upvote 1