• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Quinton flowers

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

Stats aren't that much different the big difference is Grothe had more accuracy passing.

That's ok Flowers is a qb in a different offense so it works for him...though if he had more accuracy this offense would be scary good...now they are just avg...which is a big improvement over the last 3 years.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516
  • Days Won:  0

I Will say even with your corrected stats Matt isn't in a different league. Flowers is in the ball park.

Not necessarily saying he's in a different league, but you've gotta look at the right numbers in order to even have the conversation...

Flower's completion % is helped tremendously by the jet sweep play we run 3,4, 5+ times a game. Doesn't take long for INTs to add up either. Flowers is till 40 or so attempts fewer than Matt was through 7 games. 

My point was not to talk badly about Flowers or point out he's not good. I like Flowers A LOT and think he's done a fantastic job since Taggart has allowed him to play, but Grothe was clearly the better QB through his first 7 games.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Not necessarily saying he's in a different league, but you've gotta look at the right numbers in order to even have the conversation...

Flower's completion % is helped tremendously by the jet sweep play we run 3,4, 5+ times a game. Doesn't take long for INTs to add up either. Flowers is till 40 or so attempts fewer than Matt was through 7 games. 

My point was not to talk badly about Flowers or point out he's not good. I like Flowers A LOT and think he's done a fantastic job since Taggart has allowed him to play, but Grothe was clearly the better QB through his first 7 games.

Every one of those little flips forward to the WR is a run, but he gets the pass credit for it. I understand why you run it, it means a fumble is a dead ball. But you're right, it definitely helps his numbers.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

Because Matt Grothe didn't throw bubble screens and actually a ton of screen passes to RBs... I mean I think some people are mis-remembering him.  Some on here who were critical of him now praise him.  Funny how that happens isn't it.  first Matt was too short and didn't have a big arm... Then BJ was a WR playing QB... now Flowers...  This does feel like old times again. I'm starting to think some of you just don't like a certain type of QB.  

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,117
  • Days Won:  6

Flowers is progressing nicely.  better than i thought or expected he would.  i don't the interceptions downfield as long as they are not completely stupid.  interceptions will happen if he is in a position to try to make plays.  just keep them to a minimum and as long as they are not needless.

Any comparison to grothe in his first year is ridiculous.  completely different situations.  Grothe has zero help the first few games of his first year.  there was only one running back on the roster with any experience at all  those first few games his  and he was not even a real running back.  grothe was forced into a position to have to make things happen...and he did.  

Grothe, a lot like BJ, had to do it all by himself.  He was our best QB and I would take him back in a heartbeat.  He had guts and was a gamer but teams eventually would play to stop him.  Since he had little help it eventually worked.  

Flowers has more playmakers around him (although very young).  We have talent at WR and TE's and of course a running game.  That being said, he is a solid QB and I look forward to his development.  If he takes the next step we will be a tough team to beat.

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  3,749
  • Days Won:  3

Bruh, Flowers isn't even close to Grothe. GTFO with that nonsense. The teams Flowers is playing aren't even in the same realm of toughness either.

Grothe > Daniels > Flowers 

• Upvote 2

That moment you realize Grothe threw to 2 guys that played in the NFL... 

I'm not sure where this "Grothe didn't have the weapons Flowers had and had to do it all himself" chatter is absolutely crazy.   It tells me that some of you either don't remember the Grothe years, or are just absolutely making up your own stories.  This is kinda crazy. 

It's also not a smart idea to compare those three until Flowers years are done.  Or he wins a Bowl game or something.  

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  953
  • Days Won:  6

I was a huge Grothe fan (unprovoked Facebook politics messed that up for me) but some of you are making him out to be a God among men. He didn't do it alone, most of our big wins came against big schools in a down year. He gave us A LOT of wonderful memories and I will always respect him as a BULL but come on man. NFL caliber defense AND NFL caliber wide receivers (assumjng what a fellow bull said earlier is true). May not have had much of a running game, but the game itself was different back then. The team's we are playing now aren't slouchess. The American is getting some much deserved respect from how hard we all play. I agree this conversation is coming too early, but it's not unreasonable to think that QF, if he continues to play hard can surpass the QB numbers before him.