• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Woulard Seeking Waver to Play this Season

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  7,040
  • Days Won:  11

If we have a guy that is anywhere near the list you provided, I'd be ecstatic.

Well if I recall(not that it matters now) but couldn't we have had Teddy B but Skip said he wouldn't give him the starting spot and Coach Strong did.

i remember his visiting, but I don't remember reading anything along those lines. also, wasn't BJ the starter at that point?

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  831
  • Days Won:  0

Well if I recall(not that it matters now) but couldn't we have had Teddy B but Skip said he wouldn't give him the starting spot and Coach Strong did.

i remember his visiting, but I don't remember reading anything along those lines. also, wasn't BJ the starter at that point?

I stand corrected. Sorry he didn't start until game 4.

Edited by fla331boy

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,570
  • Days Won:  423

I'm pretty sure that was nothing but message board bs conjecture ...

• Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

One or two years to start is normal for even the best QBs coming out of high school, that doesn't mean they're project quarterbacks. They have to learn the system, which is different and more complex than they had in high school. By that definition every every QB is a project quarterback out of high school. I don't think that's the right way to characterize it.

We aren't talking generally, we are talking specifically. Just because many players often wait one or two years doesn't mean all of them are "project QBs" (smooth strawman though), but the phrase is well known between coaches and fans alike. Woulard was known as one coming out of high school because he had plenty of skill and good physical attributes, but had yet to demonstrate the ability to put it all together. Perhaps you think he's going to come in as a fully developed, polished QB? For every Andrew Luck or Matthew Stafford (your ridiculous comparison points not mine), the road is littered with guys that had skill but didn't pan out for one a million other reasons.

The whole point is that he has never played at the college level so we have no idea whether he is going to be good or not. How is that concept so problematic for you?

Edited by WWMJD

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,570
  • Days Won:  423

One or two years to start is normal for even the best QBs coming out of high school, that doesn't mean they're project quarterbacks. They have to learn the system, which is different and more complex than they had in high school. By that definition every every QB is a project quarterback out of high school. I don't think that's the right way to characterize it.

I disagree and I think it all depends on the situation.

There have been plenty of true freshman to play right away and if a team is short at the QB position like we are, you're going to see plenty of freshman start. Here's a quick reminder of those youngsters that played right away.

Brett Hundley UCLA 

Teddy Bridewater L'Ville 

Marcus Mariota Oregon 

Cory Robinson Troy 

Aaron Murray UGA 

Colton Browning ULM 

Danny Obrien Maryland 

Andrew Luck Stanford 

Matt Barkley USC 

Kellen More Boise St. 

Colin Kapernick Nevada 

Case Keenum Houston 

He said one or two years is the norm and it's really pretty hard to dispute that. You're always going to have exceptions to a rule, which is what that list is ...

Which, however, still has nothing to do with whether AW will be a good college qb or not ...

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,614
  • Days Won:  51

We aren't talking generally, we are talking specifically. Just because many players often wait one or two years doesn't mean all of them are "project QBs" (smooth strawman though), but the phrase is well known between coaches and fans alike. Woulard was known as one coming out of high school because he had plenty of skill and good physical attributes, but had yet to demonstrate the ability to put it all together. Perhaps you think he's going to come in as a fully developed, polished QB? For every Andrew Luck or Matthew Stafford (your ridiculous comparison points not mine), the road is littered with guys that had skill but didn't pan out for one a million other reasons.

The whole point is that he has never played at the college level so we have no idea whether he is going to be good or not. How is that concept so problematic for you?

Damnn bro, did you have a tough morning???

• Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

I disagree and I think it all depends on the situation.

There have been plenty of true freshman to play right away and if a team is short at the QB position like we are, you're going to see plenty of freshman start. Here's a quick reminder of those youngsters that played right away.

Brett Hundley UCLA

Teddy Bridewater L'Ville

Marcus Mariota Oregon

Cory Robinson Troy

Aaron Murray UGA

Colton Browning ULM

Danny Obrien Maryland

Andrew Luck Stanford

Matt Barkley USC

Kellen More Boise St.

Colin Kapernick Nevada

Case Keenum Houston

At quick glance you have at least 2 redshirt freshmen on that list, meaning they sat out a year and some only played part time their redshirt freshmen year. And some that played their true freshman year only play part of the season on and off and shared the duties with other quarterbacks because they weren't ready to start but there was no clear starter, no one was ready to start.

• Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

It's just frustrating because this same thing happens every single year. Half the board convinces themselves that the guy we have isn't half as good as the next guy on the depth chart. I know it's just the old saying that the backup QB is always the most popular guy on the roster, but it's maddening to see the same people who were talking about Matt Floyd's coming ascension, or Mike White being the next Peyton Manning, or Taggart having some beef with the superstar Steven Bench, blather on about how this kid who has never played a down of college ball and couldn't learn the playbook at UCLA over two years is gonna come in a week before camp starts and somehow change the course of the team. Even if QB was our only problem (far from it), it's like some people live in a different universe.

Edited by WWMJD

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

It's just frustrating because this same thing happens every single year. Half the board convinces themselves that the guy we have isn't half as good as the next guy on the depth chart. I know it's just the old saying that the backup QB is always the most popular guy on the roster, but it's maddening to see the same people who were talking about Matt Floyd's coming ascension, or Mike White being the next Peyton Manning, or Taggart having some beef with the superstar Steven Bench, blather on about how this kid who has never played a down of college ball and couldn't learn the playbook at UCLA over two years is gonna come in a week before camp starts and somehow change the course of the team. Even if QB was our only problem (far from it), it's like some people live in a different universe.

Was it written somewhere that he couldn't learn the playbook? If so, please provide a link.

• Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

Who said he couldn't learn the playbook? It appears they have three equally talented quarterbacks, none stood out. That's a lot different than he can't play football and doesn't know how to learn a playbook.