• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

I get that we live in a culture where everyone deserves a trophy but bowl games are nothing special. you only have to be average(6-6) to go to one. 7-5 is just above average. he averaged 6 wins and 6 losses over his 10 years. that's average

So you agree Holtz has been an above average coach at his pre and post USF stops. See, that wasn't so hard, was it?

13-13 at La Tech is average.

yes he was just above average at ECU. never lost less than 5 games though.

You can do it...you're so close. I'll even overlook a disclaimer, like "Skip is seems to be doing well at LA Tech despite a rough first year."

so you admit that 13-13 is average

Not when you look at what Dykes left for him. And LA Tech seems to be more than happy with his progress. So I'm going to defer to their assessment that he is "above average" and doing just fine.

no 13-13 is average

Dykes left him 18 of 22 starters from last years team. I believe Holtz left Taggart 11 of 22 from last years team if I'm not mistaken

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

http://www.thenewsstar.com/story/sports/college/louisiana-tech/2015/07/22/holtz-tech-unfinished-business-despite-magical-season/30522533/

You should email the local paper and let them know you don't agree with their assessment of his 2014 being "magical" and they should get with the program.

Also, maybe cc the coaches in Conference USA. Those idiots think Holtz is going to win the conference this year.

Edited by JTrue

http://www.thenewsstar.com/story/sports/college/louisiana-tech/2015/07/22/holtz-tech-unfinished-business-despite-magical-season/30522533/

You should email the local paper and let them know you don't agree with their assessment of his 2014 being "magical" and they should get with the program.

Also, maybe cc the coaches in Conference USA. Those idiots think Holtz is going to win the conference this year.

you should read more than just the headline. it was Holtz who said the season was magical.

Louisiana Tech coach Skip Holtz best described the Bulldogs’ rapid rise to the top of the Conference USA West Division in 2014 as a “fun†and “magical†year.

preseason prognostications mean nothing. we were picked to finish 2nd in the big east in 2011. how did that work out for us??

USF went 5-7 overall and 1-6 in the BIG EAST last season, but the Bulls were the solid No. 2 pick in the preseason poll with 176 points thanks to the return of 17 starters from last season. The Bulls saw three of their last four losses come on field goals either as time expired or in overtime last year, but head coach Skip Holtz can lean on veteran quarterback B.J. Daniels and a stout defense to turn things around.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,712
  • Days Won:  109

I get that we live in a culture where everyone deserves a trophy but bowl games are nothing special. you only have to be average(6-6) to go to one. 7-5 is just above average. he averaged 6 wins and 6 losses over his 10 years. that's average

So you agree Holtz has been an above average coach at his pre and post USF stops. See, that wasn't so hard, was it?

You can do it...you're so close. I'll even overlook a disclaimer, like "Skip is seems to be doing well at LA Tech despite a rough first year."

Not when you look at what Dykes left for him. And LA Tech seems to be more than happy with his progress. So I'm going to defer to their assessment that he is "above average" and doing just fine.

no 13-13 is average

Dykes left him 18 of 22 starters from last years team. I believe Holtz left Taggart 11 of 22 from last years team if I'm not mistaken

Maybe I'm misunderstanding but from my count La Tech lost 31 seniors when Skip arrived.  http://www.cfbstats.com/2012/team/366/roster.html

• Topic Count:  554
  • Content Count:  14,411
  • Days Won:  13

I know we've been a bad football team, but this hurts a bit. The Tin men at 62, and ol' Skippy's LA Tech Bulldogs at 50. Ouch.http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2556518-college-football-rankings-2015-power-ranking-all-128-teams-for-week-1

Where are we ranked? I don't have time for a slideshow that's going to take me 115 clicks to find out USF sucks.
96th.

Skip might actually be a good coach????...he had success at ECU and now in Louisiana. Perhaps it was that Indian Burial Ground Curse once again that plagued his tenure with us. Or micromanagement from Doug? Who knows...let's see how his season plays out and good luck to him and his guys. Our current coach's former team is ranked at #51..he helped build that one up to that ranking.

Skippy didn't build anything, not sure if you've heard about a guy named Sonny Dykes? But he put La Tech on the map while Skippy was crashing our program.
The same Sonny Dykes that left when he realized his roster peeked with one magic season? 5-7, 8-5, 9-3 and peace out. Also, 31 seniors left the year Dykes did and Holtz inherited a team with a total of 6 returning starters off of offense, defense, and special teams. That's not building a program.

I hope someone brings up the golf story again.

Cool story bro.

But I'd rather have the coach that rising over the one crashing things into the ground. I have no faith in daddy's little boy, regardless of what he does at the lower levels.

We are at the lower level and Skip had back to back conference wins against many of the current AAC teams while they were in the CUSA.

no 13-13 is average

Maybe I'm misunderstanding but from my count La Tech lost 31 seniors when Skip arrived.  http://www.cfbstats.com/2012/team/366/roster.html

I ran through this the last time you guys trotted out the 6 returning starters excuse. Dixon, their RB, led the country in scoring the year before Holtz came and somehow he was not included among those as a starter.  this is from a usa today article

And while there are only two returning starters on offense, Dykes' system shuffled so many skill players in and out of the lineup that many projected starters held substantial roles for the Bulldogs a season ago. (This is especially true at the wide receiver position.) The number is troubling; it's also a bit misleading.

Seniors don't really mean a thing. First of all it doesn't say whether they were scholarship players and secondly every program in the country will lose about 1/4 of the team every year to graduation. Look at our roster that year. We had 26 seniors.

http://www.cfbstats.com/2012/team/651/roster.html

Last year skip had 18 of 22 starters that were brought in by Dykes. Skip brought in a new QB, Sterling Griffin another young receiver and a young DB that cracked the lineup in his 2nd year.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

you should read more than just the headline. it was Holtz who said the season was magical.

Louisiana Tech coach Skip Holtz best described the Bulldogs’ rapid rise to the top of the Conference USA West Division in 2014 as a “fun†and “magical†year.

preseason prognostications mean nothing. we were picked to finish 2nd in the big east in 2011. how did that work out for us??

USF went 5-7 overall and 1-6 in the BIG EAST last season, but the Bulls were the solid No. 2 pick in the preseason poll with 176 points thanks to the return of 17 starters from last season. The Bulls saw three of their last four losses come on field goals either as time expired or in overtime last year, but head coach Skip Holtz can lean on veteran quarterback B.J. Daniels and a stout defense to turn things around.

So pretty much every paper in LA likes him and is high on his work so far. They have all repeatedly praised his rebuilding project in the wake of Dykes's cratering the roster and leaving him with nothing. The other coaches in his conference have picked his team t win the conference. But you know better then all of them?

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Skip was indeed a bad recruiter here and not because of the sling and shoot incident. Part of it was his fault and part of it was imposed on him by the administration. Skip wasn't in over his head but he was definitely sold a different bill of goods than what he walked into. Skip had no idea what he was really walking into and by the summer of his last season had all but checked out in a lot of ways....

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Skip was indeed a bad recruiter here and not because of the sling and shoot incident. Part of it was his fault and part of it was imposed on him by the administration. Skip wasn't in over his head but he was definitely sold a different bill of goods than what he walked into. Skip had no idea what he was really walking into and by the summer of his last season had all but checked out in a lot of ways....

Checked out after signing an extension a few months earlier?  

Nice.  

I don't know how true that is, but that speaks a few volumes if it is.