• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Quinton flowers

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

No. I think the decision making by Shireffs was awful and would certainly not call him a "good QB". 

Thank you.  He padded stats when they were down 28-13 which forced them to pass and made poor decisions.  Not impressed.  

• Topic Count:  106
  • Content Count:  1,318
  • Days Won:  2

I think some of you are suffering from a deep seeded racism when it comes to this topic. Over the first 7 starts QF compares very favorably too the best QB in USF history: 

GrotheFlowers
Completions10683
Attempts173137
%61.3%60.6%
Yards12641157
Yards per Attempt7.318.45
TD810
INT88

Rushing Yards424468
TD64

Record4-3

3-3 *  no decision in SMU game, team won

Edited by Capital H
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  39
  • Days Won:  0

If Sherriff played for the Bulls, Flowers would never see playing time (at qb). He (Sherriff) is a stronger more accurate passer, much better pocket awareness, just as good (if not better) runner. Combine that with the ability to make all the throws and you have a better qb. Sure he forced the ball a few times, that happens with most young qb's. Perhaps you didn't notice that Flowers threw two god awful passes for interceptions. I'm not a UConn fan, but I know a good young qb when I see him. He gave a good defense fits today. 

• Downvote 6

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

I think some of you are suffering from a deep seeded racism when it comes to this topic. Over the first 7 starts QF compares very favorably too the best QB in USF history: 

Grothe Flowers
Completions 106 83
Attempts 173 137
% 61.3% 60.6%
Yards 1264 1157
Yards per Attempt 7.31 8.45
TD 8 10
INT 8 8

Rushing Yards 424 468
TD 6 4

Record 4-3

Think the word you were looking for was "favoritism", no one here cares whether he's black, white, asian, or hindu indian. But those stats are very interesting and surprising to me--good post!

PS - my favoritism alarm went off when you actually compared him to MG, then I actually read it. :GoBulls:

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  262
  • Days Won:  2

GrotheFlowers
Completions10683
Attempts173137
%61.3%60.6%
Yards12641157
TD810
INT88

Rushing Yards424468
TD64

Record4-3

We're USF fans, not George O'Leary fans.  No racism here.  Interesting comparison to Matt there.  

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516

GrotheFlowers
Completions10683
Attempts173137
%61.3%60.6%
Yards12641157
TD810
INT88

Rushing Yards424468
TD64

Record4-3

First of all, the racism statement is complete nonsense. Second, where in the world are you getting your numbers from??

1. Grothe had 9 passing TDs through his first 7 games and 7 INTs not 8 and 8. He also added 7 rushing TDs during his first 7 games. So he had 16 total TDs vs 7 INTs.
  2. How many of those 137 attempts are the jet sweep which is 100% completion percentage for Flowers? 25? 30? Say he actually throws the ball downfield on those and his completion percentage which is worse than Grothe's in the chart above ends up being even lower.
  3. Flowers has 14 total TDs (10 passing) vs 6 INTs (wrong number in the chart again). 
  4. Grothe had 1,388 yards passing through 7 games in 165 attempts. Comes out to a 8.41 yards per attempt.He also completed 104 of his first 165 pass attempts. Comes out to a 63% for completions. 
  5. Grothe's record through his first 7 games was 5-2.
  6. Flowers has completed 83/137 for 1,046 yards which comes out to be a 7.635 yards per attempt.

So here is the REAL break down.

Completion %: Grothe 104 completed, 165 attempted pases = 63% 

Flowers 83 completed, 137 attempted passes = 60.5%

Pass Yards:    Grothe 1,388 yards

Flowers 1,046 yards 

Yards/Att.:      Grothe 8.41

Flowers 7.635

Record:          Grothe 5-2

Flowers 3-3* Let's be honest, would be 3-4 had Taggart ran him out there for the final possession of the SMU game.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/gamelog/_/id/173139/year/2006/matt-grothe

http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/3139591/quinton-flowers

http://espn.go.com/college-football/boxscore?gameId=400547712

Good try though. I really like what I've seen out of Flowers. Every game Taggart seems to trust him more and Flowers has rewarded him by playing really well. You obviously got way ahead of yourself above, or purposely fudged numbers. 

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

Shireff had double the passing yards and more rushing yards than QF.  You prolly think QF is better than Paxton Lynch also.

But yet.. QF came out as the winning QB

That's all that matters for this game.

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  725

QF isn't a good QB, however he is a good football player.

QF has mad scrambling skills and serviceable arm skills.  I also like the way he is managing the game. 

He is winning and he has gotten better as season has gone by.

^This

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Flowers is progressing nicely.  better than i thought or expected he would.  i don't the interceptions downfield as long as they are not completely stupid.  interceptions will happen if he is in a position to try to make plays.  just keep them to a minimum and as long as they are not needless.

Any comparison to grothe in his first year is ridiculous.  completely different situations.  Grothe has zero help the first few games of his first year.  there was only one running back on the roster with any experience at all  those first few games his  and he was not even a real running back.  grothe was forced into a position to have to make things happen...and he did.  

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  953
  • Days Won:  6

First of all, the racism statement is complete nonsense. Second, where in the world are you getting your numbers from??

1. Grothe had 9 passing TDs through his first 7 games and 7 INTs not 8 and 8. He also added 7 rushing TDs during his first 7 games. So he had 16 total TDs vs 7 INTs.
  2. How many of those 137 attempts are the jet sweep which is 100% completion percentage for Flowers? 25? 30? Say he actually throws the ball downfield on those and his completion percentage which is worse than Grothe's in the chart above ends up being even lower.
  3. Flowers has 14 total TDs (10 passing) vs 6 INTs (wrong number in the chart again). 
  4. Grothe had 1,388 yards passing through 7 games in 165 attempts. Comes out to a 8.41 yards per attempt.He also completed 104 of his first 165 pass attempts. Comes out to a 63% for completions. 
  5. Grothe's record through his first 7 games was 5-2.
  6. Flowers has completed 83/137 for 1,046 yards which comes out to be a 7.635 yards per attempt.

So here is the REAL break down.

Completion %: Grothe 104 completed, 165 attempted pases = 63% 

Flowers 83 completed, 137 attempted passes = 60.5%

Pass Yards:    Grothe 1,388 yards

Flowers 1,046 yards 

Yards/Att.:      Grothe 8.41

Flowers 7.635

Record:          Grothe 5-2

Flowers 3-3* Let's be honest, would be 3-4 had Taggart ran him out there for the final possession of the SMU game.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/gamelog/_/id/173139/year/2006/matt-grothe

http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/3139591/quinton-flowers

http://espn.go.com/college-football/boxscore?gameId=400547712

Good try though. I really like what I've seen out of Flowers. Every game Taggart seems to trust him more and Flowers has rewarded him by playing really well. You obviously got way ahead of yourself above, or purposely fudged numbers. 

I Will say even with your corrected stats Matt isn't in a different league. Flowers is in the ball park.