• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Horrible hire

The hire never bothered me. But it was all downhill from there.

Not all downhill from the hire. 2010 season was level with a spike at the end with our first bowl win against a BCS team. 4-0 start in 2011 ...... and then came Pitt, and the plummeting commenced.

True. It was 1 1/2 years of status quo, 1 1/2 years of bad. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,659
  • Days Won:  424

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/coaches/skip-holtz-1.html

Man skip was such a great coach, he really built a dynasty at ECU against some quality opponents.

3 CUSA East Division Champs, 2 CUSA championships ... 6 wins over BCS teams incuding WVU and Va Tech, a win over Boise State ... Seriously, slam him for what he didn't do here but trying to minimize what he did at ECU is just plain silly.

So is blindly worshipping a guy who didn't work out here.

Nobody's worshiping anybody ... just throwing out some facts. He didn't work out here but it doesn't diminish what he did before coming here.

...his tenure at ECU was analogous to Dykes's time at La Tech.
So when you said Dykes put LA Tech on the map, you mean Holtz put ECU on the map as well?
It's fair to say that he did, but I was referring to him crashing our program. They both helped to infuse life into floundering programs saying that shouldn't come at the cost of the others accomplishments.

I have yet to see a single person on this board argue Holtz shouldn't have been fired from USF. But like Trip said, that doesn't mean he didn't do a **** good job before coming here and he's doing just fine since leaving.

I'll never understand why people would defend a coach that was without a doubt an absolute failure here.

he did o.k. at ECU. he didn't do a **** fine job.

he has never lost fewer than 5 games anywhere he has been.

he has a record of 67-61 over his last 10 years which include all of ECU, USF and La Tech.

that's essentially 6-6 every year on average.

according to that link he has had only 2 seasons where his SOS was above average and that was just barely and they were the last 2 years here.

he is an average coach at best and he hit his ceiling.

Go back and check out that chart again. The SRS is the real indicator for the coach on that chart and he was above average for all his years at ECU and his first two here .... and as a fan of USF, I think 3 division titles and 2 conference championships WOULD qualify as a **** fine job.

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  480
  • Days Won:  0

What exactly is the argument here? Holtz has been successful at each of his stops except USF, including his current stint with LTech.  There is really no debate to this.  I don't understand the depths or nature of USF's sorrow dating back to the end of his tenure but I don't think he was the cause of it.  

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

What exactly is the argument here? Holtz has been successful at each of his stops except USF, including his current stint with LTech.  There is really no debate to this.  I don't understand the depths or nature of USF's sorrow dating back to the end of his tenure but I don't think he was the cause of it.  

67-61 over 10 years is hardly what I'd call successful. essentially 6-6 every year.

he was an average coach who faced a below average strength of schedule.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/coaches/skip-holtz-1.html

Man skip was such a great coach, he really built a dynasty at ECU against some quality opponents.

3 CUSA East Division Champs, 2 CUSA championships ... 6 wins over BCS teams incuding WVU and Va Tech, a win over Boise State ... Seriously, slam him for what he didn't do here but trying to minimize what he did at ECU is just plain silly.

So is blindly worshipping a guy who didn't work out here.

Nobody's worshiping anybody ... just throwing out some facts. He didn't work out here but it doesn't diminish what he did before coming here.

...his tenure at ECU was analogous to Dykes's time at La Tech.
So when you said Dykes put LA Tech on the map, you mean Holtz put ECU on the map as well?
It's fair to say that he did, but I was referring to him crashing our program. They both helped to infuse life into floundering programs saying that shouldn't come at the cost of the others accomplishments.

I have yet to see a single person on this board argue Holtz shouldn't have been fired from USF. But like Trip said, that doesn't mean he didn't do a **** good job before coming here and he's doing just fine since leaving.

I'll never understand why people would defend a coach that was without a doubt an absolute failure here.

he did o.k. at ECU. he didn't do a **** fine job.

he has never lost fewer than 5 games anywhere he has been.

he has a record of 67-61 over his last 10 years which include all of ECU, USF and La Tech.

that's essentially 6-6 every year on average.

according to that link he has had only 2 seasons where his SOS was above average and that was just barely and they were the last 2 years here.

he is an average coach at best and he hit his ceiling.

Go back and check out that chart again. The SRS is the real indicator for the coach on that chart and he was above average for all his years at ECU and his first two here .... and as a fan of USF, I think 3 division titles and 2 conference championships WOULD qualify as a **** fine job.

so according to that indicator he had a better year here in 2011 at 5-7 than he did in 2010 at 8-5??? yeah not buying that.

67-61 is average against a below average schedule.

oh and if you notice his totals for that column all end up as negatives at all 3 places.

Edited by Bull94

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

There are so many reasons to hope CWT knocks a long-ball with this season. Burying some of the coaching butt-hurt is at the top of my list.

The hate of Holtz leads to two beliefs:

• Holtz failed at USF, therefore, his 51-40 record not at USF and conference titles, bowl wins, etc. are not to be acknowledged
  • acknowledgment of any sort of success by Holtz before or after USF means you do not think he should have been fired
Edited by JTrue

• Holtz failed at USF, therefore, his 51-40 record not at USF and conference titles, bowl wins, etc. are not to be acknowledged
  • acknowledgment of any sort of success by Holtz before or after USF means you do not think he should have been fired

still don't hate the guy just don't understand how a Bulls fan can defend him. he was lousy here.  I didn't think he was a homerun hire when we made it but i didn't disagree with it. he has been a mediocre coach with a mediocre record against below average competition for most of his career.

Taggart turned 39 recently. when skip turned 39 he was fired/demoted as OC from his own father's program.

Edited by Bull94

What exactly is the argument here? Holtz has been successful at each of his stops except USF, including his current stint with LTech. There is really no debate to this. I don't understand the depths or nature of USF's sorrow dating back to the end of his tenure but I don't think he was the cause of it.

still don't hate the guy just don't understand how a Bulls fan can defend him. he was lousy here.

Thank you for proving my second point. ECU and LA Tech are not USF.

Edited by JTrue

What exactly is the argument here? Holtz has been successful at each of his stops except USF, including his current stint with LTech. There is really no debate to this. I don't understand the depths or nature of USF's sorrow dating back to the end of his tenure but I don't think he was the cause of it.

still don't hate the guy just don't understand how a Bulls fan can defend him. he was lousy here.

Thank you for proving my second point. ECU and LA Tech are not USF.

not sure how that proves your second point. I did not believe he was all that successful at either place. average really. never fewer than 5 losses in a season